• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what does date stamp mean on a book

23 posts in this topic

I think it may refer to when the store puts there little ink stamp on the book with a date, but I just want to make sure. Also how much does this affect the actual grading or price of a book. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

E -

You are correct about the what.

It really is a personal preference thing, except for ultra-high grade copies. Most people (OS and CGC, as well) do not downgrade for date stamps at 9.6 and below.

That being said, date stamps shouldn't really affect the 'value' of a book. Some collectors (like rickdogg) despise date stamps. Others do not. They don't really bother me. Some people feel that books with date stamps have a sort of "history".

Although, I think we'd all agree that, given two identical books, one with a date stamp and one without, we'd all take the one without. (No comments about Pedigreed books, please. We know we'd take the pedigree). Hope that helps. smile.gif

Chris

The date stamp also showed the owner's when to rotate their racks. So when a comic had been sitting there for a while, it was either priced lower or moved to the back, or I think even sent back to the distributor for a credit.

Brian

Had a dealer that told me a date stamp automatically made a book a VG. I didn't understand it then and I don't understand it now. Now I know this is only something he says when he's buying collections from people who don't know any better.

"Had a dealer that told me a date stamp automatically made a book a VG. I didn't understand it then and I don't understand it now. "

This statement is WRONG, a check through overstreet's grading guide will set you straight on this one.

Do not downgrade for a date/arrival stamp (either a stamp or handwritten).

As far as CGC go, a book can receive a grade as high as 9.8 with a date stamp.

But by no means are they the all-knowing authority of grading. If someone doesn't like date stamps, it's their desire how they grade it. Just like if I see a big miscut, I'm certainly not giving it a 9.4.

Brian

But by no means are they the all-knowing authority of grading.

Actually, I'd say Overstreet and CGC are indeed authorities on grading. All-knowing? In a way, but that term is more of a derogatory idiom than a qualifier of knowledge.

If someone doesn't like date stamps, it's their desire how they grade it. Just like if I see a big miscut, I'm certainly not giving it a 9.4.

This is, of course, anyone's perogative, as long as you explain your grading standards to the other party. For me, the real test is if a person uses the exact same standards when buying AND selling. If you downgrade for a date stampe when buying, and equally downgrade when selling (i.e. you are selling a CGC book with a 9.6 on it and you advertise it as a 9.2 because it has a date stamp) then this principle makes absolute sense.

Personally, I find it difficult sometimes to accept extremely minor flaws (things you have to use a magnifying glass to see) as having major significance. But I know that the grading guides count these, as does CGC, so I have to count them.

Date stamps don't bug me at all, but I note them in auctions because I know others care. In the end, what's really important is full disclosure. That way the buyer and seller can judge for themselves.

-- Joanna

I ran into a collection that was so huge, I was unable to buy all the comics. Lady was good enough to let me buy what I wanted. To help her out and to get a feel for what my wife may have to go through when its time to sell my collection, I invited a dealer I knew to take a look at the collection. I learned a lot and a lot of it wasn't pretty. Yeah, he lied to get better prices on some of the comics. I sat back, watched and learned a lot about what to look out for. At this point, because of what happened, my wife is a pretty good grader from anything from a fine to a near mint.

I have a strong suspicion that it's a VG only when he's buying it. Not when he's selling. Can't say for sure, because I've never bought a back issue from this guy. Otherwise, your statement would make sense.

I would prefer a comic to not have the dates stamp, but I don't really mind if it's not too big or in a bad location. A date stamp on the back cover doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I have some great comics I bought as a kid that have grease pen dates on them. I know what store I got them from, and I can even remember riding my bike to pick up some of the copies.

Oh but to be a kid again...