• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have you noticed more and more non-paying bidders on eBay?

36 posts in this topic

I've been selling off and on for several years, but as of late, I've had a considerable number of people not pay for their winning auctions.

People with 100% feedback and no negatives, as well.

Just a coincidence or has anyone else noticed a trend?

Nope. Are you selling high priced or low priced items? One thing I can tell you is generally the lower price of the item, the more problems you will encounter with payment; and possibly other such issues. People tend to get really cheap on the low end of any collectibles market. Just an obserrvation.

Respectfully,

'mint'

I've been selling off and on for several years, but as of late, I've had a considerable number of people not pay for their winning auctions.

I would guess the trend started when sellers lost the ability to leave negative feedback and to 'punish' buyers for not paying.

Yes. Yes I have. Low price, high price, low feedback, high feedback. It doesn't matter. There is minimal repurcussion for buyers not paying so the trendline has been steadily rising.

I would guess the trend started when sellers lost the ability to leave negative feedback and to 'punish' buyers for not paying.

Exactly. You can buy and never pay and what happens? Nothing.

Exactly. You can buy and never pay and what happens? Nothing.

Yep, there definitely has been an increase in the last 6 months. Not a huge impact overall, but disappointing as you have to go through all of the extra motions to get your fees back and relist.

Nope. Are you selling high priced or low priced items? One thing I can tell you is generally the lower price of the item, the more problems you will encounter with payment; and possibly other such issues. People tend to get really cheap on the low end of any collectibles market. Just an obserrvation.

Respectfully,

'mint'

Aren't you special . . . :baiting:lol

heh. I have to agree though as I've noticed this for years and years and years. I sell a $20 item and the guy gives me the runaround. I sell a $1k or more item and its a flawless transaction....

I usually don't even bother selling lower end items anymore. Its not worth the hassle and time to do so.

I notice this as well.in one month, 13 unpaid item cases for me. that was last month. its so bad for me that I do the block buyers that have a unpaid item case within the last year restriction and if I see a new high bidder, I contact them, if no response in 12 hours, I cancel bid and block their username.

heh. I have to agree though as I've noticed this for years and years and years. I sell a $20 item and the guy gives me the runaround. I sell a $1k or more item and its a flawless transaction....

I usually don't even bother selling lower end items anymore. Its not worth the hassle and time to do so.

And it also takes the same amount of work to sell the $20 item than it does the $1000 item. This is why I have been slowly getting away from some low priced items in certain markets. While I can't avoid this in all areas, it is no longer worth it it in most.

I agree fully.

Ironically, that is when I get emails from customer asking if I have 'anything cheaper.' I normally don't try to explain basic economics or opportunity costs to them.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

I noticed for a few years,so that`s why I made all my auctions buy it nows and they must pay immediately with paypal. My days of having auctions start at .99 cent bids and waiting for people to pay three weeks later for their winning auctions are long over. (thumbs u

I have two non paying bidders right now. Not bad by the number of things that sold last week but still. One was for something at $35 and the other was for something at $2...

I mean really...

When I win... I pay immediately... I get the alert on my phone and I pay within the hour. Which is what is killing me on two items that I purchased...

Arrgghh

Still waiting for almost three weeks for them to be sent...

Yeah I have had way more slow pay, non pay bidders over the last 18 months.

Seems though most of my bidders finally pay once I open the non-paying bidder case against them. Just have to light a fire up under their azz sometimes.

I have two non paying bidders right now. Not bad by the number of things that sold last week but still. One was for something at $35 and the other was for something at $2...

I mean really...

When I win... I pay immediately... I get the alert on my phone and I pay within the hour. Which is what is killing me on two items that I purchased...

Arrgghh

Still waiting for almost three weeks for them to be sent...

I never undstand why it takes people soo long to pay. I pay immediately because I would want the same. no matter what, I always open a case on the fourth day and close on the 8th. if you can't pay, don't buy it. simple.

...if I see a new high bidder, I contact them, if no response in 12 hours, I cancel bid and block their username.

Smart - I'm going to start doing this - especially with 0 feedback bidders.

FYI just got burned by the infamous non-payer/scammer Armand Sahakian using id "hvgs24"

I notice this as well.in one month, 13 unpaid item cases for me. that was last month. its so bad for me that I do the block buyers that have a unpaid item case within the last year restriction and if I see a new high bidder, I contact them, if no response in 12 hours, I cancel bid and block their username.

cool man, i didn't even know you could do that!! thanks for the tip!

I noticed for a few years,so that`s why I made all my auctions buy it nows and they must pay immediately with paypal. My days of having auctions start at .99 cent bids and waiting for people to pay three weeks later for their winning auctions are long over. (thumbs u

Where do you check the option for the immediate payment on a BIN listing? I have tried to implement that and can't ever find the option.

Where do you check the option for the immediate payment on a BIN listing? I have tried to implement that and can't ever find the option.

I thought about using it but I am already cutting my customer base by not allowing international sales. More and more people are bidding using mobile devices but not paying until they get home on the computer for a secure signal.

Just a thought.