• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

You added zero value to this conversation other than soapboxing.

Kudos!

You're very testy for a noob.

Mint is someone who gives a lot to this community of anonymous chat forum yappers. You seem to be ripping old members new holes often. Might be a tactic you want to rethink.

Just sayin'

:foryou:

Fair feedback.

However, I recommend you look back at the conversation history. I am rarely the first to escalate and I wasn't in this case. It isn't unreasonable to question people's posts, especially the controversial and polarizing ones. It also isn't unfair to ask for information to back up opinions. I value experience and insight, but only when it is more than just prose.

Healthy tension happens here quite frequently and to everyone. Longevity doesn't preclude one from discussion.

While everyone might not like my approach, it is not as if I attack people outright (joking posts aside). However, like everyone else on this site, I poke back. :baiting:

How was anything he mentioned polarizing? You were the one who tried to sum up his long post with the following: "Not everything you see on eBay is illegal".

When did he ever say that? Escalation = you.

You added zero value to this conversation other than soapboxing.

Kudos!

You're very testy for a noob.

Mint is someone who gives a lot to this community of anonymous chat forum yappers. You seem to be ripping old members new holes often. Might be a tactic you want to rethink.

Just sayin'

:foryou:

Fair feedback.

However, I recommend you look back at the conversation history. I am rarely the first to escalate and I wasn't in this case. It isn't unreasonable to question people's posts, especially the controversial and polarizing ones. It also isn't unfair to ask for information to back up opinions. I value experience and insight, but only when it is more than just prose.

Healthy tension happens here quite frequently and to everyone. Longevity doesn't preclude one from discussion.

While everyone might not like my approach, it is not as if I attack people outright (joking posts aside). However, like everyone else on this site, I poke back. :baiting:

How was anything he mentioned polarizing? You were the one who tried to sum up his long post with the following: "Not everything you see on eBay is illegal".

When did he ever say that? Escalation = you.

This is ridiculous. I challenged a post because I felt the statement was polarizing (see below). The poster responded defensively and did not provide any additional support to solidify their position. From there I stated opinions are not statements of fact. They got pissed and basically told me they don't care. I responded that soapboxing doesn't help.

This is a polarizing statement:

When I was more active on eBay, I saw a lot of 'manipulative' auction data on video games alone. Don't even get me started on what was occurring in the collectibles markets overall. There is no question in my mind that a lot of high profile price levels seen on eBay are being manipulated for the benefit of a few greedy and ethically challenged individuals.

It is inflammatory, subjective observation and bias.

I don't give a if you invented the internet and were the first member of this site. Everyone who speaks in any public forum is subject for questioning. If their opinions are so valid and experience so invaluable, then there should be a plethora of information to provide as substantiation. If they don't have it, their opinion is bunk. If they do have it and choose not to provide it, they don't have a right to whine. If they do provide it, I will read it and the discussion will continue. Simple as that.

Everything else is just noise.

Making friends and influencing people since 3/28/13

How is that helpful?

You are unhappy that I challenge your opinions (and the opinions of others) and disagree with you (and others). Then you make passive aggressive statements to improve the situation?

I find it funny that the some of the so called veterans I am supposed to respect because they have been on this site for a long time are among the least mature of the bunch. You make statements, refuse to back them up and then deflect/evade any additional inquiry with snide remarks.

I don't know which is the worse scenario:

1) the fact that you have no substance behind your "storied facade"

-or-

2) the fact that you are extremely unwilling to share substance because someone doesn't take your word as gold

Whichever one you are, both are unfortunate.

Please note that these statements do not apply to everyone on this site, just the select few who know who they are.

Edited by rfoiii

Wasn't it rfoiii who came out guns a-blazin', talkin' 'bout "There's no logical, earthly reason why anyone would ever free a CGC comic?" That's just how he roll. :luhv:

Yep, that didn't go well here and there.

I thought it ended well enough though. From what I observed, some people on this site just don't like to support their point of view. It appears to be mostly a take it or leave it mentality...

Wasn't it rfoiii who came out guns a-blazin', talkin' 'bout "There's no logical, earthly reason why anyone would ever free a CGC comic?" That's just how he roll. :luhv:

I thought it ended well enough though. From what I observed, some people on this site just don't like to support their point of view. It appears to be mostly a take it or leave it mentality...

Dude, you come on strong and you know it. That's cool, but don't act like you don't.

Dude, you come on strong and you know it. That's cool, but don't act like you don't.

I 100% own up to that and I know it is not a popular approach.

However, I am far from the worst on the site and I am definitely not mean.

Edited by rfoiii

How is that helpful?

You are unhappy that I challenge your opinions (and the opinions of others) and disagree with you (and others). Then you make passive aggressive statements to improve the situation?

I find it funny that the some of the so called veterans I am supposed to respect because they have been on this site for a long time are among the least mature of the bunch. You make statements, refuse to back them up and then deflect/evade any additional inquiry with snide remarks.

-or-

2) the fact that you are extremely unwilling to share substance because someone doesn't take your word as gold

Please note that these statements do not apply to everyone on this site, just the select few who know who they are.

Thank goodness you've come to straighten us unfortunates out. meh

How is that helpful?

-or-

Dont respect them just put up with them.

How is that helpful?

-or-

Point proven. Thank you!

rfoiii, here is the best advice you'll receive with regards to conversations here: don't take this board seriously. You'll just burn yourself out trying to win an argument, and for what?

If you want to make a point, state your facts and indicate any flaws in the other parties reasoning (preferably with humor). They usually give up after that.

rfoiii, here is the best advice you'll receive with regards to conversations here: don't take this board seriously. You'll just burn yourself out trying to win an argument, and for what?

If you want to make a point, state your facts and indicate any flaws in the other parties reasoning (preferably with humor). They usually give up after that.

Is u true?

Rfoiii,

In all honesty I fail to see what is wrong with anything I wrote. Furthermore, by saying that I sounded 'more like a conspiracy theorist than an experienced dealer’; do you really think I wanted to carry on this discussion any further? Why would anyone? If I recall, you had also got very defensive to several other well respected board members in a silver age thread about the 'top ten silver age investment comic books of 2013' (for those who wish to view this thread this is also the name of the thread as well).

Perhaps it's time to take your own advice (direct from your own signature line):

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress."

On a unrelated note to the current popularity of the WD books and more related to the past popularity of WD books...

Cleaning out a storage room today and started throwing away old store paperwork that I don't have to keep for tax purposes anymore and looked at some old Diamond invoices.

I can say truthfully that I was able to still reorder issue # 1 from Diamond when issue # 3 was coming out.

Can't remember the print run of WD #1 ( 7700 or so? ) ... but Diamond still had them three months after initial ship.

Not that popular back then eh? As you can see, I only had 3 subscribers and one copy for the shelf on #3.

Well worth the $1.475 to reorder those five copies... now I just have to find them ;)

Still looking for the original shipping invoice which had the initial shipment of #1's on it.

img210_zpsb8e6e36c.jpg

Rfoiii,

In all honesty I fail to see what is wrong with anything I wrote. Furthermore, by saying that I sounded 'more like a conspiracy theorist than an experienced dealer’; do you really think I wanted to carry on this discussion any further? Why would anyone?

Thank you for the feedback and I can understand why you wouldn't want to continue at that point. It was meant to get you to respond to my original concern that your comment could be read perhaps in a way that you did not intend.

To be fair, I did not make an inflammatory statement until after you reacted very strongly in the first place with CAPS and all.

In any case, we don't need to carry on any further. I hear you.

Rfoiii,

In all honesty I fail to see what is wrong with anything I wrote. Furthermore, by saying that I sounded 'more like a conspiracy theorist than an experienced dealer’; do you really think I wanted to carry on this discussion any further? Why would anyone? If I recall, you had also got very defensive to several other well respected board members in a silver age thread about the 'top ten silver age investment comic books of 2013' (for those who wish to view this thread this is also the name of the thread as well).

Perhaps it's time to take your own advice (direct from your own signature line):

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress."

On a side note I was reading Karl Popper's The Myth of the Framework last year and, correct me if I am wrong, but he suggests that even argument where both sides are irrational and uncooperative can be a positive learning experience. Not sure I agree but it was an interesting idea.

On a unrelated note to the current popularity of the WD books and more related to the past popularity of WD books...

Cleaning out a storage room today and started throwing away old store paperwork that I don't have to keep for tax purposes anymore and looked at some old Diamond invoices.

I can say truthfully that I was able to still reorder issue # 1 from Diamond when issue # 3 was coming out.

Can't remember the print run of WD #1 ( 7700 or so? ) ... but Diamond still had them three months after initial ship.

Not that popular back then eh? As you can see, I only had 3 subscribers and one copy for the shelf on #3.

Well worth the $1.475 to reorder those five copies... now I just have to find them ;)

Still looking for the original shipping invoice which had the initial shipment of #1's on it.

img210_zpsb8e6e36c.jpg

Very cool. I love subjunctive history. "If only I had..."

Edited by The-Collector