• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

are you covered if you pay via paypal perrsonal payment?

90 posts in this topic

i sold something on ebay. the buyer wants to save on shipping to sweden. i can cancel the auction (he's willing to accept the cancel on his side) and not get charged by ebay. he'll pay through paypal, but i'm wondering if he's covered on his side with personal payment (i can save him a few more dollars, plus get no fees on my side), otherwise he'll pay regularly through paypal.

Never ever under any circumstances use Paypal personal to pay for an item you purchase. Not only is it a misuse of the feature, but you lose all, and I mean all, avenues of recourse if a problem becomes evident with the transaction.

Paypal personal was developed for things such as if I were to borrow $20 from Joey at a convention. I have a Paypal balance, so instead of sending Joey a check, I send him $20 via Paypal personal.

Never ever under any circumstances use Paypal personal to pay for an item you purchase. Not only is it a misuse of the feature, but you lose all, and I mean all, avenues of recourse if a problem becomes evident with the transaction.

Paypal personal was developed for things such as if I were borrow $20 from Joey at a convention. I have a Paypal balance, so instead of sending Joey a check, I send him $20 via Paypal personal.

So even with transactions on here the seller should be sending me an invoice? I've purchased about 5 things on here and only one person has actually done an invoice payment.

No, they don't have to send you an invoice, but using Paypal personal or having some one request to be paid via Paypal personal is against the guidelines of the selling forum. You can not file a claim through Paypal if you paid using Paypal personal.

Paypal personal was developed for things such as if I were borrow $20 from Joey at a convention. I have a Paypal balance, so instead of sending Joey a check, I send him $20 via Paypal personal.

So even with transactions on here the seller should be sending me an invoice? I've purchased about 5 things on here and only one person has actually done an invoice payment.

Not necessarily

Rarely d i get invoices on here. people just give me their PP address and a total and i send them the money. regular PP though, not personal just in case RMA is watching (thumbs u

Not necessarily

Rarely d i get invoices on here. people just give me their PP address and a total and i send them the money. regular PP though, not personal just in case RMA is watching (thumbs u

Huh... the first person insisted I do personal and I had no idea so I just followed along. Good to know.

Not necessarily

Huh... the first person insisted I do personal and I had no idea so I just followed along. Good to know.

Yeah, thats not cool for a seller to insist on personal :gossip:

Not necessarily

Payment options restriction added:

List acceptable forms of payment (NOTE: Personal PayPal is NOT allowed as a listed option in your post as it is not appropriate for item purchases.)

No, they don't have to send you an invoice, but using Paypal personal or having some one request to be paid via Paypal personal is against the guidelines of the selling forum. You can not file a claim through Paypal if you paid using Paypal personal.

Not much enforced, I think ....

How would this be enforced though? I'm also surprised that the next three sellers I purchased from didn't say a word about it. Some of them are selling stuff constantly too.

The sales threads aren't policed by the moderators. The moderators would have to be notified. If some one insists on being paid via Payapl personal, then they are basically stripping you of any hope of a refund if the deal goes south. It would be upon their honor their to refund you if the need were to arise. I don't know about you, but I can count one hand the people with which I would be willing to accept that level of risk.

The sales threads aren't policed by the moderators. The moderators would have to be notified. If some one insists on being paid via Payapl personal, then they are basically stripping you of any hope of a refund if the deal goes south. It would be upon their honor their to refund you if the need were to arise. I don't know about you, but I can count one hand the people with which I would be willing to accept that level of risk.

Yeah, I agree. People are called out for other violations of the guidelines but rarely for this one.

How would this be enforced though? I'm also surprised that the next three sellers I purchased from didn't say a word about it. Some of them are selling stuff constantly too.

As long as i know and trust the seller, i always send personal. People send me personal payments quite often and it is much appreciated but no one should ever insist on it.

Quite frankly, if you've bought a book in a sales thread and the seller has then insisted on Paypal personal, you should tell him to shove his book up his arse then post to his thread details of his conduct.

Like it's not enough that people already get a fee-free environment to pimp their sh!te, but they also want to strip you of any rights you might have to save themselves 3%?

Wankers.

Dr Watson is incorrect. The forum rules state you can't list paypal personal as a form of payment in the thread. It does not say you can't request it in private.

I only use it or ask for it when the sale involves charity or I'm giving an item away and asking only for the shipping cost.