• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Re-slabbing of books

126 posts in this topic

Then why are they grading them slowly?

I mean, we know they CAN do it quicker. because they used to. So the question to ask is...why?

I mean, in a capitalist system, companies hire workers when demand for their product outstrips their ability to produce said product. Hence, the newly hired employees help them keep up with demand...and they can make greater profits.

For some reason, CGC is choosing to not keep up with the demand. This statement cannot be refuted. Now, I do not know enough about the inner workings of CGC to know the reason.

But, I do know that they are creating even higher demand for their products (because there are less of them) and, in creating this higher demand, they are having a serious effect on the market.

It's econ. 101 people. Law of supply vs. demand.

A conspiracy theory explains an event as being the result of an alleged plot by a covert group or organization or, more broadly, the idea that important political, social or economic events are the products of secret plots that are largely unknown to the general public.

Seriously tho, didn't I read in another thread that CGC is hiring, promoting and training additional graders and working Saturdays? My walk-thru was graded/shipped the day recieved and in the spring my CGC 15 day certificate was graded in exactly 15 business days.

Edit to add some relevance to the OP.

My CGC 9.2 COW graded in January was graded exactly the same.

I mean, we know they CAN do it quicker. because they used to. So the question to ask is...why?

I mean, in a capitalist system, companies hire workers when demand for their product outstrips their ability to produce said product. Hence, the newly hired employees help them keep up with demand...and they can make greater profits.

For some reason, CGC is choosing to not keep up with the demand. This statement cannot be refuted. Now, I do not know enough about the inner workings of CGC to know the reason.

But, I do know that they are creating even higher demand for their products (because there are less of them) and, in creating this higher demand, they are having a serious effect on the market.

A conspiracy theory explains an event as being the result of an alleged plot by a covert group or organization or, more broadly, the idea that important political, social or economic events are the products of secret plots that are largely unknown to the general public.

lol. And avoiding a very valid question that was arrived at using hard, irrefutable facts by labeling someone a nutjob is a time honored defense mechanism of someone who has something to hide.

lol. And avoiding a very valid question that was arrived at using hard, irrefutable facts by labeling someone a nutjob is a time honored defense mechanism of someone who has something to hide.

:roflmao: Brother you're just looking for things that aren't there.There is no conspiracy here.

:roflmao: Brother you're just looking for things that aren't there.There is no conspiracy here.

hm ...or maybe there IS!!! CGC wants to enrage their paying customers to drive up the price of slabbed Catman comics on HA eight years ago!!! Just the idea of this conspiracy makes one rich - in knowledge!!! After drinking heavily the connection becomes crystal clear!!!

hm ...or maybe there IS!!! CGC wants to enrage their paying customers to drive up the price of slabbed Catman comics on HA eight years ago!!! Just the idea of this conspiracy makes one rich - in knowledge!!! After drinking heavily the connection becomes crystal clear!!!

:roflmao:

ummmm...when, in any of my posts did I say anything about any conspiracy?

It was another boardy who went off on that tangent.

My argument was simply that you are being naive...and quite frankly less informed than a freshman in an econ. course, if you really believe that CGC has no impact on the market for CGC slabbed books.

it would seem some around here have thin skin....or have something to hide. One or the other.

eh. whatever. take a correspondence course or something. It'll do ya some good.

ummmm...when, in any of my posts did I say anything about any conspiracy?

It was another boardy who went off on that tangent.

My argument was simply that you are being naive...and quite frankly less informed than a freshman in an econ. course, if you really believe that CGC has no impact on the market for CGC slabbed books.

it would seem some around here have thin skin....or have something to hide. One or the other.

eh. whatever. take a correspondence course or something. It'll do ya some good.

I'm glad you are so well informed,thank you for enlightening me as to the impact CGC has on the comic book marketplace.I am but a noob that has been collecting for only 40 years,so your wisdom is such a delight.

heh.

Finally. and this whole debate started with boardies steadfastly arguing that CGC has no impact on the marketplace whatsoever, at all, even a little.

Now, finally someone agrees with the obvious.

that's all i wanted.

Thank you, and good night.

I had a typo before; the book actually jumped from 9.0 to 9.4, essentially tripling in value with a re-slabbing.

I actually passed on bidding on the book back in '02 because of the page quality designation. I guess I would have hoped the folks at CGC were using some kind of color chart or gauge for the whiteness level, as opposed to simply eyeballing it.

Dude, you remember what you bid on in 2002? Ten years ago? I can't even remember bids that I placed last week.

Wow! :facepalm:

CGC isn't grading books slowly to keep less books in the marketplace.How can CGC dictate the market for slabbed books,buyers and sellers do.What you're really paying for in a slabbed book is the restoration detection,and when it comes to books that I buy I will happily pay that premium.

I might be looking at this too simply but maybe they're slower because more people are grading books and they can't keep up (shrug) Simple

(1) Crack, press and resub.

(2) CGC has changed (and most would say eased up) its PQ standards.

page quality is all over the place. i sent in (within a month of each other) two identical mags from the same source. i have no doubt that these mags were together since printing and looked identical to me. one got "white", one "cream/off-white".

it's basically a coin toss.

Knowing that the CGC standards on page quality have been relaxed tells me I need to stick to off-white-to-white or white from now on. Up until now I've been accepting books with off-white pages, too. Of course, if the ratings are as random as porky sugggests, I may be out of luck.

As for pressing, as far as I'm concerned that's just as unethical as dealers back in the 80s not disclosing restoration (which happened constantly). I personally don't want any pressed books, but I don't know how to detect pressing. Of course, avoiding books that I know have been re-slabbed should help.

Knowing that the CGC standards on page quality have been relaxed tells me I need to stick to off-white-to-white or white from now on. Up until now I've been accepting books with off-white pages, too. Of course, if the ratings are as random as porky sugggests, I may be out of luck.

As for pressing, as far as I'm concerned that's just as unethical as dealers back in the 80s not disclosing restoration (which happened constantly). I personally don't want any pressed books, but I don't know how to detect pressing. Of course, avoiding books that I know have been re-slabbed should help.

i think you'll be as successful at avoiding pressing as you'll be trying to avoid books that someone read while sitting on the toilet. there's no way to know. choose your battles- that's not one you'll win.

CGC themselves have no impact directly on slabbed books. It is us the consumer who willing to dish out the extra money for a definitive grade on the comic. In fact on most comics unless it is a 9.8 or above it doesn't effect the value at all from my experience. In fact sometimes a slabbed comic is worth less then an unslabbed one at the same grade. The only thing the CGC has done indirectly is given the comic book industry a tougher standard for grading and given the consumer and seller a safer way to buy comics because you can't argue with the grade. As far as a 9.0 going to a 9.4 it happens from slabbed comics I have received at that grade of 9.0 to 9.4 from my eye alot of the times I can't tell the difference.

I hope you don't collect early Detectives. I just found another re-slabbed book. It went from 7.0 with OW/W pages to 8.0 with white pages. (I almost bid on it!)

In 2010:

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7017&lotNo=91124

Now:

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fsearch%2Easp%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3DDetective%2BCOmics%26ItemType%3DCB%26x%3D13%26y%3D11%23Item%5F940813&id=940813