• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GS XMEN #1 cgc 9.8 & more!!!

97 posts in this topic

"I don't think a 9.6 could be turned into a 9.8. "

Very hard to do................

Steve;

I am also in agreement with you here since pressing would usually not resolve differences in defects between a 9.6 and a 9.8. I believe that pressing can move a book from 8.0 up to 8.5 or even 9.0 (or somewhere in that type of a range).

Can you please explain to me how (dry) cleaning and pressing can move a book up from 6.5 to 9.0 or 7.5 up to 9.4. Although these are extreme examples, the differences here can also mean big money when it comes to GA books and is of some concern to me since I am primarily a GA collector.

Thanks in advance for any input which you may be able to provide here. thumbsup2.gif

Real quick, but a real example:

Someone I know very well, correctly and safely, pressed out a light non-color breaking 4" crease and a slight spine roll and got some dirt off of the back cover. The comic moved from a 7.0 to a 9.0. Of course he told me this after CGC had graded the book tongue.gif

Someone I know very well, correctly and safely, pressed out a light non-color breaking 4" crease and a slight spine roll and got some dirt off of the back cover. The comic moved from a 7.0 to a 9.0. Of course he told me this after CGC had graded the book tongue.gif

Steve, this may not relate exactly to the topic but your statement made me think of something. Has there ever been a case, or COULD there ever be a case where CGC has to recall a book due to the fact that you find something out that was not spotted during grading? Like in the example above, let's say that the "restoration" or clean/press job WAS something that CGC would notate, but misses, and then find out from the submitter after grading as above "Hey I tricked you, you didn't see it.." could or would you be able to recall the book to regrade? Could a situation like this ever arise? Just curious. Thanks------Sid

Steve;

Thanks for your quick response.

With respect to your last senctence, it leaves me with a question that I have always wondered about. CGC and you have always stated that dry cleaning and restoration, if done correctly, is not considered to be restoration.

What is meant by the term "done correctly". Is the correctness of the cleaning and restoration determined by the ability of CGC to detect the work being done. In other words, if CGC can detect cleaning and pressing without a doubt, then this means that it was performed incorrectly and the book is given a purple label. If CGC cannot detect cleaning and pressing without a doubt, then this means it was done properly and is given a blue label. Or on the other hand, is the correctness of the cleaning and pressing referring to the actual quality of the work being done.

I hope C & P being correctly done refers to the latter since it implies a degree of integrity to the entire process. If it is referring to the former, then it simply means that C & P is done correctly as long as you can pull a fast one on CGC. To me, this last one would be a bad definition of correct C & P and also represent a sad state of affairs. frown.gif

Thanks again for your input since it is always good to have an authoritative opinion. thumbsup2.gif

Steve;

Thanks for your quick response.

With respect to your last senctence, it leaves me with a question that I have always wondered about. CGC and you have always stated that dry cleaning and restoration, if done correctly, is not considered to be restoration.

What is meant by the term "done correctly". Is the correctness of the cleaning and restoration determined by the ability of CGC to detect the work being done. In other words, if CGC can detect cleaning and pressing without a doubt, then this means that it was performed incorrectly and the book is given a purple label. If CGC cannot detect cleaning and pressing without a doubt, then this means it was done properly and is given a blue label. Or on the other hand, is the correctness of the cleaning and pressing referring to the actual quality of the work being done.

I hope C & P being correctly done refers to the latter since it implies a degree of integrity to the entire process. If it is referring to the former, then it simply means that C & P is done correctly as long as you can pull a fast one on CGC. To me, this last one would be a bad definition of correct C & P and also represent a sad state of affairs. frown.gif

Thanks again for your input since it is always good to have an authoritative opinion. thumbsup2.gif

Actually, "correctly" means it is mostly how the work is done. That said though, if it is done correctly, it is extremely hard, if not impossible to tell if a comic was pressed at all.

Now cleaning is another matter. If a comic is taken apart and "bathed" then CGC considers it restoration. If someone takes some wonder bread or dry erasure and does it correctly, once again, it is extremely hard, if not impossible to tell if it was cleaned at all.

I hope this helps a little confused-smiley-013.gif

So what happens when someone takes a piece of Wonderbread to a comic and does it "incorrectly", and although no damage was done, it's quite obvious the book was cleaned by an amateur.

So what happens when someone takes a piece of Wonderbread to a comic and does it "incorrectly", and although no damage was done, it's quite obvious the book was cleaned by an amateur.

Actually if it is done incorrectly, damage is done, and we down grade for any defect on a comic. The scale starts at 10.0 and goes down from there depending on the amount and severity of defects/damage........

Actually if it is done incorrectly, damage is done, and we down grade for any defect on a comic.

Got it. The act of dry cleaning is not the issue, but the level of damage that is done through this procedure. thumbsup2.gif

Makes sense, though I still don't agree with the process.

I'm still a little confused by all of this..... confused.gif

If pressing isn't restoration.... why does CGC downgrade a book for non color-breaking creases?

If the removal of these creases is not restoration....why are they considered defects in the first place?

If pressing isn't restoration.... why does CGC downgrade a book for non color-breaking creases?

If the removal of these creases is not restoration....why are they considered defects in the first place?

Semantics vs. Reality! The CGC Forums Death match! Only available on Pay Per View!

Semantics vs. Reality! The CGC Forums Death match! Only available on Pay Per View!

I want 50% of the profits grin.gif

I want the other 50%.... and an answer to my inquiry. sumo.gif

Only if it's a "Hair Match", and you put up that ponytail.

gossip.gif

PR,

I dont know much abot the process, but if you only pressed part of the book without the pressing board(or whatever) covering the entire cover, wouldnt the edge of that pressing board etc leave a dent or impression?

Not nif it is done properly. And pressing could conceviably mean just using your fingers to roll back a curl (that is what I had been told in a long pressing thread a while back). But I DO see two very distinct differences, and a simple curl straightening etc. done without heta or a real press should have a different term than "pressing". There are also portable, hand-held heat tools with a very highy polished elliptical end that is used for application of heat-set japan paper. These too can be used for spot-pressing.

hmm...."spot-pressing" - I like that!

I want the other 50%.... and an answer to my inquiry. sumo.gif

3_4_23.gif