• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cerebus the Aardvark #1 Club... Show us whatcha got...

97 posts in this topic

Hulk 181 definitely on the rise… a few years ago i had a copy graded at 8.5 sold it to a guy in vegas who knew nothing about graded comics for 1500… we went to a local comic shop to verify the book was legit and not pasted together with fake cgc plastic… lol… anyhow one of the dudes working there literally scoffed at how much the guy was paying for it… I told him in the long run you can make money on it I guarantee it… he didn't mind bc he was keeping it for himself.. anyhow he's doing pretty good today id say… I bought the Sims file copy… didn't hesitate bc its such a rare bird… and if he ships me the other books I bought(which he promised still waiting) ill have more to share for you guys...

Hulk 181 definitely on the rise… a few years ago i had a copy graded at 8.5 sold it to a guy in vegas who knew nothing about graded comics for 1500… we went to a local comic shop to verify the book was legit and not pasted together with fake cgc plastic… lol… anyhow one of the dudes working there literally scoffed at how much the guy was paying for it… I told him in the long run you can make money on it I guarantee it… he didn't mind bc he was keeping it for himself.. anyhow he's doing pretty good today id say… I bought the Sims file copy… didn't hesitate bc its such a rare bird… and if he ships me the other books I bought(which he promised still waiting) ill have more to share for you guys...

I was wondering if that was you who grabbed that Sims copy. Nice pick up. (thumbs u

-J.

Here are the actual numbers from the last 6 months on both books:

Hulk 181 last 8.0 sale: $1,727 from this month.

Hulk 181 last 8.5 sale: $1906 from this month.

Hulk 181 last 9.0 sale: $2125 from this month.

Hulk 181 last 9.0 SS sale: $3000, from 11/14

Cerebus 1 last 9.0 SS sale (Sims File Copy): $2275, from 12/14

Cerebus 1 last 8.5 sale: $855, from 6/14

Cerebus 1 last 8.0 sale: $1300 from 10/14 (prior sale in 8/14 for $833)

Hulk 181 outperforms handily across the board, in spite of its availability.

-J.

Sim. Or Sim's.

Hulk 181 definitely on the rise a few years ago i had a copy graded at 8.5 sold it to a guy in vegas who knew nothing about graded comics for 1500 we went to a local comic shop to verify the book was legit and not pasted together with fake cgc plastic lol anyhow one of the dudes working there literally scoffed at how much the guy was paying for it I told him in the long run you can make money on it I guarantee it he didn't mind bc he was keeping it for himself.. anyhow he's doing pretty good today id say I bought the Sims file copy didn't hesitate bc its such a rare bird and if he ships me the other books I bought(which he promised still waiting) ill have more to share for you guys...

I was wondering if that was you who grabbed that Sims copy. Nice pick up. (thumbs u

-J.

Sim.

People like to add random esses to other people's last names for some reason.

Hulk 181 definitely on the rise a few years ago i had a copy graded at 8.5 sold it to a guy in vegas who knew nothing about graded comics for 1500 we went to a local comic shop to verify the book was legit and not pasted together with fake cgc plastic lol anyhow one of the dudes working there literally scoffed at how much the guy was paying for it I told him in the long run you can make money on it I guarantee it he didn't mind bc he was keeping it for himself.. anyhow he's doing pretty good today id say I bought the Sims file copy didn't hesitate bc its such a rare bird and if he ships me the other books I bought(which he promised still waiting) ill have more to share for you guys...

-J.

Sim.

Are you insinuating fine sir; that such half haphazard penmenship has lead to the overall decline of our society as a whole?!?

-J.

Sim.

Are you insinuating fine sir; that such half haphazard penmenship has lead to the overall decline of our society as a whole?!?

Yes.

Yes I am.

That is all.

"led"

:whistle:

I think the fact that we are posting in a informal setting such as a forum… it is ok to have such mistakes… for example I used bc… left out certain apostrophies etc… only bc I know what type of setting we are in… I figure people are educated enough to fill in the blanks.. figure out what other people are trying to say… it's like going to the beach and arguing with somebody about them walking around with their shirt off…

I think the fact that we are posting in a informal setting such as a forum it is ok to have such mistakes for example I used bc left out certain apostrophies etc only bc I know what type of setting we are in I figure people are educated enough to fill in the blanks.. figure out what other people are trying to say it's like going to the beach and arguing with somebody about them walking around with their shirt off

Oh, we've gotten serious. Alright.

The analogy is a bad one. If one wanted to, they could spend an entire day, every day, pointing out the errors in grammar, spelling, and syntax around here. What is actually pointed out is a tiny fraction of what could be pointed out, and is usually just for tweaking, and not meant to be taken (too) seriously.

It isn't a problem...usually...to figure out what people are trying to say, but why place the burden on others to figure it out? That's more than a little presumptuous. The devolution of the language may not seem to be a big deal...and, on the edges, it's not...but eventually, it will lead to serious problems with communication, resulting, ultimately, in major damage and loss of life. And I'm not using hyperbole; in many fields, miscommunication due to improper understanding and use of the language has actually led to major damage and/or loss of life.

How many people, for example, have died because of incorrect dosages on a prescription written in doctor's shorthand...? The answer is more than one. And that's just one example.

"That isn't the same thing!" you might protest. No, it's not, but fostering that attitude here, where it doesn't (necessarily) matter, has a way of infecting attitudes in every facet of life. Who's to say some pharmacy tech gets something wrong because they're used to communicating improperly...? It happens all the time.

The setting shouldn't matter: proper communication is proper communication, regardless of where it occurs. One shouldn't speak so that others have to work to understand you; otherwise the point of communicating at all is frequently lost. It's not a matter of trying to control other people; it's a matter of taking pride in how one presents oneself to the world in general.

However, it is common courtesy to spell people's names correctly, all other considerations aside. And this is just a philosophical response; I wasn't correcting your post at all, just Jaydog's misspelling of Sim's last name.

-J.

Sim. Or Sim's.

Sweet mother of----

Did my failure to include an apostrophe in my post really need to cause such a discourse ? doh!

-J.

There's a generalized attitude, including on these boards, that the newer generations are losing the ability to communicate through the written word. I work with people ranging in ages from 24 to 64, and also regularly email with family members who fall into a larger age spectrum. It's my observation that this inability to effectively communicate is not limited to any particular generation; everyone is terrible at it. Incidentally, there are many, many posts on these boards that I read and think to myself, "I have absolutely no idea what this person is trying to say." I assume that this has been a problem throughout much of American history and isn't the new phenomenon that most people think it is.

forum posts are not scholarly articles… don't expect that other people are english majors… don't make flash judgements of people… I would focus more on content then wether or not a person makes a grammar error… when i write a post; i figure, hey its a forum… i am not going to waste my time editing or making sure i cross every t and dot every i… i don't give a hoot; if I'm writing on here it is probably my day off and i am trying to relax for once…

I could see it now a patient is coding needs CPR and i tell them no; i leave out apostrophies on CGC Forum threads I'm not qualified to save that persons life call RMA...

lol

No need to take anything personally, or make light of what is a legitimate point.

(thumbs u

-J.

Sim. Or Sim's.

Sweet mother of----

Did my failure to include an apostrophe in my post really need to cause such a discourse ? doh!

-J.

You didn't fail to include an apostrophe. You misspelled Sim's name as "Sims."

Know how I know? You did it twice, and the second time, you didn't use it as a possessive.

No need to get excited; it was a light tweaking that happened to take a serious turn by the question Snikt posed. It's an interesting topic, and your misspelling was the springboard, not the cause.

forum posts are not scholarly articles don't expect that other people are english majors don't make flash judgements of people I would focus more on content then wether or not a person makes a grammar error when i write a post; i figure, hey its a forum i am not going to waste my time editing or making sure i cross every t and dot every i i don't give a hoot; if I'm writing on here it is probably my day off and i am trying to relax for once

You may have missed my point: as I said earlier, if one wanted to, one could spend all day, every day, "correcting" the mistakes around here. Nobody does that. No one expects perfection. It isn't about control, or trying to make others "be correct", it's about inspiring a personal pride in how one presents oneself to the world at large.

And, occasionally, the very, very minor corrections that happen are a reflection of that, and to help people be understood more clearly. Your post here took effort to understand, because there are a lot of problems with it, and I'm not a stupid guy. How many people won't be able to understand it at all? How many times do people give up trying to understand someone because of bad composition? They're legitimate questions.

Honestly, people have a hard enough time understanding where others are coming from around here when proper grammar and spelling ARE used; why make it even harder by writing poorly...? Isn't the point of saying something at all so that you communicate an idea, an expression, something you want others to consider..? And if they can't understand you...isn't that a wasted effort?

hm

In any event, not a big deal, and I hope you understand that this is an entirely philosophical interaction...I'm not passing judgment about anyone on this issue. I'm not saying you, or anyone, is a bad person because they don't (or can't) write properly. Lazy, maybe, but not bad. ;) There's nothing personal about it at all.

Fair enough? :)

fair enough; but Sims or Sim's

honestly big deal…

i'm just writing fast i don't care what people think on a ''comic book forum''; wether it is a big deal I leave out a apostrophe… it is not a reflection on my level of work; career or anything of that sort(how I carry myself)… if you ask me you thats pure bs…

God forbid, "The President'' let's say; make an error on a document… that is why he has someone on payroll(maybe a person with a english degree) edit his written statements… does that make him incapable of deciding wether or not to send troops over seas…

honestly from what I have heard… he has a speech writer… they probably paraphrase what he has to say...

There's a generalized attitude, including on these boards, that the newer generations are losing the ability to communicate through the written word. I work with people ranging in ages from 24 to 64, and also regularly email with family members who fall into a larger age spectrum. It's my observation that this inability to effectively communicate is not limited to any particular generation; everyone is terrible at it. Incidentally, there are many, many posts on these boards that I read and think to myself, "I have absolutely no idea what this person is trying to say." I assume that this has been a problem throughout much of American history and isn't the new phenomenon that most people think it is.

I disagree with your last statement.

Writing used to be taught as a paramount foundation to education.

One need not look much further than Civil War letters to see that grammar, spelling, and especially penmanship were taken very seriously in earlier decades. Not that everyone WAS literate...they clearly weren't...but if they were going to set pen to paper, they made sure it was done in a way that communicated what they wanted to say effectively and clearly.

r2f368a.jpg

Granted...in the early days of the Modern English language (1400-1750), spelling was very, very fluid, and writers in 1622 would consider us strange for insisting that "castle" should be spelled that way. "Castel", Castl", "Kassel", "Kasle" were all accepted spellings; and the issue wouldn't have been as important...keeping in mind that during that time, only 1-2% of the population read or wrote at all (clergy, nobility, bureaucracy), with the vast majority being illiterate.

But since the publication of the first Encyclopedia Brittanica between 1768-1771, and the concept of education as a matter of public and social importance regardless of class, the language has been codified and standardized, and most generations up until World War II spent a great deal of time and effort to learn the "second R", that is, "Writing."

It isn't that older generations were just as ill-adept at communication through the written word as newer ones...it's that newer ones simply don't care if they are perceived negatively about it, which is, itself, becoming much more rare.

fair enough; but Sims or Sim's

honestly big deal

It's a "big deal" because it's not the guy's name. It's a matter of respect for the creator. I'll always correct someone calling him Dave Sims.

The apostrophe has nothing to do with any of this conversation.

And people DO judge you...fairly or not...on the face you present, for good, bad, or otherwise.