• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Was the First Appearance of Spider-Man's Black Costume?
1 1

71 posts in this topic

On 12/21/2022 at 5:35 PM, ThothAmon said:

I remember the timeline the same. Book was  a big seller at Empire Comics on Mt. Hope in Rochester and I bought plenty. 

I can still remember seeing the black costume on the ASM252 and SW8 covers and thinking “this is gonna be worth something one day.  I better buy two copies”! 😂

On 12/21/2022 at 5:16 PM, icp004 said:

I can still remember seeing the black costume on the ASM252 and SW8 covers and thinking “this is gonna be worth something one day.  I better buy two copies”! 😂

Why would you think MSHSW8 was anything special upon seeing it? The black costume had been on dozens of covers before that. (shrug)

Probably because it was finally showing how he actually got the costume. I know I was ready to find out.. Of course, I was 13 at the time and incredibly, felt that Secret Wars was better than Crisis on Infinite Earths, which shames me still and indicates how insufficiently thoughtful of a person I was back then.

For what it's worth. Secret Wars #8 alone did end up being more valuable than the other 11 issues in the series combined by a wide margin.

On 7/2/2019 at 9:23 PM, Lurker89 said:

Yayyy rehash the argument let the boards burn with fury hatred and ignorance muhuhahahaha

but yeah the answer is 252 .... Imo not important only as a Spidey suit but also first symbiote and key to the birth of Venom

Venom who first appears in ASM 299 full page with a line but you know whatever I have both 299 and 300 NM so if we want 300 to be FA fine by me (*stirs pot)

On 12/21/2022 at 4:39 PM, AGGIEZ said:

More than just a full page. He's on 2 pages, 

amazing299_21.jpg?w=456&h=662

amazing-spiderman-299-22.jpg

Sir I stirred this pot 3+ years ago.

I don't think it's safe to consume.

But your necro skills are top notch, for this i appluad you. :foryou:

On 1/2/2023 at 8:38 PM, Lurker89 said:

Sir I stirred this pot 3+ years ago.

I don't think it's safe to consume.

But your necro skills are top notch, for this i appluad you. :foryou:

Ok, so all Venom discussion is off the table because you’ve already had it? Got it…shut the boards down! This guy has already covered it… 

On 1/4/2023 at 8:40 PM, AGGIEZ said:

Ok, so all Venom discussion is off the table because you’ve already had it? Got it…shut the boards down! This guy has already covered it… 

Where did I say that.... lol I thought it was funny a comment of mine from 3+ years ago got Necro'd and made a joke about it being past its expiration date 😘.

On 12/21/2022 at 4:39 PM, AGGIEZ said:
On 7/2/2019 at 9:23 PM, Lurker89 said:

but yeah the answer is 252 .... Imo not important only as a Spidey suit but also first symbiote and key to the birth of Venom

Venom who first appears in ASM 299 full page with a line but you know whatever I have both 299 and 300 NM so if we want 300 to be FA fine by me (*stirs pot)

More than just a full page. He's on 2 pages

Which changes nothing.

Plus, Venom is also obviously in ASM 298.

On 1/5/2023 at 5:07 PM, DocCRR said:

What about the 'books' that predate the comics ASM 252 ? Not much spec value .. but still of importance ?

No. Ads and industry/hobby publications don't matter.

:censored: insufficiently_thoughtful_persons may hype them and suckers may overpay for them, but they still don't matter.

On 1/6/2023 at 7:07 AM, davidpg said:

Having not read a new book since the 2010s, has it ever been explained/retconned how the symbiote popped out of that machine in SW8?

Long before the 2010s (or I would have no idea either), it was explained that it was a prison module that the Beyonder grabbed from one of the many worlds he used to create Battleworld.