• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strange and Special Strange French Marvels

27 posts in this topic

Does anyone out there, maybe from our European contingent, know of any online price guides/resources for Strange and Special Strange (published in France)?

I have a Special Strange #6 from 1976 which reprints X-Men #94 and Special Strange #24 from 1981 which reprints GS X-Men #1 (both in approximately 7.0 to 7.5 condition) and was always curious if these were worth anything. I doubt the latter is, but I'm curious about the #6 as it was published not too long after the original came out in the U.S.

This info would just be for my own edification - GS 1 and X-Men #94 were the Holy Grails for me when I first started collecting (wasn't really into Spidey until later) and I'm not looking to part with these even if they are just foreign reprints. Besides, I haven't even gotten around to reading these versions yet!

Gene

The value of this book in NM is around $20.

French comics are actually wanted only by french collectors (and sometimes by canadians). The most wanted french comic book is the strange #1 (january 1970):

around 500-600$ in NM (cannot compare with an american comic book like Amazing Fantasy 15 !)

I have personnaly stop collect french comics to focus only on US silver age books.

The market is international.

Merci beaucoup pour les donnees!!

I still think the books are very cool despite their low value. The guy who did the cover art for Strange and Special Strange is quite good, whoever he is.

Gene

I have personnaly stop collect french comics to focus only on US silver age books.

The market is international.

What have you seen to indicate that the market for US Silver Age comics is international? I'm not disputing it; I just have almost no view of whether people collect US comics outside of the US. I've noticed a TON of Canadian collectors (no surprise since they're the wannabe 51st American state! shocked.gif ), a few British collectors, and a few Australian collectors. But besides those three countries, I haven't come in contact with international collectors besides yourself and Chromium from Belgium.

I especially wonder whether many Japanese people collect comics. They seem fairly infatuated with some segments of American culture and they've got a lot of money to spend, but I've never met a Japanese collector of US comics.

When i said that "The market is international", i only mean that there is more people worldwide that collect US silver age comics, than french people collecting french comics... but it's right too that there is less people in France that collect US silver age comics, than french collector collecting french comics...(i hope you'll understand my really bad english wink.gif

I have a price guide for french comics, so do not hesitate to ask me others informations.

David,

I'm also a fan of the "XIII" series by William Vance and Jean Van Hamme (I haven't read the whole series, but for those of you who don't know, it's an action comic that is similar to "The Bourne Identity"). Actually, is the original language for this series French? Or Flemish translated into French?

I don't have any of the first printings, but I'm wondering if you knew how much these were worth and if you ever see them coming up for sale?

Gene

There are not a lot of us out there... Brittain has some, as do most English-speaking countries, but mainland Europe has a HUGE home-grown industry and most people over here tend to read the European stuff.

omics are very popular in Belgium, The home-grown market is so big over here that US comics just don't sell. EVERY single supermarket sells at least 30 to 100 different titles and you have to crawl over the kids who are reading them on the floor. Mothers just dump their kids at the comic aisle and then continue to shop smile.gif

You can get (European) comics everywhere and I would say that 75% of kids between 5 and 15 read them...alas just not US comics.

US comic collectors are regarded as bottom feeders over here, everytime I go to a convention and ask the people selling older stuff if they have any Marvel or DC I get weird,dissaproving looks frown.gif

Even the translated stuff sells marginally...

The Dutch Spider-man monthly sells about 12.000 copies, where a new issue of a Belgian comic would easilly sell 200.000 copies...

I have never even met anyone else in person that collects Bronze and Silver age comics...I know a few people that buy new comics (T&A comics are still pretty popular here, as are the X-men...)

And for some reason the people that are into US pop culture tend to go more for the Disney stuff.... Carl Barks and Don Rosa attract quite a large following in Germany and the Scandinavian countries...

Man I'm so glad I have you guys on the board to talk comics with...yes even you Darth laugh.gif

Do you have conventions that do sell US comics though? Back when I was in Germany in the early 90s, there a number of local comic cons a year that had loads of US stuff. Now that I'm back, I can't seem to find any other than the occasional comic/card show at a US base. mad.gif

I have noticed a couple book stores with a healthy suppy of new DC and CrossGen translated comics for sale but none that sell english issues.

Jim

There is ONE (1!) convention a year which is called FACTS, it's a SCI-Fi, Manga, Toys show with less and less comic sellers each year...

FACTS Convention Homepage

Only about 10% of the show is now dedicated to US comics and this year there were about 5 dealers...4 of which had about 3.000 books (90% 90's dollar issues) and one french dealer that had lowgrade copies of Bronze and Silver age...

I spent 4 hours at the show and bought Iron Man #55 reprint for a buck and the Authority oversized Hardcover....that's it and I must have gone through at least 5000 comics if not more...

The Uk has some minor shows on a monthly basis and the big yearly one at Birmingham, France has Angloumeme which is mostly European comics, but with a lot of US creators dropping in as well....

No idea about Germany though..Jens might help you there or on the other hand he might go all weird again shocked.gif

>I'm also a fan of the "XIII" series by William Vance and Jean Van Hamme (I >haven't read the whole series, but for those of you who don't know, it's an action >comic that is similar to "The Bourne Identity"). Actually, is the original language >for this series French? Or Flemish translated into French?

I know this serie, but not enough to answer this question, sorry... Maybe chromium knows...

>I don't have any of the first printings, but I'm wondering if you knew how much >these were worth and if you ever see them coming up for sale?

Same as previous...

My price guide is only for translated marvel & dc comics...

Chromium knows smile.gif

It's an original Flemish book, but Van Hamme is one of the last truly bi-lingual Belgians so he also wrote the French translations himself. Series is pretty good, if you like the European comics scene..

No idea of value.... first printing of ANYTHING from the last 30 years are hardly worth more than 3X cover price... there are no 'key' books and everyting is reprinted over and over again...

European collectors gasp at the value of some of my comics, and even then it's only a few hundred dollars...

Man I'm so glad I have you guys on the board to talk comics with...yes even you Darth

WTF, Toblerone... tongue.gif Like your feedback comment? Books on the way...all 13 fit in the Global priority envelope; I had to fold and cut up two, but I made it work...no free CBG's this time...next package..

Europe has a HUGE home-grown industry...

and

The home-grown market is so big over here

Somehow, I was correct in my impressions that most Europeans' decisions were under the influence of some illegal narcotic... smirk.gif

you have to crawl over the kids who are reading them on the floor

Admit it, Chrome...you've trampled on your share of chubby little Belgian brats to get your rack copy of TinTin... grin.gif .

Mothers just dump their kids at the comic aisle and then continue to shop

Next time I'm in Belgium, I'll know where to tap a resource of healthy little white kids for sale on the black market here in the States. tongue.gif

US comic collectors are regarded as bottom feeders over here, everytime I go to a convention and ask the people selling older stuff if they have any Marvel or DC I get weird,dissaproving looks

You get those around here too! tongue.gif

WTF, Toblerone... Like your feedback comment? Books on the way...all 13 fit in the Global priority envelope; I had to fold and cut up two, but I made it work...no free CBG's this time...next package..

Yes, very funny feedback comment, you should see the one I have lined up for you...I'm of course waiting until I actually receive the books so that I ,at least, feel a little justified SLAMMING you into oblivion shocked.gif

I don't mind you doing a little cut-and-paste job on my books bro, (remember you owe it to yourself to use safety-scissors), as long as you remembered to put another one of those address stickers with a picture of your house on, my mailman could use a laugh cool.gif

Admit it, Chrome...you've trampled on your share of chubby little Belgian brats to get your rack copy of TinTin...

Belgian kids are of course, not chubby, but all slim tall and healthy, reason for this is the superior chocolate we feed them made with wholesome milk and the best cacao beans from darkest Afrika...But I understand how the word 'chubby' kinda slipped out Darth, you and that sorry-excuse-for-chocolate-Toblerone.... tongue.gif

Next time I'm in Belgium, I'll know where to tap a resource of healthy little white kids for sale on the black market here in the States.

I knew it... you Pilipinos all have South-sea pirates as ancestors and it's still in your blood....

yo-ho-ho and a bottle of Sarsi Sarsaparilla....