• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cerebus the Aardvark #1 Club... Show us whatcha got...

97 posts in this topic

Recently obtained my copy from MSchmidt - just waiting for it to arrive. Such a cool and historic book to own - I've always wanted a true Cerebus #1. A friend of mine had one back when we both owned comic shops. I always suspected it was a counterfeit and he knew it but still told everyone it was real because we could never call him on it. lol

CEREBUS01_CGC_FRONT.jpg

Reading about CGC slabbing counterfeit comics in CG got me to thinking about this title and its collectability in general.

It definitely holds a place in comic collecting history, but as the years go by it seems to be fading into obscurity, and there doesn't seem to be anything on the horizon to change that perception.

Any thoughts on Cerebus as a collectible title and where it goes from here?

Well, OS seems to think it is very strong as this is the only non-variant book in his Top 10 BA list that has gotten significant valuation gains during the past few years with an overall increase of 75% over the past 3 years. Every other non-variant book in his Top 10 BA list seems to be running at an annual increase of only 2% or less. Only behing GL 76 now in terms of non-variant BA guide valuation.

It would be nice if we could see some true HG copies come to market as I believe this lack of HG supply is definitely holding back the price of this book. Those spine ticks from the production flaws seems to be a killer on this particular book as I have not seen a single copy without any.

Not sure about Dave Sim's personal copy which he had?

Reading about CGC slabbing counterfeit comics in CG got me to thinking about this title and its collectability in general.

It definitely holds a place in comic collecting history, but as the years go by it seems to be fading into obscurity, and there doesn't seem to be anything on the horizon to change that perception.

Hah! You didn't kill the thread; we're just exhausted about discussing it.

See here: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7966673#Post7966673

TL:DR - About 70% of the boardies who posted, including 7+ major dealers, stated they would pick a high-grade (true 9.0/9.2/9.4) copy of Cerebus 1 over a similar 9.0/9.2/9.4 copy of Hulk 181. Easily.

A vocal minority disagreed, and extended the thread by about 60+ pages, giving the illusion of a 50/50 split in opinion.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221656824714?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Curious to see what a CGC 8.0 will go for in a straight up auction…

$1726.98… For the last Hulk 181 in that grade…

I think that bar may be a little high…

I think Cerebus has a better shot in a 8.5 grade head to head; even better in a 9.0 and so on...….

Here are the actual numbers from the last 6 months on both books:

Hulk 181 last 8.0 sale: $1,727 from this month.

Hulk 181 last 8.5 sale: $1906 from this month.

Hulk 181 last 9.0 sale: $2125 from this month.

Hulk 181 last 9.0 SS sale: $3000, from 11/14

Cerebus 1 last 9.0 SS sale (Sims File Copy): $2275, from 12/14

Cerebus 1 last 8.5 sale: $855, from 6/14

Cerebus 1 last 8.0 sale: $1300 from 10/14 (prior sale in 8/14 for $833)

Hulk 181 outperforms handily across the board, in spite of its availability.

-J.