• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman II - Donner Cut DVD possible

20 posts in this topic

Hope this works out.

http://www.supermanhomepage.com/

"A Warner Home Video spokesman made the following statement via an email regarding the possible DVD release of an extended version/Richard Donner cut of "Superman II"...

Warner Home Video is supportive of an extended version of Superman II on DVD. However, there are complex legal and creative issues that need to be resolved before the film can be re-released. Warner Home Video is presently addressing these issues.

No doubt the legal issues mentioned have to do with problems the WB have encountered with the Salkinds who produced the film."

Blah! If I see anymore of these krappy "Director's Cuts", I'm gonna toss my DVD players out the window.

What started out as a neat little aside to a few movies, has turned into a money-hungry monster where in some cases (Star Wars, Last of the Mohicans, etc.) the theatrical version will NEVER be made available on DVD.

893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

Blah! If I see anymore of these krappy "Director's Cuts", I'm gonna toss my DVD players out the window.

What started out as a neat little aside to a few movies, has turned into a money-hungry monster where in some cases (Star Wars, Last of the Mohicans, etc.) the theatrical version will NEVER be made available on DVD.

893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

Actually, Donner filmed I and II together, completing about 70% of II. Richard Lester was hired to finish II because the Salkinds didn't like Donner. Gene Hackman did not want to work with Lester so a double was used as were a voice over. Brando had all the Laura scenes filmed, but Lester changed those as well. This is one director's cut that makes sense as I and II were supposed to fit together better than what we have now.

Bottom line at the top: But so many "director's cuts" seem to be simply the dvd with the "deleted scenes" one would ordinarily find in the "extras" section incorporated in the film. More viewing time often does not equate to better.

One director's cut I saw that really impressed me was Orson Welle's TOUCH OF EVIL which was re-edited in 1998 according to a VERY detailed letter from Welles. The studio did their thing initially and hacked and rearranged. Welles was upset enough to actually outline exactly what he intended - and in 1998 his wished were granted. The difference between the two films is considerable simply for the sake of plot and continuity.

Another legendary film, STRANGERS ON A TRAIN, in which the DVD offers both the British (longer) and American releases. The British is definitely preferable and can well be considered a "director's cut".

But so many "director's cuts" seem to be simply the dvd with the "deleted scenes" one would ordinarily find in the "extras" section incorporated in the film. More viewing time often does not equate to better.

::edited from here on::

Rats - also forgot yet another that could qualify as a "director's cut" which I prefer: THE BIG SLEEP - to quote Amazon because they said it as well as I could "Includes both the 114 minute 1946 theatrical-release version and the 116 minute 1944 pre-release version containing 18 minutes which were either reshot or deleted from the theatrical release". Now THE BIG SLEEP is confusing enough as it is but the longer version DOES ofer a bit more insight. Definitely an intriquing film.

But so many "director's cuts" seem to be simply the dvd with the "deleted scenes" one would ordinarily find in the "extras" section incorporated in the film. More viewing time often does not equate to better.

Agreed.....the only director's cut dvd I've seen that improved on the original was Aliens. All the rest had toss away filler included.

It was refreshing to read Ripley Scott say the original Alien movie was "perfect" and the only reason the additional scenes were added was to satisfy studio heads....

Jim

The Bladrunner d.c. changed one or two small things in the plot as well toward the ending. But yea, most d.c. are a buncha [!@#%^&^]

Including that one, as it defeats the entire purpose and theme of the movie (what makes us human?) to have ALL of the main characters be replicants. Plus, what model is Deckard to get beat up, out-thought, out-run, etc. by the replicants? Replicant Model A Ford?

He's pretty low on the physical and mental list for a human being, let alone a superior artificial being.

Ridley Scott is a great director, but not much of a thinker. 27_laughing.gif

Hehe, thats true JC. I think it was a no-thought add in he wanted to do as a last second jolt for the movie goers but then again, with the state of cinema for the last say 20 years, i feel lucky to even have those small moments of either confusion or reflection rather than having my usual first response of "This sucks, change the channel".-Cheers

The Bladrunner d.c. changed one or two small things in the plot as well toward the ending. But yea, most d.c. are a buncha [!@#%^&^]

Including that one, as it defeats the entire purpose and theme of the movie (what makes us human?) to have ALL of the main characters be replicants. Plus, what model is Deckard to get beat up, out-thought, out-run, etc. by the replicants? Replicant Model A Ford?

He's pretty low on the physical and mental list for a human being, let alone a superior artificial being.

Ridley Scott is a great director, but not much of a thinker. 27_laughing.gif

I still have the ld version of the "Blade Runner Criterion" which is by far the best one.It also has the voiceover of Deckard.All-time best movie....... cloud9.gif

Sounds good. I happen to like director cuts.

Here's some I like better than the theatrical version

Abyss, Aliens, Alien 3, Army of Darkness (4 versions 3 better than the theatrical) Blade Runner Euro cut (has 5 versions total), Dances with Wolves, Halloween 2, Lord of the Rings, Ransom, Scream, Superman, Superman 2, Terminator 2, Waterworld.

And thats just off the top of my head grin.gifacclaim.gif

I still have the ld version of the "Blade Runner Criterion" which is by far the best one.It also has the voiceover of Deckard.All-time best movie....... cloud9.gif

Yeah, the Criterion LD is a classic edition, and as someone far more versed in movies than myself once stated:

"People forget that the first time we saw the movie was with the voice-over, and now when we see the director's cut, our mind fills in the narrative blanks and mentally plays it over".

I've seen various documentaries on Blade Runner, and the preview audiences for the intial cut were extremely confused as to who Deckard was, what his role was, why the replicants were being hunted, etc.

The voice-over, intro text, post-production scenes, and other studio add-ins (some of which are STILL present in the (cough) "Director's Cut" 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif) really helped outline the intracies of the "Blade Runner World" and unless you erase your memory, it's tough to view the DC as the preview audiences did.

Sounds good. I happen to like director cuts.

Here's some I like better than the theatrical version

Abyss, Aliens, Alien 3, Army of Darkness (4 versions 3 better than the theatrical) Blade Runner Euro cut (has 5 versions total), Dances with Wolves, Halloween 2, Lord of the Rings, Ransom, Scream, Superman, Superman 2, Terminator 2, Waterworld.

And thats just off the top of my head grin.gifacclaim.gif

Why is Halloween 2 and Terminator 2 better?

Why is Halloween 2 and Terminator 2 better?

In Halloween their are various shots with Jamie Lee that was cut in the movie.

I thought those better fleshed out some things and filled in some blanks in the movie.

It also showed Jamie and the other guy in the Amulance at the ending

Terminator had scenes that explained the removal of his processing chip so he could learn, it had more comedy and much more interesting information with the T1000. It explained that the T-1000 was damaged after it fell into the molton pit. Also it explained how John Conner could tell who was who at the very end when the T-1000 mimiced his mother. If you look quickly you could see that his mothers feet were melting into the floor.

Yeah, the Criterion LD is a classic edition, and as someone far more versed in movies than myself once stated:

"People forget that the first time we saw the movie was with the voice-over, and now when we see the director's cut, our mind fills in the narrative blanks and mentally plays it over".

I've seen various documentaries on Blade Runner, and the preview audiences for the intial cut were extremely confused as to who Deckard was, what his role was, why the replicants were being hunted, etc.

The voice-over, intro text, post-production scenes, and other studio add-ins (some of which are STILL present in the (cough) "Director's Cut" 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif) really helped outline the intracies of the "Blade Runner World" and unless you erase your memory, it's tough to view the DC as the preview audiences did.

Agreed....I much prefer the theatrical version. The DC is highly overrated in my opinion.

Jim

i recommend that you should smoke 420, you really need to relax and enjoy life.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Why, because I think the Blade Runner DC is an over-rated piece of tripe?

because that is sup's liberal solution to everything? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif