• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I need help.....

9 posts in this topic

I recently came across someone with a Captain America #37 and Action Comics #33. Both books have great covers, but some of the inside pages are torn from the centerfold and I'm not sure that other pages are not missing.

I would say both books would be a VG+ witht the complete pages in them, maybe even a Fine(minus).

What should I offer this gentleman for both books..?? He also has some Police Stories(w/Plasticman). 5 Issues all if Fine+, except one is VG-.

Is there a market fore imcomplete books...????

To give you an idea, I recently paid about $125 for a Cap 41 missing the centerfold - that was otherwise VG/VG+. This was around 75% of low guide. I think the relative value of the 37 would be somewhat effected by whether it is the Red Skull story that is missing pages. Also the Action could be effected by which story was missing pages. On Ebay there seems to be a strong market for incomplete and coveless GA, especially when even a low grade complete copy runs into the $100s of dollars. Let me know if you pass on the Cap 37 - I'd be interested.

I recently came across someone with a Captain America #37 and Action Comics #33. Both books have great covers, but some of the inside pages are torn from the centerfold and I'm not sure that other pages are not missing.

I would say both books would be a VG+ witht the complete pages in them, maybe even a Fine(minus).

What should I offer this gentleman for both books..?? He also has some Police Stories(w/Plasticman). 5 Issues all if Fine+, except one is VG-.

Is there a market fore imcomplete books...????

If you don't want them, please let me know. I'll take them both.

Several years back, I bought a Daredevil Battles Hitler missing the centerfold. I paid $300 for it. Other than the missing centerfold it was real nice. A few years later, I found a coverless copy missing the first wrap for $200. The page color matched exactly. I sent the book to Matt Nelson who merge the two and now have a complete copy in about FN+ that I spent $500 on. Now you are going to say "hey wait what about the restoration cost?" Well Matt took the remaining part of the Daredevil as payment for the work he did. I think I came out pretty good on the deal. If you are persistant, you may be able to find a coverless copy of the books and then merge them, especially if the rest of the two books is pretty nice.

Nice score on the married copy of Daredevil battles Hitler. I'd buy a married copy of any book I'm looking for - I find that sort of restoration productive and no where near as bothersome as pieces manufactured to improve grade.

Several years back, I bought a Daredevil Battles Hitler missing the centerfold. I paid $300 for it. Other than the missing centerfold it was real nice. A few years later, I found a coverless copy missing the first wrap for $200. The page color matched exactly. I sent the book to Matt Nelson who merge the two and now have a complete copy in about FN+ that I spent $500 on. Now you are going to say "hey wait what about the restoration cost?" Well Matt took the remaining part of the Daredevil as payment for the work he did. I think I came out pretty good on the deal. If you are persistant, you may be able to find a coverless copy of the books and then merge them, especially if the rest of the two books is pretty nice.

Good point made here, comics missing only the centerfold are worth a look. Finding a lower grade/coverless and later adding the centerfold to have a complete book at a reasonable cost. I think I would skip having it restored though, just place the centerfold within. Naturally, if selling the book later, always disclose this.

As far as interior art goes, Daredevil Battles Hitler is one of my top 10 choices of all GA books. Hitler is on just about every page and on dozens of panels. The artwork is far better than the usual DD Lev Gleason stuff they were pumping out in the mid 40's and on.

West