• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cerebus the Aardvark #1 Club... Show us whatcha got...

97 posts in this topic

and in the context of what you are saying… 'lazy"… yes indeed… it is a internet forum… a thread… not a legal document… you have to put in context the situation in which people are being submitted to… also the situation they are in… let's say they are 'lazy" because they are resting comfortably… what if said person is half awake because they worked a 12 hour graveyard shift… I think your assessment is biased… and unwarranted… you have to put in context the individual and the situation… 'a internet forum'…

and in the context of what you are saying 'lazy" yes indeed it is a internet forum a thread not a legal document you have to put in context the situation in which people are being submitted to also the situation they are in let's say they are 'lazy" because they are resting comfortably what if said person is half awake because they worked a 12 hour graveyard shift I think your assessment is biased and unwarranted you have to put in context the individual and the situation 'a internet forum'

I get that you think it's not important, because "no one cares, it's an internet forum." I understand. But we are all judged...again, rightly, wrongly, or otherwise...on our ability to communicate, and much of that judgment is entirely subconscious.

Someone may have a (completely unwarranted) bad impression about you (they think you're dumb, for example) because of the way you post, and they may not even be able to articulate that...it's just a subconscious perception that then shades any interaction they may have with you, on a completely subconscious level.

I know for a fact that I consider the opinions of people who don't write well to be "not as well informed" as those who do, and that's an entirely automatic response on my part. I have to think about it to override that.

Not that this is a surprise to anyone, but I want to be understood. I put a great deal of thought into the things I post, and I want to be taken seriously. If I don't put the same effort into communicating properly, any point I'm trying to make will likely get lost, and it will be wasted effort.

But again...that's not a condemnation or judgment of anyone.

hm

people may also "think you are dumb and uneducated" for making snap judgements

i think that is true regardless of your ability to dictate a proper forum post...

People make "snap judgments" about everything, all day, every day. It's life.

I daresay, though, that the amount of people thinking one is dumb and uneducated for making and expressing snap judgments is substantially less than those who make such decisions about people who write badly.

And the "snap judgments" I'm referring to are entirely in the mind, mostly at a sub-conscious level. Hard to judge someone based on what's going on in their mind.

people may also "think you are dumb and uneducated" for making snap judgements

i think that is true regardless of your ability to dictate a proper forum post...

People make "snap judgments" about everything, all day, every day. It's life.

I daresay, though, that the amount of people thinking one is dumb and uneducated for making and expressing snap judgments is substantially less than those who make such decisions about people who write badly.

And the "snap judgments" I'm referring to are entirely in the mind, mostly at a sub-conscious level. Hard to judge someone based on what's going on in their mind.

ok that sounds better...

from my end; as I see it, i feel that RMA is anal about posts to these threads honestly my assessment is limited to that you could be a real anal orifice in real life but i can not determine that from your forum posts alone...

I'm completely ok with your assessment of me; though I certainly have made no likewise assessment of you, and don't know why it needs to be made personal.

:shrug:

There are just so many problems with what RMA is saying. The main one being that English is not the first or native language for many boardies. Secondly this is a casual forum. If you want the king's English spoken 24-7, go to Oxford. Third, no one posting in a forum for nerds, geeks, dorks, and losers should be "judging" anybody (and I say that with tongue firmly in cheek as one of all of the above lol ). Fourth, the only thing more annoying than a grammatically incorrect post is a post that points it out. My 2 cents.

-J.

There are just so many problems with what RMA is saying. The main one being that English is not the first or native language for many boardies. Secondly this is a casual forum. If you want the king's English spoken 24-7, go to Oxford. Third, no one posting in a forum for nerds, geeks, dorks, and losers should be "judging" anybody (and I say that with tongue firmly in cheek as one of all of the above lol ). Fourth, the only thing more annoying than a grammatically incorrect post is a post that points it out. My 2 cents.

-J.

that's what I am saying… in all fairness i think RMA is a nice guy..

but as much as it is his duty to educate others on grammar; I feel it is mine to educate others on people skills… my .02

but i still think it's dumb calling someone out on a forum about their ability to put a apostrophe to a post...

You are mistaken, and repeating that mistake. No one was "called out", nor was anyone corrected about an apostrophe.

Please re-read my original post that started the discussion.

I don't know what else to tell you.

-J.

that's what I am saying… in all fairness i think RMA is a nice guy..

but as much as it is his duty to educate others on grammar; I feel it is mine to educate others on people skills… my .02

You have completely misunderstood just about everything I've said and have been saying.

Oh well, isn't the first time, won't be the last.

Let me spell it out for you: not only is it NOT my "duty" to educate anyone on their grammar, I don't give two flyings about it, other than in a general philosophical manner.

Cheers!