• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Adventurers thread

332 posts in this topic

Here's the back cover:

adv1b.jpg

and my favorite cover of the whole series:

adv8.jpg

That's a nice looking 9.6. And the #8; does it have 9.8 potential? I ask because it's one of the ones I need for a complete 9.8 or better set. If it is, pm me if you'd sell. I like the regular cover for #1 best.

The #8 is 9.0 at best :(

:sorry: That one, and #4 have been tough for me. I think it won't be too difficult to make a 9.8 set, it's just that the really hard part is motivating people to dig them out of their old long boxes. I offer cash!! hm:headbang:

I'm in the club!

7809252282_90430f2d40_b.jpg

I have 9.8 copies of #1 and #2 that I'll be sending in shortly as well.

6664099797_5912db0d8f_z.jpg

Nice! The second print of #1 might be the toughest to get in a 9.8 because of the dark cover. I think I have one I might send in. I have an extra skeleton cover 9.8 I will probably sell for something like a hundred bucks to share the wealth. Not a bad price considering the print run.

E16EA83D-E2DD-42D8-95B5-1BEA3E6130CC-15444-00000B034DE177ED.jpg

I subbed a few of mine earlier this year. I had bought multiples of #1 and copies through issue #5 off the stands as many have said. I never picked up the variant skeleton cover. I subbed 3 copies of #1 and #3 (my personal favorite cover). This thread is making me want to sub some others.

0e1e1d32.jpg

f9026d8c.jpg

c62bfaec.jpg

a2cdb55e.jpg

If you'd like to part with that #3, I'd be interested. :whistle:

Edit: I just know there's a 10.0 of the first 2 issues out there. It's a challenge I'm trying to conquer. It would be cool to have some competition in this endeavor. :hi:

More than collecting this just looks like a great read, I'll have to look for some cheap reader copies!

It was my favorite book of the '80s. It has a Tolkien feel to it, but it really wouldn't if they dropped the dwarf. Regardless, they're cheap and it is a great read.

What you may not have realized back in the 80's when you were reading those ads is that Steve Milo, the owner of American Comics/Entertainment, was also the person who was behind the publishing of Adventurers. There's probably a good reason they were touting it as the hottest book out there. That was the subject of the Bad-Venturers mini-comic. Another local DC area comic dealer was making fun of the conflict of interest that it seemed to present.

I remember looking at the back of some of the Aircel books showing the ads for American comics, touting the Adventurers as the hottest book out there. They were supposedly selling them at $60 a piece.

What you may not have realized back in the 80's when you were reading those ads is that Steve Milo, the owner of American Comics/Entertainment, was also the person who was behind the publishing of Adventurers. There's probably a good reason they were touting it as the hottest book out there. That was the subject of the Bad-Venturers mini-comic. Another local DC area comic dealer was making fun of the conflict of interest that it seemed to present.

I remember looking at the back of some of the Aircel books showing the ads for American comics, touting the Adventurers as the hottest book out there. They were supposedly selling them at $60 a piece.

I do remember. It really was a shady thing to do, but the stories were so good, it still doesnt bother me. It's kind of like finding out Santa Claus doesn't exist. I'd like to keep the memory of dreaming of one day owning "the hottest book in the land" in tact. And, It's a good thing he's not printing them anymore! The dead giveaway for me, (and I even wondered as a 14 year old) why they never put the hottest book out there on their wanted list? Surely, at 60 a piece, they would buy SOME of them for stock. Regardless.........

C081C4B3-C3C5-4B5B-81CB-3B5D3C70F608-94-0000000152854456.jpg

:cloud9:

In fairness it was noted on the indicia in some way. I didn't know either when I first saw the ad but when I first read the books I put 2 + 2 together, even then

I wish :(

No I don't think (?) we was related to Aircel but instead Adventure Publications (?) whatever the company that took the title over after Aircel's name came off (as of #3 I think?). Can't really recall anymore, its been 20 years! Clues are there in the indicias though :)

I wish :(

No I don't think (?) we was related to Aircel but instead Adventure Publications (?) whatever the company that took the title over after Aircel's name came off (as of #3 I think?). Can't really recall anymore, its been 20 years! Clues are there in the indicias though :)

Hmm. If he wasn't involved with Aircel, I figured there wouldn't be much of a conflict of interest, until it dawned on me that hyping the first 2 issues (Aircel) would boost the sales of #3 and on. So, he wasn't printing off copies of #1 skeleton cover and shilling them at $60 a piece? Is that Illegal, because of the cover price being $1.50? I just had this bad image of this guy printing the 1st issue by the truckload. :eyeroll:

Anyone know why Aircel dropped the title?