• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Re-slabbing of books

126 posts in this topic

My argument was simply that you are being naive...and quite frankly less informed than a freshman in an econ. course, if you really believe that CGC has no impact on the market for CGC slabbed books.

CGC themselves have no impact directly on slabbed books. It is us the consumer who willing to dish out the extra money for a definitive grade on the comic. In fact on most comics unless it is a 9.8 or above it doesn't effect the value at all from my experience. In fact sometimes a slabbed comic is worth less then an unslabbed one at the same grade. The only thing the CGC has done indirectly is given the comic book industry a tougher standard for grading and given the consumer and seller a safer way to buy comics because you can't argue with the grade. As far as a 9.0 going to a 9.4 it happens from slabbed comics I have received at that grade of 9.0 to 9.4 from my eye alot of the times I can't tell the difference.

You're either high on crack, or you have something to gain by denying it, if you slavishly believe that CGC has no impact on the comic collecting industry...directly.

Even CGC would admit this.

My argument was simply that you are being naive...and quite frankly less informed than a freshman in an econ. course, if you really believe that CGC has no impact on the market for CGC slabbed books.

CGC themselves have no impact directly on slabbed books. It is us the consumer who willing to dish out the extra money for a definitive grade on the comic. In fact on most comics unless it is a 9.8 or above it doesn't effect the value at all from my experience. In fact sometimes a slabbed comic is worth less then an unslabbed one at the same grade. The only thing the CGC has done indirectly is given the comic book industry a tougher standard for grading and given the consumer and seller a safer way to buy comics because you can't argue with the grade. As far as a 9.0 going to a 9.4 it happens from slabbed comics I have received at that grade of 9.0 to 9.4 from my eye alot of the times I can't tell the difference.

You're either high on crack, or you have something to gain by denying it, if you slavishly believe that CGC has no impact on the comic collecting industry...directly.

You truly are an Idiot. :facepalm: All CGC does is grade books,the market decides what the books are worth.

You truly are an Idiot. :facepalm: All CGC does is grade books,the market decides what the books are worth.

Please tell us how you feel. Don't hold back.

Please tell us how you feel. Don't hold back.

I have been dealing with nothing but dumbassery today,guess I'm just not as tolerant today. :pullhair:

Are you kidding me?

Am I the only one who thinks this is an absolutely ridiculous statement?

Yes.

Most of your statements are ridiculous. Try writing without the hyperbola and hysteria and a little more respectfully.

You're not the only person that knows a thing or two around here.

:eyeroll:

For some reason, CGC is choosing to not keep up with the demand. This statement cannot be refuted.

CGC has hired several new graders in the last few months and are currently working overtime on weekdays and weekends in an attempt to stay caught up.

Consider your statement refuted.

Are you saying their accuracy has that much credibility?

No, the market says that.

All CGC does is grade the book. They don't sell them.

But.

They do charge fees that, in many cases, are significantly higher than the value of the comic itself.

Don't you think that, in itself, is a large driver of said market?

What drives the market? Which market are you talking about?

Confidence drives any market. It drives all monetary markets, commodity markets, investment markets.

People's confidence in CGC causes them to continue buying CGC graded books.

Of course CGC is a large driver of the CGC market...because they are the only viable grading company in the market.

:facepalm:

Wow! :facepalm:

CGC isn't grading books slowly to keep less books in the marketplace.How can CGC dictate the market for slabbed books,buyers and sellers do.What you're really paying for in a slabbed book is the restoration detection,and when it comes to books that I buy I will happily pay that premium.

Then why are they grading them slowly?

I mean, we know they CAN do it quicker. because they used to. So the question to ask is...why?

I mean, in a capitalist system, companies hire workers when demand for their product outstrips their ability to produce said product. Hence, the newly hired employees help them keep up with demand...and they can make greater profits.

For some reason, CGC is choosing to not keep up with the demand. This statement cannot be refuted. Now, I do not know enough about the inner workings of CGC to know the reason.

But, I do know that they are creating even higher demand for their products (because there are less of them) and, in creating this higher demand, they are having a serious effect on the market.

It's econ. 101 people. Law of supply vs. demand.

For CGC's business model to work they need to:

:keep costs as low as possible while making a profit

:protect their reputation by grading consistently

:meet their grading deadlines

CGC isn't hiring welders or accountants. They're looking for employees with a very specific and rare skill set. There are very few people with the grading and restoration experience needed and even fewer willing to relocate to Florida for what I would imagine is a modest pay at best.

They're falling behind because they can't find qualified graders and they value their reputation for grading consistency more than grading on time. Hell, we've seen many recent threads about inconsistent grading already.

By missing grading deadlines CGC is driving customers who're unwilling to wait to competitors and discouraging current customers.

Grading slowly won't generate more income for CGC, their rates are already set and greater demand won't equal increased profits. CGC's business is based on grading as many books as possible for as low cost as possible.

You, sir, are a deluded narrow minded insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

And, quite frankly, maybe the only comic collector left that refuses to admit that CGC has an impact on the comic buying market.

And, quite frankly, maybe the only comic collector left that refuses to admit that CGC has an impact on the comic buying market.

They have an impact to create buyer confidence,but they don't dictate the value or prices of books as you have stated.

Are you saying their accuracy has that much credibility?

No, the market says that.

All CGC does is grade the book. They don't sell them.

But.

They do charge fees that, in many cases, are significantly higher than the value of the comic itself.

Don't you think that, in itself, is a large driver of said market?

What drives the market? Which market are you talking about?

Confidence drives any market. It drives all monetary markets, commodity markets, investment markets.

People's confidence in CGC causes them to continue buying CGC graded books.

Of course CGC is a large driver of the CGC market...because they are the only viable grading company in the market.

:facepalm:

You realize, of course, that you JUST restated everything I have said, in different words. Than did the facepalm thing at the end.

I don't get it.

They have an impact to create buyer confidence,but they don't dictate the value or prices of books as you have stated.

Of course they have an impact on the friggin' value and price of a book. Geez, you are thick.

If CGC lowered their fees and hired more graders, thus lowering turnaround time--there would be more of their product (Slabbed books) on the market---and (again, without sounding too exasperated), the immutable law of supply vs. demand says....all together now......THE PRICES OF SLABBED BOOKS WOULD GO DOWN.

Hence, the way CGC does business has a direct impact on the market.

I will repeat, for those that want to make my comments more than they are, I am not alleging conspiracy. I am not alleging anything.

Just...stating the fact that the way they do business affects the market, and if their grades are as shaky as the OP and the first few replies to the OP say, then maybe I should think twice before spending so much money on their products.

phew. there.

Of course they have an impact on the friggin' value and price of a book. Geez, you are thick.

If CGC lowered their fees and hired more graders, thus lowering turnaround time--there would be more of their product (Slabbed books) on the market---and (again, without sounding too exasperated), the immutable law of supply vs. demand says....all together now......THE PRICES OF SLABBED BOOKS WOULD GO DOWN.

Hence, the way CGC does business has a direct impact on the market.

I will repeat, for those that want to make my comments more than they are, I am not alleging conspiracy. I am not alleging anything.

Just...stating the fact that the way they do business affects the market, and if their grades are as shaky as the OP and the first few replies to the OP say, then maybe I should think twice before spending so much money on their products.

phew. there.

You're a card. Please tell me you'll stick around. :roflmao: