• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the Classic Cover of the Modern-Age? When did modern age start?

122 posts in this topic

You should then rename the thread to "What are the Classic Issues of the Modern-Age" because a lot of classic covers tend not to be special issues like you have described.

So which ones of the classic covers I suggested are not classic?

I'm not saying those are not classic issues just that you stated "what are the classic COVERS?" and that some great COVERS are not necessarily great ISSUES. Which is why I suggested the change of title.

Right, but what I am asking is why were the ones I suggested not be viewed as classic.

To be blunt if the ones I choose are not deemed as classic covers then nothing from the modern area is classic then. WD #1 is the pinnacle of classic covers for this era no?

You should then rename the thread to "What are the Classic Issues of the Modern-Age" because a lot of classic covers tend not to be special issues like you have described.

That's why I deliberately picked a really nice cover that isn't associated with anything particularly special going on inside.

Just like Frazetta's brilliant Famous Funnies covers.  Classic covers, nothing of note inside, putting it mildly.

I do agree that the Steve Epting Captain America cover is classic.

I am glad to see you guys posting some nice covers. :applause:

So hear is where my debate actually begins.

While I love all of the covers you guys picked most I would have to say do not make the cut as modern classic covers.

For example I think Batman 608 Regular, 2nd print, and RRP and Superman #204 are amazing Jim Lee covers, but are not classic. Nothing groundbreaking really happened in those issues to make the cover now feel like a classic cover. (shrug)

Right now can only think of these issues as now classic covers because not only is the cover amazing, but the story also had ground breaking events to take place.

Walking Dead #1- Introduction easily the most important characters since 2000

Walking Dead #19- Intro to Michonne-maybe best woman character in decades

Ultimate Spider-man #1- 1st marvel's ultimate title

ASM #36- 911 issue

Superman #75- First time an A list Superhero dies, all the news exposure worldwide

Harbinger #1- Most important Valiant book of all time.

I also have now come to the conclusion for me if someone asks me when did the modern age begin I will have this answer. Pre-Unity Valiant

That's a terrible standard. A classic cover is something that, when the basic outline is used again, you say "hey, that's X # Y".

That doesn't really have anything to do with what's inside.

I disagree. Absolutely what happens in the inside makes the cover classic.

Look back at all the covers from 1938-1975. Ground breaking stuff happened on the inside as well as the outside of the book.

I am sorry, but most of the covers you have submitted while nice are nothing really special about them. (shrug)

What happened in Creepy #15? Crime SuspenStories #22? Wonder Woman #199? Many classic covers have no interior significance whatsoever to the common collector.

While I love all of the covers you guys picked most I would have to say do not make the cut as modern classic covers.

For example I think Batman 608 Regular, 2nd print, and RRP and Superman #204 are amazing Jim Lee covers, but are not classic. Nothing groundbreaking really happened in those issues to make the cover now feel like a classic cover. (shrug)

Right now can only think of these issues as now classic covers because not only is the cover amazing, but the story also had ground breaking events to take place.

ASM #36- 911 issue

Superman #75- First time an A list Superhero dies, all the news exposure worldwide

I also have now come to the conclusion for me if someone asks me when did the modern age begin I will have this answer. Pre-Unity Valiant

That's a terrible standard. A classic cover is something that, when the basic outline is used again, you say "hey, that's X # Y".

Look back at all the covers from 1938-1975. Ground breaking stuff happened on the inside as well as the outside of the book.

I am sorry, but most of the covers you have submitted while nice are nothing really special about them. (shrug)

What happened in Creepy #15? Crime SuspenStories #22? Wonder Woman #199? Many classic covers have no interior significance whatsoever to the common collector.

Suspense #22 has significant importance making it a classic cover.

ASM #36- 911 issue

Exactly. The cover itself is the significance.

For example I want to say this book is a classic cover so bad. lol

Even though I feel it is one of the most valuable comics of the modern era it is an awesome cover but a boring story line with no significance.

Definitely one of the best error comics of all time, but not classic IMO.

You know I not being biased here because below is my favorite modern age book of all time.

027-1.jpg

My point does anyone here feel AF #15 is a classic cover because of the just the cover alone or because it is an amazing cover in conjunction with the 1st appearance of Spider-man.

ASM #36- 911 issue

Exactly. The cover itself is the significance.

No because it is the cover mixed with what happened inside. (shrug)

Head goes bye bye significance with pushing the proverbial envelope on comic book content

Wonder Woman #199 not a classic cover just a good cover.

That's why I suggested changing the title to issues because people will be be confused and post classic covers.

See I still disagree. :sorry:

Classic covers are made because not only is the cover amazing, but has to be backed up by a significant story-line, event, or 1st appearance.

I think you're looking at it from the wrong direction. If an issue inside becomes a key story/issue for whatever reason, then often that accompanying cover will often later adopt a higher recognisability and sentimentality from collectors (ie. WD 1 and 19). But there are still covers that can become classic on their own, regardless of the interiors (ie. Batman 227).

That's why I suggested changing the title to issues because people will be be confused and post classic covers.

Classic covers are made because not only is the cover amazing, but has to be backed up by a significant story-line, event, or 1st appearance.

So then this isn't a classic cover

Detective_Comics_35.jpg

ASM #36- 911 issue

trollolololol

I think you're looking at it from the wrong direction. If an issue inside becomes a key story/issue for whatever reason, then often that accompanying cover will often later adopt a higher recognisability and sentimentality from collectors (ie. WD 1 and 19). But there are still covers that can become classic on their own, regardless of the interiors (ie. Batman 227).

That is actually what I have been saying. (shrug)

Amazing covers become classic covers over time if the importance of the book is realized over.

Batman #227 is a classic cover I agree.

My point is books like Batman 608, Superman #204, and every J. Scott Campbell variant covers are great covers what I can't think of a single reason that makes them a classic cover. (shrug)

The big 3 from Vertigo:

Sandman 1 (and possibly 8)

Preacher 1

YtLM 1

I knew some one was going to say these the, however I feel while these are key books for the modern age they would be IMO in the honorable mention category.

Sandman for me is still in the copper age.

Preacher #1 while a good cover doesn't have that classic cover feel to me because the character currently is not a classic character. (shrug)

Y The Last Man #1 has a shot at this, but the series was too short. Maybe if the character got a TV show or Trilogy could this be possible later down the road.

The definition of classic cover I think has to embrace not only a good looking cover, but also incorporate relevance, importance, mainstream notoriety to name a few.

Sandman is modern in every way except possibly publication date (and that's debatable). In fact, I think you could make an argument for it being the start of the modern age.

Comics are in a new age where a series can certainly be 'classic' without being infinitely ongoing. All 3 of these books are absolutely modern classics, with or without TV series, spin-off books, movies, lunchboxes, mcfarlane figures or any of the other junk that would force them into the 'mainstream'.

So then this isn't a classic cover

Detective_Comics_35.jpg

Dude you debating books back at me that are classic covers backed up with important story-lines. :eyeroll:

Nicely as I can say this. ???

What makes these covers classic that you posted?

98658-2127-106921-1-amazing-spider-man_super.jpg

50087-3519-65543-1-web-of-spider-man_super.jpg

That is actually what I have been saying. (shrug)

Amazing covers become classic covers over time if the importance of the book is realized over.

Batman #227 is a classic cover I agree.

My point is books like Batman 608, Superman #204, and every J. Scott Campbell variant covers are great covers what I can't think of a single reason that makes them a classic cover. (shrug)

Sorry, I guess what I'm trying to say is that interior significance is a subset of classic covers - a subset that sometimes leads to the cover becoming classic. It's probably the biggest subset even. But it's not a requirement.

Also, if ASM36 is a classic cover, shouldn't Solar 10 also be? :insane:

The big 3 from Vertigo:

Sandman 1 (and possibly 8)

Preacher 1

YtLM 1

I knew some one was going to say these the, however I feel while these are key books for the modern age they would be IMO in the honorable mention category.

Sandman for me is still in the copper age.

Preacher #1 while a good cover doesn't have that classic cover feel to me because the character currently is not a classic character. (shrug)

Y The Last Man #1 has a shot at this, but the series was too short. Maybe if the character got a TV show or Trilogy could this be possible later down the road.

The definition of classic cover I think has to embrace not only a good looking cover, but also incorporate relevance, importance, mainstream notoriety to name a few.

Sandman is modern in every way except possibly publication date (and that's debatable). In fact, I think you could make an argument for it being the start of the modern age.

Comics are in a new age where a series can certainly be 'classic' without being infinitely ongoing. All 3 of these books are absolutely modern classics, with or without TV series, spin-off books, movies, lunchboxes, mcfarlane figures or any of the other junk that would force them into the 'mainstream'.

I am not saying your reasoning doesn't make sense, I get what you are saying.

However what makes any of these covers backed with the characters importance as classic though, especially Preacher?

Not arguing Sandman though because the book is from 1989 so the book is not a modern book. (shrug)