• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Absorene?

9 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Is Absorene okay to use to clean a book? I have a few books that have dirty back covers and could use the help.

Specifically I found some here:

http://www.gaylord.com/adblock.asp?abid=11302

So if I were to use this, and somewhere down the line submit the book would it come back restored? I'm much more concerned with whether or not it will work - 10 bucks seems like a good deal.

Thanks in advance, and if this has been brought up please point me in the right direction.

Phill

I saw this

once

Cleaning is not restoration. I doubt they could even tell it was done. Nothing wrong with it. That is my view, however I have not used it and I'm sure someone else could share a more educated opinion.

Let's be careful - dry cleaning is not resto but wet cleaning will be detected as resto.
I'm confused, Are you saying that Absorene is considered wet cleaning?

I think he's referring to the video posted above. The girl uses a "slightly damp" paper towel to clean the cover. I did this to a REALLY nice 50s Walt Disney Comics & Stories when I was a kid and really screwed up the comic - left moisture spots all over the cover.

Hi all,

Is Absorene okay to use to clean a book? I have a few books that have dirty back covers and could use the help.

Specifically I found some here:

http://www.gaylord.com/adblock.asp?abid=11302

So if I were to use this, and somewhere down the line submit the book would it come back restored? I'm much more concerned with whether or not it will work - 10 bucks seems like a good deal.

Thanks in advance, and if this has been brought up please point me in the right direction.

Phill

Short answer:

Using Absorene will not cause the book to come back restored.

Long Answer:

You have to be careful using Absorene, in fact you have be careful using any dry cleaning technique. I had to practice quite a bit before I got my error rate down to zero and if you make a mistake it defeats the purpose of doing it in the first place. I recommend leaving it to the professionals.

The video makes it look easy because she isn't really trying to remove anything and going over it lightly. To make any real difference lightly won't do it, especially on the back cover and comic paper is much thinner than magazines.

Here is a few examples where lightly won’t cut it and you have to know what your doing (lots of practice) or you can remove gloss or cause other defects:

WTBA1.jpg

batba1.jpg

batba2.jpg

ASM60.jpg

Let's be careful - dry cleaning is not resto but wet cleaning will be detected as resto.
I'm confused, Are you saying that Absorene is considered wet cleaning?

I was referring to the term "cleaning" alone without a qualifier. That's why I defined both.