• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strange and Special Strange French Marvels

27 posts in this topic

What are the holy grails for French collectors (ie. the Action 1s, Det. 27s, ...)? Do French collectors tend to collect the same books as Belgians? How much are first editions of Tintin worth?

Let me answer the Belgian side....

60% of Belgium speaks Dutch and 40% speaks French, so the comic market is neatly cut in two...

I'm by no means an expert by I believe the comics aimes at kids is 90% Dutch-Belgian in origin, the more mature titles (young adults and up) come from the French side...

The Dutch books sell an obscene amount (compared to the very low population) in Flanders and in Holland,only about 1/3 get translated (mainly to French) and also sell in the French speaking countries.

The French books all get translated to Dutch and are popular all over Europe...

Tin-Tin is a French-Belgian book and is world-famous, but Suske en Wiske,Nero or Kiekeboe sell about 10X as much over here but are unknown in the rest of the world...

Most tin-tin first prints go for something between $1000 and $5000 for the original MINT editions from the 30's and 20's.

The most expensive is Tintin au pays des soviets, which fetches about $6000 in NM/M condition, a far cry from the outrageous prices being paid for an Action #1 or the likes...

The holy grails for the french collector of comics (super-heros style) are the comics called FANTASK #1 (1st FF, 1st Silver surfer) dated 1969, and STRANGE #1 (1st iron man, 1st DD, 1st X-men) dated 1970. As i previously said, a few collectors like me buy only original american comics... Concerning the price of the first print of tintin ("tintin in Congo"), it is around $6000-$7000...

I could go all lewd on you and suggest you change one letter in "chocolate buff" and it would illustrate your point even better, but I'm not Bugaboo so I won't go there.

Dang, people.......am I that bad? confused.gif

I keep finding quotes like this all over the boards. frown.giftongue.gif