• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I shook Steve Ditko's hand today

162 posts in this topic

Great story,highgrade.............It must have been great just speaking with him........so I guess it's safe to say he wouldn't be interested in selling any artwork he has, huh?......man,what a goldmine he must be sitting on.......I hope he really wasn't using old Dr.Strange artwork as a cutting board for his vegetables......... 893frustrated.gif

what a crab. People like what you did. It meant something to them..... STAY AWAY THEN 893censored-thumb.gif

I'm sure it was a great experience... but, just think of how much attention Steve is getting now that the movie is out... he obviously doesn't want the attention.

if no one else agrees with me, that's fine. boo.gif

While I appreciate your sharing of this very awesome moment with Ditko, I have to say that the front door pic and phone call was a tad too much.

He may not be the most personable person in the world, but that's his decision.

The naked Spidey pic 893naughty-thumb.gif

Boy, that is a tough call. Ditko is definitely the J.D. Salinger of the comic world. From my point of view, I think the guy should be lionized for his co-creation of one of the seminal characters in American pop culture. As much as I would be the first one in line to want to shake his hand and gush about how much his work has meant to me and many others, that has to be weighed against the man's right to privacy.

In this age of over-the-top self promotion, this age of wringing every last buck out of one's public persona, this age of endless shilling and "personality" based marketing, Ditko is definitely an anomaly. When it comes down to it, he may actually be more balanced than a Stan Lee who will be the happy huckster until the day he dies. And that's not to take anything away from Lee.

These guys have been part of my life for almost 40 years. I know Stan Lee's work, Jack Kirby's work, Ditko's work better than I know Balzac, Carravaggio and Daumier. But in the end, these guys owe me nothing. I owe them. In Ditko's case, I guess I would owe him the space and privacy he seems to want.

That said, I think highgrade was just following his heart, and did nothing wrong. A little aggressive maybe, but nothing criminal. And the fact that Ditko was willing to chat with him for a while says to me that HG wasn't being obnoxious.

As I said, it's a tough call. But it would be hard for me to pass up a chance to shake hands with one of my idols.

Maybe he would have talked more if you told him you were a big Mr. A fan, but I guess that's "in the past" as well.

If you ever meet a famous person, treat them like anyone else, and the minute you go into fanboy mode and gush over them, you're toast.

For example, I bet Ditko would have been far nicer if you'd started off with a question about his current work, general things like the upcoming election, or even if he liked any recent movies.

He's a regular guy, but one that is understandably tired of talking about the same thing, over and over and over.

You know JC, it really depends on the person. When I was lucky enough to meet Joe Sinnott, he was very eager to talk about the work he'd done for Marvel. Of course in Ditko's case, he's apparently soured on aspects of what he went through.

But to be standing next to Ditko and asking him what he thinks about Iraq doesn't seem right either. I dunno'. Would one have to read through the complete works of Ayn Rand just to walk up to Ditko and BS him? I'm not trying to be a wise guy, just asking. It's a dilemma.

You know JC, it really depends on the person. When I was lucky enough to meet Joe Sinnott, he was very eager to talk about the work he'd done for Marvel. Of course in Ditko's case, he's apparently soured on aspects of what he went through.

It all depends on WHERE you meet them too. I remember you talked about seeing Sinnott at an exhibition (or similar right) and we're talking about hitting up a guy at his front door.

And no, I never once recommended politics (where did you get Iraq from), I simply meant no "Oh my God, you're the greatest artist, I love Spidey, you had such a huge impact on my life..." stuff.

That scares people, seriously.

Just talk, and treat them like another human being, not an icon. That's all.

Oh yeah, and let them lead. thumbsup2.gif

If you ever meet a famous person, treat them like anyone else,

Very true. The thing is, they really ARE like anyone else. I'm quite good with computers. Started as a hobby in 1979. Am a computer professional for a living. But I have a LOT of interests beyond computers. There have been times I have been in social situations and someone who knows or has learned I am a network guy comes up and starts talking to me about computers, networks etc. I quickly get sick of the conversation and try to shift things to movies, food, music, books, comics, anything!

He thanked me politely, at which time I told him that he was a legend for creating Spider-man. He said "I co-created Spider-man, and that's in the past now." He then when on to say that I should forget about the past and support todays creators. I told him that his contribution to Spider-man even though in the "Past" was very important. He said "so what, that was a long time ago." "What was it... forty or fifty years ago." "You can't live in the past." "Look at Stan Lee he's not even into comics anymore." He's somewhere in Hollywood." He also said "Besides, today's Spider-man is nothing like the version I co-created.

straight from the jd salinger of the comic book world...this one statement validates modern collecting like no other 893applaud-thumb.gif and all you golden age and silver age fans are just living in the past 27_laughing.gif move on, and support today's creators you fools...thus spake Ditko! sumo.gif

While I appreciate your sharing of this very awesome moment with Ditko, I have to say that the front door pic and phone call was a tad too much.

He may not be the most personable person in the world, but that's his decision.

The naked Spidey pic 893naughty-thumb.gif

I hear where you are coming from. wink.gif That's why I didn't photograph his building or give out his address. The only reason I called him up, was because, I wanted to know if he did sketches on commission. I kind of felt that he wouldn't, but I had to give it a shot. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif When he told me "no" I told him that I respected his wishes.

Overall, I was quite surprise that he actually gave me the time of day. smile.gif

Maybe he would have talked more if you told him you were a big Mr. A fan, but I guess that's "in the past" as well.

If you ever meet a famous person, treat them like anyone else, and the minute you go into fanboy mode and gush over them, you're toast.

For example, I bet Ditko would have been far nicer if you'd started off with a question about his current work, general things like the upcoming election, or even if he liked any recent movies.

He's a regular guy, but one that is understandably tired of talking about the same thing, over and over and over.

JC, it's always easy being a Monday morning quraterback.

Ditko is definitely the J.D. Salinger of the comic world.

foreheadslap.gif what happens when I post hours afterwards :P as for JD, I can bet that nothing he is sitting (that may be released posthumously) is going to be as brilliant as the expectations all folks have hyped it to nor as wonderful as his works that are already public wink.gif

Well, JC, you mentioned talking about the upcoming elections, which like it or not, are all going to be about Iraq among other things. I just picked one issue out of the hat.

But yes, the context is important. And yes, there's a big difference between the situations I mentioned. But also, to what POV said, if you only have a few minutes to talk to someone, isn't it natural to talk about something you can relate to the other person about.

If I met any of you guys for the first time in person, right off the bat, I bet the first ten minutes of conversation would be about, the Boards, or slow turnaround times, or the coming crash or Currin's wife....er, maybe not about the wife, but maybe....uh....NAKED SPIDERMAN!

But you know what I mean. It's the opener. Now if thirty minutes later, I haven't gotten around to asking about anything else other than the boards, it might seem pretty vapid.

JC, it's always easy being a Monday morning quraterback.

Hey, I'm not just talking out of my [!@#%^&^] here.

I used to hang with NHL'ers and the last thing any of them wanted was some drooling fanboy telling them how great they are. No autographs, no drooling, no long, drawn-out gushing.

The best times were just spent sitting around with some guys, talking about loose women. 893applaud-thumb.gif

boy talk about an uncomfortable position to be in: standing in an office hallway trying to keep up a conversation with someone who really doesnt wantto, and then trying to talk about a subject they absolutely have no interest in anymore. Good work managing to spend THAT much time with him.

Its a shame he has never been interested in claiming his due share in the creation of one of the most well-known and now most successful comic book superheroes. But, the real shame is what a corrosively abusive industry comics have been that has forced 99% of its greatest creators to be so bitter about their career accomplishments. Even the old timers who cheerfully attend conventions and greet their fans have another sad, angry side behind the smiles, dont they? These are not entirely happy memories for more than a few guys.