• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Was the First Appearance of Spider-Man's Black Costume?
1 1

71 posts in this topic

The responses are certainly bringing back the memories. I had completely forgotten about Spectacular Spider-Man #90, which raises another question--on what basis is MTU #141 "tied" with ASM #252 as the first appearance of the black costume, but SSM #90 is not?

I even remember Marvel Age #12. It seems like it included a "prototype" of the black costume, but it was not an exact match of the final version. I don't know if it was in Marvel Age #12 or somewhere else, but I seem to recall that originally the spider on the black costume was going to be red, but it was determined that the red would not print a consistent color even in the same issue.

The responses are certainly bringing back the memories. I had completely forgotten about Spectacular Spider-Man #90, which raises another question--on what basis is MTU #141 "tied" with ASM #252 as the first appearance of the black costume, but SSM #90 is not?

If I am wrong Spider-man was on the cover in his regular suit on SS90 and the story is all about Black Cat searching for Peter Parker.

Spider-man is not in story to very end

Edited by Ares

Just looked at a SSM #90 CGC 9.0 on everyone's favorite auction site. Cover has Black Cat with a ripped up newspaper with Spidey in regular suit. and the case says 5/84 as the issue date. ASM #252 5/84, and MTU #141 5/84. As for which week they came out, I have no idea. Secret Wars #8 was 12/84, and Web Of SM #1 was 4/85.

If I am wrong Spider-man was on the cover in his regular suit on SS90 and the story is all about Black Cat searching for Peter Parker.

Spider-man is not in story to very end

I think Spider-Man "appears" back from Secret Wars in his black costume at the end of the story. The CGC label on the book indicates that it is the first appearance of the black costume in title.

In the Marvel Universe, Spidey gets the black suit in Secret Wars 8 and wears it for the rest of the war, which is an undefined period of time. He evidently has had it for awhile when he is returned to earth in issue 252 after the SW ends.

So SW8 is where he first wears it, even though he'd been shown wearing it for months by the time SW8 came out.

Just a thought, but as Spiderman 252 was an almost immediate sellout everywhere, the other two books were most likely the first chance the public got at the suit.

On Long Island, the newstand version came out three weeks after the direct copy and every shop owner I know cleaned out every place they could find that sold comics. Very few, if any, copies of 252 made it to newstands in my area.

Prior to the Marvel Age sneak peak, retailers had seen a version in a Marvel preview newsletter, and Carol Kalish already had business cards with a black suited Spidey.

Edited by shadroch

In the Marvel Universe, Spidey gets the black suit in Secret Wars 8 and wears it for the rest of the war, which is an undefined period of time. He evidently has had it for awhile when he is returned to earth in issue 252 after the SW ends.

So SW8 is where he first wears it, even though he'd been shown wearing it for months by the time SW8 came out.

Just a thought, but as Spiderman 252 was an almost immediate sellout everywhere, the other two books were most likely the first chance the public got at the suit.

On Long Island, the newstand version came out three weeks after the direct copy and every shop owner I know cleaned out every place they could find that sold comics. Very few, if any, copies of 252 made it to newstands in my area.

Prior to the Marvel Age sneak peak, retailers had seen a version in a Marvel preview newsletter, and Carol Kalish already had business cards with a black suited Spidey.

Very interesting. Here in Florida I never saw the black suit until Web Of SM #1 almost a year later. It was probably the first comic I had bought since about '78 or '79. Before that I had traded my runs of Conan and Ghost Rider for an ASM #1. The next day my teacher yoked it from my back pocket and ripped it up. Basically my collection was lost in one day. Interesting thing is that in '79, ASM #1 was younger than Web Of #1 is now, but even then it's value was clear. Of course we were kids then, and condition wasn't as important as the stories, but what I wouldn't do to have my ASM #1, Conan #1, and Ghost Rider #1 right now.

Not this krap again :ohnoez:

??

The whole which appearance came first krap lol

Exactly ^^

Who cares. He went black, then he went back. It was like "New Coke" all those years ago. Big deal made about it, but it didn't last. Everybody wants the classic. ( I have yet to try Spidey Zero, Diet Spidey or Spidey Lime)

The real importance of the whole she-bang is the creation of Venom. I believe we have rewarded that sufficiently relative to price and that there's little confusion when and where he's created. 2c

Not this krap again :ohnoez:

??

The whole which appearance came first krap lol

Exactly ^^

Who cares. He went black, then he went back. It was like "New Coke" all those years ago. Big deal made about it, but it didn't last. Everybody wants the classic. ( I have yet to try Spidey Zero, Diet Spidey or Spidey Lime)

The real importance of the whole she-bang is the creation of Venom. I believe we have rewarded that sufficiently relative to price and that there's little confusion when and where he's created. 2c

(thumbs u

Please let me know the minimum membership time one must have before being allowed to post here.

I have a feeling the cutoff was 2001 & anyone that came after is out of luck.

Just ignore them and carry on talking about what you want, they're both noobies. (thumbs u

Edited by gaz973

Why would some people read/post in a thread that they don't care about? Do they really have nothing better to do? Nothing to foster a spirit of community like dumping on the newer folks.

Gee, why is the market shrinking?

That being said, there is a search button that might provide some insight, but if one can't find something, feel free to post away and ignore the self styled moral majority types that want to dictate what you can and can't do.

Umm,are you dissing me for what I posted?

Well,too bad.

I've heard this krap about Hulk #180 & #181.

I mean,does it really matter which came first?

:signfunny: What she said! & "Lighten up Francis!"

Glad you taking care of my light work MG

Now in the Wolvie case it's obvious that the cameo is first. :baiting:

In this case of 252 I was just trying to point out how "cornfusing" it can be with all the titles released in the same month and continuity irregularities and that IMHO it doesn't really matter because it didn't stick with PP. If it had, then you might have something worth arguing over.

Edited by 50 CENT LONG BOX

Umm,are you dissing me for what I posted?

Well,too bad.

I've heard this krap about Hulk #180 & #181.

I mean,does it really matter which came first?

:signfunny: What she said! & "Lighten up Francis!"

Glad you taking care of my light work MG

Now in the Wolvie case it's obvious that the cameo is first. :baiting:

In this case of 252 I was just trying to point out how "cornfusing" it can be with all the titles released in the same month and continuity irregularities and that IMHO it doesn't really matter because it didn't stick with PP. If it had, then you might have something worth arguing over.

lol on the Wolverine.

But yes,it's really confusing for those that are not familiar with the book.

At the end of the day,we got an awesome character out it (Vemon)