• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

We hope that zombies live forever and we’ve just begun to find out what the post-apocalyptic world is like,”[/b] said AMC Networks CEO Josh Sapan (via The Hollywood Reporter), “so that we’ll be sitting here at the Barclays conference in 2022 discussing the fact that Walking Dead is not over." :headbang:

I think wrote in this thread ages ago that the popularity of horror and zombie films ebbs and flows with the overall socioeconomic environment. Bad economy + dark mood = greater popularity of horror films. Just look at all the Universal horror properties that were big hits during the 1930s and 1940s. Good economy + sunny mood = greater popularity of Disney animated films and the like. There's a reason why Night of the Living Dead came out amid the tumult of the late '60s, and there's a reason why The Walking Dead TV show has resonated so much in the tough economy of the post-financial crisis world.

If The Walking Dead is still popular in 2022, it probably means we will have been in a decade-plus long economic malaise and have bigger problems to worry about than whether TWD #1 black or white edition is worth more money. I hope for all our sakes that TWD is cancelled by 2022. :wishluck:

Maybe not zombies specifically, but horror movies have been consistently popular since at least the 50s. And of course in the 10s-30s as well. I don't really know about the 40s for some reason, but I'd be surprised if they randomly fell off the map for a decade.

AMC CEO Says No End to The Walking Dead in Sight !!

When series creator Robert Kirkman brought the series to life in comic book form, he invisioned it as the "never ending zombie story," which seems to be the mantra being brought to the television series.

“We hope that zombies live forever and we’ve just begun to find out what the post-apocalyptic world is like,” said AMC Networks CEO Josh Sapan (via The Hollywood Reporter), “so that we’ll be sitting here at the Barclays conference in 2022 discussing the fact that Walking Dead is not over."

:headbang:

You are right on with this statement and the Walking Dead will Live forever...I thought the bubble was slowing, but lord and behold after today, it's just growing, as hopefully soon I too will have my 9.9. Proof should be coming tonight that we all still love the Dead...

Maybe not zombies specifically, but horror movies have been consistently popular since at least the 50s.

Popularity is relative. You could say that Disney films have been popular since the 1930s as well, but the fact is that there are periods when they have been more popular and less popular. Same with horror films. I have read scholarly research about this very topic - one paper was done for horror films and another one was done for Disney films. They are papers that discuss the popularity of Picasso and the Beatles in different conditions as well. Fascinating stuff. I think there was even a study done on the zombie craze recently.

We hope that zombies live forever and we’ve just begun to find out what the post-apocalyptic world is like,”[/b] said AMC Networks CEO Josh Sapan (via The Hollywood Reporter), “so that we’ll be sitting here at the Barclays conference in 2022 discussing the fact that Walking Dead is not over." :headbang:

I think wrote in this thread ages ago that the popularity of horror and zombie films ebbs and flows with the overall socioeconomic environment. Bad economy + dark mood = greater popularity of horror films. Just look at all the Universal horror properties that were big hits during the 1930s and 1940s. Good economy + sunny mood = greater popularity of Disney animated films and the like. There's a reason why Night of the Living Dead came out amid the tumult of the late '60s, and there's a reason why The Walking Dead TV show has resonated so much in the tough economy of the post-financial crisis world.

If The Walking Dead is still popular in 2022, it probably means we will have been in a decade-plus long economic malaise and have bigger problems to worry about than whether TWD #1 black or white edition is worth more money. I hope for all our sakes that TWD is cancelled by 2022. :wishluck:

hm

Then I hope we have a depression that makes 1929 look like a bull market. :headbang:

I would guess a 9.9 WD black (not to be confused with the virtually worthless white copy) will be worth somewhere between $40k to $50k by this time next year.

Only if by "next year" you mean "TOMORROW!!" :ohnoez:

I feel bad for the people that pay 10K for a WD1 9.9. Theres just no way that it will maintain that kind of value. People will be taking a huge hit if they spend that much money for it, and its unfortunate that you have these hardcore WD fans who are willing to drop that much money for a book without even consulting expert opinions. I dont know a single professional investor that would recommend WD 1 9.9 for $10K as a good investment piece.

I would guess a 9.9 WD black (not to be confused with the virtually worthless white copy) will be worth somewhere between $40k to $50k by this time next year.

I hope you are joking.

I hope you are joking.

I'd bet dollars & donuts that he is.

-slym