• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about writting on cover

13 posts in this topic

I have a comic that I want to send in to get graded. Somebody wrote their initials in red marker in the comic code box. I heard there was a way to get it graded with a blue label and not a plod or glod. Is it possible to take a hit in the grade and not get either of those?

I did read a thread that someone took a grade hit on a signature instead of getting a green label, I can't seem to find it, but I think the poster said they noted to ignore it when they submitted it. What book are we talking here?

Many pedigree books have writing/date stamps on them (thats how they are identified). Many of said books grade out at 9.6 or 9.8 so the writing itself should not impact the grade unless it covers over a defect or is really scribble all over the book. A scan would be real helpful.

You don't. CGC determines what the label will be. Based on what you are saying I doubt your book would come back qualified. This is not like a hole punched in the cover or a missing page.

Hi all, new to the forums and back into collecting. Not sure if I should have created a new thread but it's somewhat related. I understand that writing on a cover that isn't a distributor mark can/will lower the grade of an otherwise high grade SA comic but may not affect grades below 7.0

1. Is there any differentiation and severity assigned to writings depending on:

a. type of implement used (pen vs grease pencil vs marker)

b. location (back cover vs front OR middle cover vs corner/edges)

c. purpose (initials vs graffiti vs unintentional marks vs store/vendor/seller ID markings)

d. Severity vs location (small 1/2" grease pencil "@" symbol or pen mustache over character face at center of front cover versus large (3-5") magic marker or pen doodles on margin of back cover?)

2. If all else is equal on 2-3 comics of the same issue including the writing defect, are the implements used given consideration (1" grease pen vs 1" marker vs 1" pen mark)

3. Is writing considered to be a less or worse defect than tears if both are non-obtrusive (example: small curly cue at FC corner vs 1/8"-1/4" tear(s) on BC.

4. Perhaps this question is best posed elsewhere but are BC defects given less severity weighting than FC defects of the same size/type.

Thank you.

Hi all, new to the forums and back into collecting. Not sure if I should have created a new thread but it's somewhat related. I understand that writing on a cover that isn't a distributor mark can/will lower the grade of an otherwise high grade SA comic but may not affect grades below 7.0

1. Is there any differentiation and severity assigned to writings depending on:

a. type of implement used (pen vs grease pencil vs marker)

b. location (back cover vs front OR middle cover vs corner/edges)

c. purpose (initials vs graffiti vs unintentional marks vs store/vendor/seller ID markings)

d. Severity vs location (small 1/2" grease pencil "@" symbol or pen mustache over character face at center of front cover versus large (3-5") magic marker or pen doodles on margin of back cover?)

2. If all else is equal on 2-3 comics of the same issue including the writing defect, are the implements used given consideration (1" grease pen vs 1" marker vs 1" pen mark)

3. Is writing considered to be a less or worse defect than tears if both are non-obtrusive (example: small curly cue at FC corner vs 1/8"-1/4" tear(s) on BC.

4. Perhaps this question is best posed elsewhere but are BC defects given less severity weighting than FC defects of the same size/type.

Thank you.

from my observation, often with "small" pen, pencil, grease pencil, store stamps are not ding by CGC (bc or fc)..it is marker that BLED thru the cover that will get ding a little or a lot depend on the severity as well as the current condition of the book.

if you have a low grade book, lets say 3.0 with a big black marker that bled thru the cover...I don't think it makes much of a difference.

Now, same bled thru marker on a otherwise 9.8 book and you might only get a 9.0 now. Still a high grade book but a big difference between a 9.0 and a 9.8

of course size of the writing MAY make a difference also. Lets say if someone wrote a small date on the front cover with a pen...not a big deal at all. We all see 9.6 and even 9.8 slabs with small date writing on the fc.

What if someone wrote a big "X" from corners to corners on the fc? not that there is an example to compare but I wager that even a near flawless book now won't get a 9.8 or even a 9.6 with that kind of deface.

Now all that being said, I don't know if someone draw a small mustache on a character on the fc will get a pass even if it is small...lots of scenarios in your questions but I hope I shed a little light.