• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

getting price gouged, i feel like i need a shower...

320 posts in this topic

So I've been working on a 9.8 wolverine set. #1-4 Limited Series (1982), #1-10 vol 2 (1988), #1 vol 3 (2003), and #1 vol 4 (2010).

I was until recently missing 2 books, the #9 of vol 2 and the #2 of the limited series. I found a #9 on ebay and WAY overpaid for it, 57$. The seller had an 88$ or best offer on it and countered my 40$ best offer. Even at 40$ I thought I was overpaying.

Census shows only 98 in 9.8 and not knowing when I might see another come up to fill in my set I pulled the trigger.

I'm sure lots of us have been in this spot, oh well I guess I'm just venting. I really wanted the book and it wasn't a lot of money, but I still don't like getting gouged.

Seems like you should have waited. A dozen sales in the last year have all been $36 and under... what was the hurry?

Most people "need" their "fix" satiated ASAP in order to feel "good." Just like a junkie! :D

Anyway, so the OP overpaid a bit. In a few years, it won't matter since the value should catch up? ^^

i guess i was looking for a little, "hey man we've been there" or whatever but i was silly to expect that from an anonymous internet forum, and instead yes i should have known guys will just try to make a person feel worse.

Lets see, what's the hurry. I guess I like instant gratification like the majority of the human race. and while I don't like paying more than I have to on things, $20 more isn't going to have me living on the street.

Whatever I was just venting and I clearly came to the wrong place for that. Being that I don't have any people that collect or care about comics I thought perhaps I could do that here. I'll refrain from that in the future.

i guess i was looking for a little, "hey man we've been there" or whatever but i was silly to expect that from an anonymous internet forum, and instead yes i should have known guys will just try to make a person feel worse.

Lets see, what's the hurry. I guess I like instant gratification like the majority of the human race. and while I don't like paying more than I have to on things, $20 more isn't going to have me living on the street.

Whatever I was just venting and I clearly came to the wrong place for that. Being that I don't have any people that collect or care about comics I thought perhaps I could do that here. I'll refrain from that in the future.

Don't be so thin skinned, fella! doh!

We've all "been there, down that" with what you experienced with a perceived $20 "overpay!" (shrug)

As I mentioned before, the $20 overpay will be muted in several years or less when the value catches up.

Yes, it's an anonymous internet forum, but everyone here cares about comic book collecting!

Everyhing's good! :headbang:

Dude, I overpay for PC stuff alllllll theeee timeeee.

If I plan on keeping it, whats a few extra bucks? It's like buying a home. If you're flipping it, you want it as dirt cheap as possible. If you plan to live in it for the next 10 to 15 years, what's a few extra K at the end of the day?

Don't beat yourself up over it, we're junkies, we need our fix, an exra $10-15 bucks for something you're going to keep isn't the end of the world.

Seems like you should have waited. A dozen sales in the last year have all been $36 and under... what was the hurry?

Most people "need" their "fix" satiated ASAP in order to feel "good." Just like a junkie! :D

Anyway, so the OP overpaid a bit. In a few years, it won't matter since the value should catch up? ^^

lol

Dont feel bad about it. People tend to pay a little more at the end just to finish a set. Problem starts when you finally finish your set and then starting thinking about what you are going to focus on next. It's a never ending cycle.... :pullhair:

I overpay all the time at $3.99 for a modern DC or Marvel comic book, and feel ripped off when I see them in dealers boxes for $1.00 or less a few months later. So yeah I can relate.

;)

Nobody is trying to make you feel worse. Just because you're not getting instantly gratified for your post doesn't mean anyone is giving you a hard time.

Some of us are trying to show you that maybe you didn't have to pay that much but are not spelling it out in one post. The seller didn't do anything wrong since you knew what they went for and agreed to pay his price.

We've all been there and overpaid for something we wanted. Some of us by thousand$.

Congrats on one more step to filling the run.

(thumbs u

I overpay all the time at $3.99 for a modern DC or Marvel comic book, and feel ripped off when I see them in dealers boxes for $1.00 or less a few months later. So yeah I can relate.

;)

haha, that's funny I hadn't even thought about that, it's truth. :applause:

Oh, you're going to get along just fine here.

meh

Oh, and the next time you start a thread, can you please also indicate how you need us to respond?

It'll help smooth the waters. (thumbs u

future reference, this is not the prefered way. thanks

Exactly. The proper response would have been

"Andy, you don't look fat in those jeans."

I have to admit you did sorta screw yourself by not checking past sales.

A couple of hours doing research is,im sure everyone will agree,time well spent.

Since i was shown the completed listings check box on ebay,i can make a better assessment of pricing items,be it comics,magazines or records.

When you get frucked over by someone like Ebay's infamous scam artist bijoubaby,then you can start a real ranting thread.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5832397#Post5832397

Or i guess we could ask what are your goals and objectives in terms of long time investing in comic-collecting ?