• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

August Clink!

83 posts in this topic

If I didn't think I was going to need both nuts, I would love to have this page. :luhv:

RAD614DE2012718_13569.jpg

I got Art Adams to make a Grogg for me! Grogg is now my favorite monster. :) Click on the image to see art inking the piece.

G.jpg

Conan 71: 6.5K - Here is where I started to scratch my head at 6.5K for a GK/EC Conan cover. Its not excessive but I wouldn't call that well bought either.

Well, Conan #38 sold for $6,601 in the last sale, and Conan #73 sold for $9,600 in the sale before that... (shrug)

Conan 2 p.9: 7.1K - Well if you want an early BWS Conan example you have to save up, if you are me that is and I have a hard time paying 7K for a non-cover still.

Very strange. This page was offered for sale on CAF a few months ago, and the asking price was $9K or $9.5K. I offered the seller $8K for it and he responded that he already had a buyer at $10K for it (guess there was a competitive bidding situation). Somebody either lost or left money on the table here.

Oh and I thought the X-Men title splash of Colossus was a decent deal at 7K, its still a Byrne X-Men title splash after all.

It actually sold for $8,400. In any case, it was offered for sale earlier this year for $15K, and some thought it was underpriced even at that level! I'm also surprised that the #141 end page got no love at $15K. I guess all the love now is for 1960s Marvel large art by the biggest names (Kirby, Ditko, Romita), which are seeing some truly eye-popping prices. Most other pages seem to be selling for within 20-25% of consensus fair value, up or down. It's becoming a very bifurcated market, where somebody can shell out $100K for what had been described before the auction by some as a B+ Ditko ASM page, while probably a quarter of the lots went Reserve Not Met. Seems like a healthy market to me! :eyeroll:

Hey Gene :hi: Ya I think Allen bought the 73 cover, but that one is superior to the 71 IMO. If the 38 sold for 6.8 then this sale seems about right, I just didn't care for the image as much. My mind set was I can nab a decent JB post 100 Conan for that money.

Yep that's it, weird I had it at a 9.6. So unless there is a third Gaines copy, one of the 9.4s got the press treatment and resubbed? If that's the case someone just 'wholesale'd" Metro to the tune of 15K for a $40 Press and sub.
My recollection of the slab was that it was a 9.4 but I don't have any notes and it might have been a 9.6.

A commentor in the GA Forum indicated that the book was not pressed. That's one book that you would have to be very careful in pressing as it could easily go south on you.

DD 47: 18K - Not the most striking Gene Colan DD Cover, but still that seems about right, maybe a tad high, I'll leave it to those that own Colan 12 cent Marvel Regular size cover art to weigh in.

I read Daredevil #47 "Brother, Take My Hand!" for the first time when I got a copy of Son of Origins when I was about 7 years old. I really loved that story when I was a kid, DD wasn't fighting any super villain but it really stuck with me thru the years.

It is one of my favorite stories, been looking for the interiors but none have ever surfaced so I am thrilled to own the cover.

This is very fortuitous as Stan 'the man" Lee will be at my LCS in October so I will get him to sign it before it gets framed and will be hung in my den.

DD 47: 18K - Not the most striking Gene Colan DD Cover, but still that seems about right, maybe a tad high, I'll leave it to those that own Colan 12 cent Marvel Regular size cover art to weigh in.

I read Daredevil #47 "Brother, Take My Hand!" for the first time when I got a copy of Son of Origins when I was about 7 years old. I really loved that story when I was a kid, DD wasn't fighting any super villain but it really stuck with me thru the years.

It is one of my favorite stories, been looking for the interiors but none have ever surfaced so I am thrilled to own the cover.

This is very fortuitous as Stan 'the man" Lee will be at my LCS in October so I will get him to sign it before it gets framed and will be hung in my den.

Excellent cover, Brian, congrats! (thumbs u

Remember the story very well - definitely a high point.

It is your piece but could you give some consideration not to have Stan sign the piece anywhere but in the margin. And please dont have him personalize it to you. Stan has a habit of signing in the worst spots and personalizing in the worst ways. Please be specific to him where and how he should sign. And consider asking him to be as discreet as possible.

It is your piece but could you give some consideration not to have Stan sign the piece anywhere but in the margin. And please dont have him personalize it to you. Stan has a habit of signing in the worst spots and personalizing in the worst ways. Please be specific to him where and how he should sign. And consider asking him to be as discreet as possible.

Well, I guess we know who the underbidder is.... hm

I thought 10k reserve for the Orlando Watchmen / Black Freighter page was a bit crazy.....

But I also see that Clink does incentivise people to put stuff up at auction with a high reserve, because if it's not met it just goes right to the market place, no cost to the seller. Worst case you pass your crazy reserve and get more than you expected for your art...

If it doesn't it goes there, for you to start taking offers from your top #.

I thought 10k reserve for the Orlando Watchmen / Black Freighter page was a bit crazy.....

But I also see that Clink does incentivise people to put stuff up at auction with a high reserve, because if it's not met it just goes right to the market place, no cost to the seller. Worst case you pass your crazy reserve and get more than you expected for your art...

If it doesn't it goes there, for you to start taking offers from your top #.

Exactly..... I wasn't looking closely but even then I saw a couple other pieces where the reserve was a bit off the rocker.

Clink more than most sites has sellers just looking for the homerun and not really "that" interesting in selling (unless its a homerun..)

New Teen Titans 1 p.9: 5.6K - Well this one will have the Perez guys talking, I haven't spoken to Michael L yet so I'm unsure if that was him or maybe Allen (he's been busy lately so it wouldn't surprise me). I know it's a page from Issue 1 but that is A LOT OF CHEETOS for a Perez Panel. I bowed out at 3.5K and we even scratching my head at bidding that. Congrats to the new owner.

Heritage sold the New Teen Titans #1 Page #8, featuring the origin of Wonder Girl, last year for about $3,000.

I also thought this was worth about $3,500 or so, it being a nice team page, but sort of like X-Men #94 (1st issue in the New X-Men series) to the Giant Sized X-Men #1; I think for the New Teen Titans, artwork from DC Comics Presents #26 would be the pinnacle collectible in some ways, as a true "1st Appearance" - - but then again, I think NTT #1 is awesome 'cuz it does feature the tandem of Perez with Romeo Tanghal (so to me, it's the 80's DC counterpart to Marvel's Byrne/Austin on the X-Men).

Maybe the fact that Byrne art is priced so high in the market for the 80's X-Men with pages averaging $10k+, collectors are seeking out comparable if not better values of similar quality and nostalgia of that era through DC's counterpart in The New Teen Titans with artwork by the undervalued (in my opinion), George Perez.

In one breath it's nice to see Perez's hobby respect taken up a notch in the valuation, in another breath, I really should be looking into some of these pieces before they skyrocket. It could be like how Romita and Kane art from The Amazing Spider-Man was often ignored to the shadows of Steve Ditko's original art, but eventually found their values escalating in the marketplace.

Ya not a bid fan of their website. My first time winning on clink and I wasn't exactly sure how to go about paying. It took a bit and I figured it out, HA is soo much easier.

I think most of us will agree the CLink website is long overdue for an overhaul.

Does anyone else get annoyed when bidding on a book in their ComicBookExchange

section(not the auction section)? The site makes you complete an order form in advance for a simple bid. Why ?

Yeah, for some reason, the C-Link auction format seems antiquated and like a damp dingy cyber basement of sort. It can use an overhaul in almost every aspect of how it exists.

Well I used to own the Ms. Marvel #18 cover in the unrestored state and I see that with a little cleaning and a masthead added I could have almost doubled what I sold it for on CLINK's auction a year and a half ago :(

New Teen Titans 1 p.9: 5.6K - Well this one will have the Perez guys talking, I haven't spoken to Michael L yet so I'm unsure if that was him or maybe Allen (he's been busy lately so it wouldn't surprise me). I know it's a page from Issue 1 but that is A LOT OF CHEETOS for a Perez Panel. I bowed out at 3.5K and we even scratching my head at bidding that. Congrats to the new owner.

Heritage sold the New Teen Titans #1 Page #8, featuring the origin of Wonder Girl, last year for about $3,000.

I also thought this was worth about $3,500 or so, it being a nice team page, but sort of like X-Men #94 (1st issue in the New X-Men series) to the Giant Sized X-Men #1; I think for the New Teen Titans, artwork from DC Comics Presents #26 would be the pinnacle collectible in some ways, as a true "1st Appearance" - - but then again, I think NTT #1 is awesome 'cuz it does feature the tandem of Perez with Romeo Tanghal (so to me, it's the 80's DC counterpart to Marvel's Byrne/Austin on the X-Men).

Maybe the fact that Byrne art is priced so high in the market for the 80's X-Men with pages averaging $10k+, collectors are seeking out comparable if not better values of similar quality and nostalgia of that era through DC's counterpart in The New Teen Titans with artwork by the undervalued (in my opinion), George Perez.

In one breath it's nice to see Perez's hobby respect taken up a notch in the valuation, in another breath, I really should be looking into some of these pieces before they skyrocket. It could be like how Romita and Kane art from The Amazing Spider-Man was often ignored to the shadows of Steve Ditko's original art, but eventually found their values escalating in the marketplace.

Well my favorite artistic topic of conversation so I will dive right in. IMO though I know this is shared by a few of the Perez faithful, there are nuances to Perez's work in an inverse fashion. What I mean by that is the early stuff has the nostalgia, BUT it is inked by Tanghal, and I think the Perez peak is the work around 1985 when he started to ink himself. I relate Perez to Buscema in that fashion as they were their own best inkers but their earlier art is often inked by others.

With respect to the NTT1 verses DCP 26, I might disagree on importance. With respect to the panels a lot of really important stuff goes down in NTT 1 and is was a hugely successful issue sales wise. Hard to test that thesis because to my knowledge not a lot, or any DCP 26 art has surface in the last 5 years, well I've never seen any of it anyway.

On the market, hard to say it seems to have legs in micro chasm. I mean I love the stuff, own the stuff and buy the stuff but I'm not ready to argue that NTT occupy the same historical comic space as Byrne X-men or ASM.

I will only have him sign it in the margin. When he signed my X-Men #8 page I had it in a mylar and only exposed the top margin for him to sign.

Thanks Brian !!! and congrats on YOUR piece. I was NOT a bidder on the page but I would love to own it as I was a big fan of the Son of Origins book and remember that story well. Once again - congrats, and VERY smart on ur part to manage the process whereby stan signs it. I have seen too many pieces of art marred because of carelessness or thoughtlessness or both.

yeah some of the stan sig series books I see these days....whew! The man is 90 so I cut him all the slack in the world but that doesn't change the fact that the comic doesn't look so hot with a huge metallic sig in a terrible spot. I'm sure seeing that on OA would only look worse :tonofbricks:

Good advice.

Looks like the Kirby monster splash didn't sell. I still love it :luhv:

told ya ;)

Reserve was just way too optimistic. Beautiful page but most monster splashes on heritage have gone 5-10k range. This is a nice one, but 30k? wasn't going to happen