• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

are you covered if you pay via paypal perrsonal payment?

90 posts in this topic

No, they don't have to send you an invoice, but using Paypal personal or having some one request to be paid via Paypal personal is against the guidelines of the selling forum. You can not file a claim through Paypal if you paid using Paypal personal.

Not much enforced, I think ....

Dr Watson is incorrect. The forum rules state you can't list paypal personal as a form of payment in the thread. It does not say you can't request it in private.

I only use it or ask for it when the sale involves charity or I'm giving an item away and asking only for the shipping cost.

Shadroch is incorrect. The forum rules state that you can't list Paypal personal as it's inappropriate for the purchase of items...

'List acceptable forms of payment (NOTE: Personal PayPal is NOT allowed as a listed option in your post as it is not appropriate for item purchases.)'

Hey Hawkman you are fine as the SELLER to take a payment via PayPal gift or personal. The buyer though leaves themselves open to a world of hurt if the seller decides to screw them over. Now if you are the buyer never pay in this manner unless you trust or know the seller. Again though as the seller you are fine to take this payment method since you have no worries about a chargeback, claim against you for not received or not described, etc.

Quite frankly, if you've bought a book in a sales thread and the seller has then insisted on Paypal personal, you should tell him to shove his book up his arse then post to his thread details of his conduct.

Like it's not enough that people already get a fee-free environment to pimp their sh!te, but they also want to strip you of any rights you might have to save themselves 3%?

Wankers.

Why don't you tell us what you really think. :shy:

Quite frankly, if you've bought a book in a sales thread and the seller has then insisted on Paypal personal, you should tell him to shove his book up his arse then post to his thread details of his conduct.

Like it's not enough that people already get a fee-free environment to pimp their sh!te, but they also want to strip you of any rights you might have to save themselves 3%?

Wankers.

You should hear him after a dozen Coronas.

Wankers.

I still can't believe you Brits drink that krap when you have access to the 'good stuff.' :sick:

Wankers.

The voice of reason.... :cloud9:

just so everyone is clear, i am the seller. buyer wanted to save some money on shipping, and since he was willing to save me ebay fees by canceling the auction and paying through paypal, i wanted to see if we could also save on paypal fees, since the item i'm shipping to him sweden will cost $58 to ship (it's 9 pounds). i wouldn't rip him off, and figured personal paypal wouldn't cover him, but just in case it did, i'd offer that option.

Wankers.

The voice of reason.... :cloud9:

Oi, bollocks! :baiting:

Where the hell you been? (shrug)

It all boils down to a matter of trust. Is the person you're buying from trustworthy and honest? If so, 99% of the time you'll be ok.

I'll admit that I've sold things on here and been paid via Paypal Personal. I've also bought things via Paypal Personal as well. It truly boils down to who you're dealing with.

For example, I sent Filter81 a PP payment for over $3k. Would I advise this to anyone who's buying from a noob seller? Hell no, but for Adam, hell yes. For the big established guys, it's too risky to lose all credibility and reputation to cheat someone out of a few grand (or less usually).

Just do your homework. If you're the least bit concerned, either tell them to accept regular Paypal or pay the upcharge some sellers will add. It's cheap insurance.

dB

No, they don't have to send you an invoice, but using Paypal personal or having some one request to be paid via Paypal personal is against the guidelines of the selling forum. You can not file a claim through Paypal if you paid using Paypal personal.

Dr Watson is incorrect. The forum rules state you can't list paypal personal as a form of payment in the thread. It does not say you can't request it in private.

I only use it or ask for it when the sale involves charity or I'm giving an item away and asking only for the shipping cost.

Shadroch is incorrect. The forum rules state that you can't list Paypal personal as it's inappropriate for the purchase of items...

'List acceptable forms of payment (NOTE: Personal PayPal is NOT allowed as a listed option in your post as it is not appropriate for item purchases.)'

I don't believe I am incorrect. There is no forum rule against a seller asking, in private, to be paid by paypal personal. I wouldn't do it but it is not a violation of any forum rules. The rule states that Pay Pal Personal is not allowed as a LISTED option, not that it is against forum rules to request it in private.

if Arch or CGC wanted it to be a violation of board rules, they would state PAYPAL PERSONAL IS NOT ALLOWED FOR ANY PURCHASE.

All they say is you can't list it as an option, and you certainly can't insist on being paid by it, but I don't believe there is a rule against requesting it.

just so everyone is clear, i am the seller. buyer wanted to save some money on shipping, and since he was willing to save me ebay fees by canceling the auction and paying through paypal, i wanted to see if we could also save on paypal fees, since the item i'm shipping to him sweden will cost $58 to ship (it's 9 pounds). i wouldn't rip him off, and figured personal paypal wouldn't cover him, but just in case it did, i'd offer that option.

Multiple violations here across eBay and PayPal. Lots of risk from an account standpoint and transaction one. Not worth it.

Wankers.

I still can't believe you Brits drink that krap when you have access to the 'good stuff.' :sick:

+1, was thinking the same thing.

Since the sole motivation for using personal PayPal is to avoid the fees, I think this is OT. I see many sellers on the board (and I do it myself) offer multiple payment options allowing the buyer to pay by check or money order (fee free options) or to add 3% to pay through PayPal (assuming that personal PayPal isn't used). Since no one ever objects it would seem that there's nothing in the board rules against that and I can't find anything about it in the marketplace guidelines. It wouldn't seem to be any different from specifying the same buy price and not allowing PayPal payments altogether. Any thoughts?

Since the sole motivation for using personal PayPal is to avoid the fees, I think this is OT. I see many sellers on the board (and I do it myself) offer multiple payment options allowing the buyer to pay by check or money order (fee free options) or to add 3% to pay through PayPal (assuming that personal PayPal isn't used). Since no one ever objects it would seem that there's nothing in the board rules against that and I can't find anything about it in the marketplace guidelines. It wouldn't seem to be any different from specifying the same buy price and not allowing PayPal payments altogether. Any thoughts?

It's not against the rules to ask for the buyer to pay the 3% paypal fees, but it always strikes me as a tad uncouth, seeing that the boards are by far the cheapest place to sell, as there are absolutely no fees to be paid, no overhead and the majority of buyers are a lot more trustworthy (and will end up paying) compared to eBay.

There have been multiple threads on this subject, with people that tend to do more selling advocating to getting the buyers to pay the fee, and buyers, of course, claiming that it's part of the cost of doing business and the seller should take care of the paypal juice.

For me it's not always the amount that gets added, but the principal of things. It gives off an impression that the seller is trying to squeeze the lemon entirely and it's all about making the maximum profit possible. And it makes me wonder if the seller will skimp on packing supplies and what not as there is some extra profit to be made there as well.

One enlightened soul said he never asks for the paypal fees to be paid by the buyer, but gives a discount if the buyer uses a check or MO. Another smart seller suggested to just incorporate the paypal juice in your asking price. In the end you will get the same amount for your item as if you did ask for the paypal fee as well, but the buyer won't have such a bad taste in his mouth..as ignorance is bliss.

Hey Hawkman you are fine as the SELLER to take a payment via PayPal gift or personal. The buyer though leaves themselves open to a world of hurt if the seller decides to screw them over. Now if you are the buyer never pay in this manner unless you trust or know the seller. Again though as the seller you are fine to take this payment method since you have no worries about a chargeback, claim against you for not received or not described, etc.

You really are not fine as seller to take gift payment when you are selling goods. Paypal can intercept and mark your account. Not really worth all the trouble. Plus 3% isn't that big of a fee.

Since you guys are talking paypal..I have a question.

I was digging around in wallet for my ID and saw my bank card wrapped in a receipt. I thought it was odd since it was a receipt for printer ink from yesterday and I had just used my card last night at dinner. I unwrapped the receipt and found out for whatever reason I had been using my Paypal card without realizing it.

Anyway the bank account it was linked to is old and not good..and I ran up $100 in charges on the card with no money in my paypal.

I guess I have like a cushion amount on it? I can't believe the charges went through!

So do I just call them and straighten it out w/ my credit card or something?

I can't believe I used it several times without realizing it was a different card :(

Wankers.

+1, was thinking the same thing.

The Coronas are just a warm-up for the beers he'll down in the latter half of the binge.

Maybe it also acts as a charge card ? I had one of those cards years ago...and I think it was a debit card/mastercard...I rarely use anything except Amex, so I never used it.

I would think you'd have to contact them, so the store gets paid.

I don't believe I am incorrect. There is no forum rule against a seller asking, in private, to be paid by paypal personal. I wouldn't do it but it is not a violation of any forum rules. The rule states that Pay Pal Personal is not allowed as a LISTED option, not that it is against forum rules to request it in private.

if Arch or CGC wanted it to be a violation of board rules, they would state PAYPAL PERSONAL IS NOT ALLOWED FOR ANY PURCHASE.

All they say is you can't list it as an option, and you certainly can't insist on being paid by it, but I don't believe there is a rule against requesting it.

List acceptable forms of payment (NOTE: Personal PayPal is NOT allowed as a listed option in your post as it is not appropriate for item purchases.)