• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cerebus the Aardvark #1 Club... Show us whatcha got...

97 posts in this topic

There are just so many problems with what RMA is saying. The main one being that English is not the first or native language for many boardies. Secondly this is a casual forum. If you want the king's English spoken 24-7, go to Oxford. Third, no one posting in a forum for nerds, geeks, dorks, and losers should be "judging" anybody (and I say that with tongue firmly in cheek as one of all of the above lol ). Fourth, the only thing more annoying than a grammatically incorrect post is a post that points it out. My 2 cents.

-J.

As you like to do, you are arguing exceptions as if they are the rule. No one corrected your grammar.

This is an English language board; that English may not be the first language of a small handful of board members is hardly "the main problem" with what I'm saying.

What, exactly, is a "casual" forum? When you are in a casual social environment, do you forget how to speak properly...? Do you lapse into half-words, grunts, and hand signals?

One more time: no one is "judging" anyone; this is about the PHILOSOPHICAL ISSUE of literacy and writing. If you take it personally, you are missing the point. This is a philosophical discussion, not a personal one.

This is BS.

It's a comic book fan message board - who cares about perfect grammar?

I misspell things in about 70% of my posts. Don't care. I know the rules and work as a professional writer but on a forum like this it doesn't matter.

Further, perfect grammar also doesn't necessarily matter in the grand scheme of things; if anything, many of the obscure rules exist only to differentiate those privileged enough to have had the time and educational access to have been properly trained in the minutiae. It's elitist for the sake of it.

For work, I abide by AP style and proof my mess; here - I just type like a fiend because it doesn't matter.

There are just so many problems with what RMA is saying. The main one being that English is not the first or native language for many boardies. Secondly this is a casual forum. If you want the king's English spoken 24-7, go to Oxford. Third, no one posting in a forum for nerds, geeks, dorks, and losers should be "judging" anybody (and I say that with tongue firmly in cheek as one of all of the above lol ). Fourth, the only thing more annoying than a grammatically incorrect post is a post that points it out. My 2 cents.

-J.

As you like to do, you are arguing exceptions as if they are the rule. No one corrected your grammar.

This is an English language board; that English may not be the first language of a small handful of board members is hardly "the main problem" with what I'm saying.

What, exactly, is a "casual" forum? When you are in a casual social environment, do you forget how to speak properly...? Do you lapse into half-words, grunts, and hand signals?

One more time: no one is "judging" anyone; this is about the PHILOSOPHICAL ISSUE of literacy and writing. If you take it personally, you are missing the point. This is a philosophical discussion, not a personal one.

Yeah, this was an awesome post. hahaha

This is BS.

I misspell things in about 70% of my posts. Don't care. I know the rules and work as a professional writer but on a forum like this it doesn't matter.

Further, perfect grammar also doesn't necessarily matter in the grand scheme of things; if anything, many of the obscure rules exist only to differentiate those privileged enough to have had the time and educational access to have been properly trained in the minutiae. It's elitist for the sake of it.

For work, I abide by AP style and proof my mess; here - I just type like a fiend because it doesn't matter.

BS exactly...

Yes, they have a phrase for that privileged, rarified environment:

Grammar school.

lol

This is BS.

BS exactly...

Yes, I agree. Total BS.

:whee:

I just missed a sweet copy of Cerebus # 1 for a decent price ( my own fault ). So I came here to look at some nice boardie copies, hopefully to make me a little feel better.

Nope, nothing but a particular person arguing with other people, as always, everywhere. What else should I expect.

I just missed a sweet copy of Cerebus # 1 for a decent price ( my own fault ). So I came here to look at some nice boardie copies, hopefully to make me a little feel better.

Nope, nothing but a particular person arguing with other people, as always, everywhere. What else should I expect.

Im hoping to make a post tuesday that will liven this up a bit…

You should learn how to not take things so personally, and not allow other people to make you so upset about various issues that you feel the need to say things that are self-evidently false about them in an attempt to get some small bit of revenge for slights, real or perceived, as you have done here.

And you should also look into learning the difference between a discussion and an argument. You've got the two a bit confused.

If you have a problem with someone...ignore them. If you will not...you are the problem, not them.

You should learn how to not take things so personally, and not allow other people to make you so upset about various issues that you feel the need to say things that are self-evidently false about them in an attempt to get some small bit of revenge for slights, real or perceived, as you have done here.

And you should also look into learning the difference between a discussion and an argument. You've got the two a bit confused.

If you have a problem with someone...ignore them. If you will not...you are the problem, not them.

It's hard to ignore you when you derail nearly every thread with your self-righteous BS. I know I am not the only person who feels this way, but I am just getting tired of it dude.

It's hard to ignore you when you derail nearly every thread with your self-righteous BS. I know I am not the only person who feels this way, but I am just getting tired of it dude.

Hyperbole alert.

No, it's not hard at all. Click my user name over on the left there, go to "View profile", then click that. It will bring up my profile. Near the center is a link which says "ignore this user." Click that.

Problem solved.

If someone has a problem with someone else, posting to complain about it does nothing but unnecessarily create enemies where there were none before. Why? What benefit is there to that? Just ignore them, and move on. If you cannot make the ignore function work, feel free to take your complaint to the moderators. If you can't control yourself, and continue to be annoyed and upset about what other people post that has nothing to do with you, personally, perhaps the internet isn't the place for you.

Because interpreting a theoretical, philosophical discussion as "self-righteous BS" rather makes it seem like the problem is with you.

Hyperbole alert.

No, it's not hard at all. Click my user name over on the left there, go to "View profile", then click that. It will bring up my profile. Near the center is a link which says "ignore this user." Click that.

Problem solved.

If someone has a problem with someone else, posting to complain about it does nothing but unnecessarily create enemies where there were none before. Why? What benefit is there to that? Just ignore them, and move on. If you cannot make the ignore function work, feel free to take your complaint to the moderators. If you can't control yourself, and continue to be annoyed and upset about what other people post that has nothing to do with you, personally, perhaps the internet isn't the place for you.

Because interpreting a theoretical, philosophical discussion as "self-righteous BS" rather makes it seem like the problem is with you.

Naw you are just taking this thread off topic. This isn't the first one either. I have noticed a consistency on your part and haven't spoken up until now because I feel like you are instigating other board members who make a good point about your posting habits. Your discussions are more suited for PM instead of this thread. People come here expecting to read about something related to the topic in the title, and instead have to deal with your "discussions" that have nothing to do with the topic at hand. So please, refrain from doing so and take it to PM or create your own "discussion thread". Devolving from the subject matter makes these threads cluttered with absolute nonsense.

Hyperbole alert.

Problem solved.

Naw you are just taking this thread off topic. This isn't the first one either. I have noticed a consistency on your part and haven't spoken up until now because I feel like you are instigating other board members who make a good point about your posting habits. Your discussions are more suited for PM instead of this thread. People come here expecting to read about something related to the topic in the title, and instead have to deal with your "discussions" that have nothing to do with the topic at hand. So please, refrain from doing so and take it to PM or create your own "discussion thread". Devolving from the subject matter makes these threads cluttered with absolute nonsense.

Blaming any one person for a thread going "off-topic" is silly. I don't "instigate" anything here; but if I see a topic I feel is worth discussing, I'll discuss it.

If you have a problem with something someone posts, the answer is simple, and has already been explained. The only people who have a legitimate say about where, how, and what people post are the owners of this board and the moderation team they employ.

I don't complain about your, or anyone else's, posts. It's presumptuous. Why do you feel it necessary to complain about mine? There is a mechanism in place that allows you to skip over my posts. If what I say bothers you to the point where you feel the need to publicly confront me about it, then the solution is to ignore me. I was here a long time before you, and may be here a long time after. That doesn't mean I think I'm better than you, but it does mean you're not the first person to make an issue of something which, frankly, isn't really your business.

Being annoyed/upset/offended about someone's posting habits that have nothing to do with you, personally, is a very poor waste of time.

Hyperbole alert.

Problem solved.

Blaming any one person for a thread going "off-topic" is silly. I don't "instigate" anything here; but if I see a topic I feel is worth discussing, I'll discuss it.

If you have a problem with something someone posts, the answer is simple, and has already been explained. The only people who have a legitimate say about where, how, and what people post are the owners of this board and the moderation team they employ.

I don't complain about your, or anyone else's, posts. It's presumptuous. Why do you feel it necessary to complain about mine? There is a mechanism in place that allows you to skip over my posts. If what I say bothers you to the point where you feel the need to publicly confront me about it, then the solution is to ignore me. I was here a long time before you, and may be here a long time after. That doesn't mean I think I'm better than you, but it does mean you're not the first person to make an issue of something which, frankly, isn't really your business.

Being annoyed/upset/offended about someone's posting habits that have nothing to do with you, personally, is a very poor waste of time.

Worth discussing? Pretty sure your entry post in this thread was a grammatical correction of another board member. Your "discussion" has nearly accounted for more posts in total than the entire Cerebus 1 discussion (which this topic is about btw).

"Particularly excessive off-topic posting" is against the rules here on the boards. I have no problem reporting you, but just thought I would give you the heads up first. Please take this to PM or create a different thread if you would like to talk about grammar usage so that we can get back to the topic at hand. You can also PM me if you would like to hash things out. Thanks

Hyperbole alert.

Problem solved.

Worth discussing? Pretty sure your entry post in this thread was a grammatical correction of another board member.

You would be mistaken. And the post to which you refer was a correction of Sim's name, who is, of course, the creator of Cerebus. I'm not sure how off-topic that is. Where it got off topic was Snikt88 questioning the need for the correction.

Your "discussion" has nearly accounted for more posts in total than the entire Cerebus 1 discussion (which this topic is about btw).

Right...a dead thread, which, prior to last month, had 5 posts in 15 months.

hm

"Particularly excessive off-topic posting" is against the rules here on the boards. I have no problem reporting you, but just thought I would give you the heads up first. Please take this to PM or create a different thread if you would like to talk about grammar usage so that we can get back to the topic at hand. You can also PM me if you would like to hash things out. Thanks

By all means, you should do whatever you feel is necessary. The moderation team will, as always, make the decision. No need to give anyone a "head's up", though I do appreciate knowing where you stand.

No interest in "hashing it out"; you've already made your position clear.

I would, again, encourage you to make use of the ignore function, and on a more important note, to not let someone else's posting habits bother you so much that you feel you need to publicly confront them about it. If you really felt strongly about "hashing it out"...why did I have no PM from you before you posted publicly...?

hm