• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is a fair markup for a pedigree???

59 posts in this topic

There is no rule of thumb.

It depends on the Pedigree, the issue, the cover, the condition.

^^

Forgot to say page quality and over all appearance.

if its a SA or BA Pedigree, it pretty much comes down to how much silver surfer or i want it and what it will take to outbid us :whistle:

lol

Seriously though, personally, i have the pedigrees tiered in my mind as to desirability and how much premium i feel comfortable paying. Usually its anywhere from no premium to maybe 50%. There is a couple Peds that i will throw all rules out the window for and pay whatever it takes to get it :facepalm:

btw, a LOT of Ped issues even great Pedigrees will go for no premium at all. I cant even remember all the Peds i've bought that went WELL under gpa even Curators, TwinCities, green Rivers, White Mountains, etc. Good Peds for REAL cheap :banana:

0% in my opinion. I won't pay for a story about who owned or found my comic :)

(which is why I own none)

yep, thats EXACTLY what you are paying for! :eyeroll:

I may be going out on a limb here but I'm pretty sure there are non pedigree books of equal or even better quality than some of their pedigreed counterparts. So if we're comparing books of roughly equal quality, yeah....pretty much you're paying for an anecdote about somebody else having owned your book. That's not to say I don't love peds b/c I do.

I may be going out on a limb here but I'm pretty sure there are non pedigree books of equal or even better quality than some of the pedigreed counterparts. So if we're comparing books of roughly equal quality, yeah....pretty much you're paying for an anecdote about somebody else having owned your book. That's not to say I don't love peds b/c I do.

yeah, there are. there are also PLENTY of peds that BLOW 99.9% of their "regular" counterparts out of the water. For all the Suscha news gets(which i understand btw), it's BA issues BLOW 99.9% of its counterparts out of the water. Curators?? Forget about it, try finding SA Marvels nicer than a Curator copy, it'll take you going thru nearly EVERY copy in the census.

Now Savannahs??? yeah, unless you left your books in the toaster for a few hours, you'll probably find a nicer copy out there just throwing a dart at some slabs :baiting:

Cue the Savannah lovers......... lol

For all the Suscha news gets(which i understand btw), it's BA issues BLOW 99.9% of its counterparts out of the water.

I don't believe this for rank and file issues. Maybe occasionally for tough to find issues and maybe for rank and file books from 70-74, but not across the board. I have handled too many pristine copies of Bronze Age books to believe it. No way is the Suscha News Tarzan 2, Avengers 177, Captain America 204 etc. etc. any nicer than dozens of copies already slabbed or sitting out there waiting to be.

I may be going out on a limb here but I'm pretty sure there are non pedigree books of equal or even better quality than some of their pedigreed counterparts. So if we're comparing books of roughly equal quality, yeah....pretty much you're paying for an anecdote about somebody else having owned your book. That's not to say I don't love peds b/c I do.

Thats also assuming you are paying EXTRA for a Pedigree which lots of times you aren't. I just bought a ASM100 Pedigree that SHATTERED the all time gpa low for any issue in that grade. Pedigree dont always carry a premium especially with all the new ones that have hit the market lately. Even the older, very respected peds go cheap plenty of times. it's all right place at the right time instead of "i HAVE to buy every Ped in this auction" imo.