• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Next Villain(s) for Spiderman III will be....

120 posts in this topic

They say one of the biggest mistakes was not bringing back Joker for Batman 3.

The difference here is that nobody complained about Joker.

The biggest complaint with Spidey1 was Gobby.

I don't think he can carry another movie.

sumo.gif

If they bring a Goblin back in it will be sleeping.gif

I am sure alot of people will lose interest if you put a villian in who is the same as a previous one.

Lizard or Venom should be next film 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

villains that should NOT be in a sequel (unless completely overhauled).

1. Kraven

2. Mysterio

3. Vulture

4. Carnage

5. Tarantula (maybe)

6. Scorpion

7. Rhino

8. The Enforcers

9. Black Cat

10. Chameleon.

Your thoughts?

VZ

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to see the Vulture, Scorpion or the Rhino in a future film. Any one of them would translate well to the big screen IMHO.

Put that dancin' old guy from the SIX FLAGS commercials in a VULTURE costume. I'd bet people would go just to see him. insane.gif

I think the third movie could have multiple bad guys as long as they don't actually team up. Spidey has had cartoons on the air for most of the last 30 years, and plenty of folks who have never read a comic book are well aware that he has several different villains he fights. The biggest difference between the Spidey movies and the Batman-Superman-XMen movies is that Spidey's villains don't have to be "Super-Villains".

Once you set up that Superman is from another planet, can fly, shoot eye beams, turn back time, survive in space, etc... it's awfully difficult to maintain any kind of suspension of disbelief when he is fighting anyone not capable of blowing up a planet.

By the time of Batman and Robin, they had set up Batman as being such a badass that no single villain was any kind of threat to him. So he either had to fight a "super-villain" or fight a group of teamed-up villains.

The X-Men are already established as being so individually powerful that the only reason for them to act as a team is to fight enemies of the "super-villain" caliber.

Spider-Man isn't like that... He just isn't.

He's young. He's inexperienced. He questions his own abilities. He has no one to guide him. He struggles in both his real life and his heroic life.

By keeping Spider-Man as vulnerable as they have, they not only maintain the essence of the character, but they also avoid the problem most other heroic stories have, because they don't have to continually up the ante. Spidey almost got his butt kicked by a guy who had only been a villain for a couple months!

You look at a franchise like the Star Trek films and you see a franchise that fell prey to the problems of continually upping the ante. If they continually beat more and more outrageous opponents the writers have nowhere to go. They certainly can't do a story about an opponent weaker than the last one...

I honestly think they could introduce as many as three Spidey villains in the next movie without ruining it, as long as only one of them is the villain for the movie. They could do an opening with Spidey fighting the Rhino that lasts about six minutes and have the Rhino not appear again in the film and it would still work. They have even established the groundwork for this already. Peter has made several comments in the first two films about having "enemies", not one, but several. His villains aren't "super-villains". There are many of them he could fight in a movie without being the villain for the film. And the audiences will accept it.

I could see the third movie being primarily about the Lizard, with equal focus on the Curt-Peter relationship as on the Lizard-Spidey relationship, with the movie also including a kickass fight scene with either the Vulture or the Rhino that is unconnected to the main storyarc but demonstrates that Spidey's life isn't one-dimensional. In amongst his problems with Mary Jane and his ongoing relationship with Curt Connors, he also has to catch random bad guys and fight second-rate lunatics like the Vulture. That movie could very easily include a back story showing the gradual degeneration of Harry, culminating in Harry accepting the Goblin mantle at the close of the film. Show Harry initially rejecting his father's insanity, but gradually succumbing to it by the end of the film.

Batman and Robin had too many villains because they needed to interact with each other in order to make the -script work. But with Peter's discussion of "enemies" and Jonah's comments about the various menaces in town, it's pretty easy to have Spidey fight a 2nd-tier villain in the third film without ruining the story...

good suggestions House. With Spidey, they seem to have some real momentum and can plan along the lines you mentioned - - having Spidey fight other bad guys in #3 while just moving Harrys story along in the background.

Raimi knows that if he brings back that horrid Green Power Ranger outfit, the fanboys will lynch him.

I give Raimi a little more credit than to set-up a final scene (not to mention that he did this during a climatic point in the plot) with no connection to the next chapter. Granted, there are a lot of subtle hints that keep us guessing, but when Dafoe's calling Franco out to avenge his death, the on-camera panning of the Green Goblins quarters, his crotch-rocket, mask and pumpkin-bombs scream out that Raimi's choice to adopt a new outfit might have already been met with stern opposition by the studio and its budgetary calls for a rigid Gobby outfit that won't drain the CGI budget. The only out is that Harry didn't look like a willing disciple... but otherwise, I think we are very likely to see that horrid costume donned once again. frown.gif

You will all see a "good" GG, and not an evil one in the next film. As to who the real villain will be? My vote is...

Paste Pot Pete or the Ringer!

Raimi knows that if he brings back that horrid Green Power Ranger outfit, the fanboys will lynch him.

I give Raimi a little more credit than to set-up a final scene (not to mention that he did this during a climatic point in the plot) with no connection to the next chapter. Granted, there are a lot of subtle hints that keep us guessing, but when Dafoe's calling Franco out to avenge his death, the on-camera panning of the Green Goblins quarters, his crotch-rocket, mask and pumpkin-bombs scream out that Raimi's choice to adopt a new outfit might have already been met with stern opposition by the studio and its budgetary calls for a rigid Gobby outfit that won't drain the CGI budget. The only out is that Harry didn't look like a willing disciple... but otherwise, I think we are very likely to see that horrid costume donned once again. frown.gif

You will all see a "good" GG, and not an evil one in the next film. As to who the real villain will be? My vote is...

Paste Pot Pete or the Ringer!

MMMMMMMMM...............Paste Pot Pete cloud9.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

i'm truly astounded to find a thread about the plotlines for Spidey3 running up a quick 6 pages of posts when the current movie that was so anxiously awaited and is proving to be such a mega-hit, isn't finished it's first week in theaters........ insane.gif

You will all see a "good" GG, and not an evil one in the next film. As to who the real villain will be?

One strong factor from Sony/Marvel's side to morphing GG into a ne costume, or even into Hobby would be the toy sales etc thata new look would offer. Using the same old Gobby Power Ranger look wont sell as many new toys

hmmmm...Paste Pot pete eh???

I agree with this. Son of Gobby should be brought along in the background of Spidey 3 in order to focus on another main villain like the Lizard. Perhaps Spider-Man is able to save or "cure" Dr. Conners by movie's end, meaning that Harry Osborne will find his own father's death tougher to swallow, leading to his decision to kill Peter. Why can he save Conners but not my dad? etc.

I think they should do the same thing in the X-Men films. Phoenix should be the backstory to a major Sentinels assault or something similar (Hellfire Club?). By the end, however, she's given into her power and emerges as Dark Phoenix. Sort of like the B-movie cliffhangers from the '50's; it'd make for a kick-butt X-Men 4!

Dan

The big challenge in Spidey 3 won't be picking the right villain, but giving the character a new arc.

The first movie was about Pete coming to grips with his powers and the responsibility they entailed. By the end, he'd grown from geek to superhero.

The second movie let Pete reevaluate his dual-roles, giving up being Spider-man so that Peter Parker could flourish, and then coming out of the ordeal with a new determination and resolve.

In the third movie.... ?

Basically, they're already done the two easiest arcs, mimicking the Superman movies to an extent, and it'll be interesting what path the Parker/Spidey character goes on in subsequent movies.

I agree with this. Son of Gobby should be brought along in the background of Spidey 3 in order to focus on another main villain like the Lizard. Perhaps Spider-Man is able to save or "cure" Dr. Conners by movie's end, meaning that Harry Osborne will find his own father's death tougher to swallow, leading to his decision to kill Peter. Why can he save Conners but not my dad? etc.

I think they should do the same thing in the X-Men films. Phoenix should be the backstory to a major Sentinels assault or something similar (Hellfire Club?). By the end, however, she's given into her power and emerges as Dark Phoenix. Sort of like the B-movie cliffhangers from the '50's; it'd make for a kick-butt X-Men 4!

Dan

I completely agree with you, Dan.

he may be a confident superhero at the end of #2...

but SPideys essense is the troubkles he faces and how being a cool superhero never brings him happiness. SO they can just follow th ecomics and give him 5 unhappy endings for every one. Look for #3 to end on a bad note. Spidey is always a loser who has to keep fighting through adversity. Thats his hook and in the comics and the key to success in the movies.

Bulletin, This just in: Aunt May suffers heart attack in #3 leading to deathbed pep talk to Peter to go sling some webs..

Spidey is always a loser who has to keep fighting through adversity. Thats his hook and in the comics and the key to success in the movies.

Not really, as without character change and growth, that schtick would get pretty boring in a 2 hour movie.

I'm really wondering what they're going to pull, as I think the logical move would be to leave Peter without any personal responsibilities. May find a new boyfriend, MJ is involved with someone else, Harry is busy becoming the Hobgoblin 2, and then see how Pete/Spidey would learn and grow from this new-found freedom.

I remember that was done in the comics, and provided some level of character growth.

Spidey is always a loser who has to keep fighting through adversity. Thats his hook and in the comics and the key to success in the movies.

Not really, as without character change and growth, that schtick would get pretty boring in a 2 hour movie.

worked pretty good for the first 20 years...... Its what made Spidey (and Marvel) different.

We'll see in three years what decision were made as to the direction they take....

worked pretty good for the first 20 years...... Its what made Spidey (and Marvel) different.

Comics aren't movies, not to mention that's a pretty simplistic view on the first 20 years of ASM writing.

If you go through the first 150 issues or so, every once in a while you will find "movie moments" where Peter/Spidey is faced with a serious challenge or obstacle and is forced to change and grow from it.

Things like:

AF 15: Spider bite, Uncle Ben's death and Spidey's role in it

ASM 39-40: Pete's best friend's father is revealed to be the Green Goblin

ASM 50: Pete gives up being Spidey

ASM 89-90: Death of Capt. Stacy

ASM 121: Death of Gwen Stacy

ASM 122: Death of Green Goblin

ASM 136: Harry becomes the Green Goblin

ASM 149: Spidey confronts his clone

There are others, but it's really no surprise that the first two movies have incorporated so many of these "life-changing highlights", or that the subsequent movies will likely make use of many others.

Comics aren't movies, not to mention that's a pretty simplistic view on the first 20 years of ASM writing.

If you go through the first 150 issues or so, every once in a while you will find "movie moments" where Peter/Spidey is faced with a serious challenge or obstacle and is forced to change and grow from it.

Things like:

AF 15: Spider bite, Uncle Ben's death and Spidey's role in it

ASM 39-40: Pete's best friend's father is revealed to be the Green Goblin

ASM 50: Pete gives up being Spidey

ASM 89-90: Death of Capt. Stacy

ASM 121: Death of Gwen Stacy

ASM 122: Death of Green Goblin

ASM 136: Harry becomes the Green Goblin

ASM 149: Spidey confronts his clone

There are others, but it's really no surprise that the first two movies have incorporated so many of these "life-changing highlights", or that the subsequent movies will likely make use of many others.

Hey how about the next movie or the 4 could have issue ASM #25 The Spider-Slayer,I can just imagine J.J.Jameson going toe to toe with Spidey all over Manhatten throw verbal insults backin fore.Now that would be Kool.......

Couple of things. First, I think that everyone is going about this wrong. Raimi isn't going to build Spidey 3 from the villian. Right now he's looking at a blank sheet of paper (that says "From the mind of Sam" across the top) and is thinking to himself: "What role will Bruce Campbell play in Spiderman 3?" From there all good things come...

Second, the 2nd Green Goblin, whatever you call him, has to be in #3. If every Joe Schmo out there seeing #1 and #2 doesn't see this story arc come to an end, they'll be wondering what happened. And there's a lot more Joe Schmo's out there then people on the CGC boards.

That being said, I think that there have been some great suggestions thrown out.