• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions on Avengers #71....?

14 posts in this topic

I have always liked the idea behind the Invaders. I also really like how they were presented in Avengers #71. The cover can be considered somewhat classic and it does feature their first appearance; according to Overstreet and CGC; at the very least.

That being said, and I have to ask, why is this book so darn cheap? I bought my book in 9.4 with solid white pages for $160 at a Comic Link auction. The book presents well and I was happy to buy it.

I could also sell it for more right now. I like to buy my books under-value.

As far as late era 'silver age' books go I always thought this would eventually gradually increase in demand (even value to a certain degree). What has kept this book from becomong a break out 'key' besides the fact the Invaders are not as popular as some of the other super-hero teams (i.e. Avengers, Defenders, Fantastic Four)?

Just curious as to what others think of this often missed and forgotten semi-key book?

Kind Regards,

'mint'

as I am putting together my 1-100 run of Avengers, I have noticed a few awesome covers and this one stood out. and yes, I was blown away at the price... I bought a beat up copy and they practically were giving them away at my LCS...

it's one of my favorites so far in the run. when i figure out why it's being held down, I'll share. ha.

I love this book. Have a 9.2 sig series Sal Buscema. Tried to get it Roy Thomas signed, but CGC missed him and offered me Sal as consolation. Very happy with this issue.

I agree. I own it in 9.8 and also have a Sig Series in 9.6 (signed by Lee, Thomas and Buscema). As I see them come up for sale, I wonder the same thing. To me, the story epitomizes what Roy Thomas did as a writer, what he did for Marvel, and how much he was influenced by the early Timelys. It's very well written, and a fun read. I love it! I'll bid on them from time to time. Very under-rated (of course, I think Avengers 9 is also under-rated). Nearly all the late SA Avengers are cheap right now in comparison to the other titles, and I'll stock up on 71's as they come long. The issue actually got me interested in the Timely All Winners (and now I own 19 and 21). Good subject, glad you brought it up! (thumbs u

This is a great issue, great cover and great story both. It's one of my favorites.

But is it really the first appearance of the Invaders? I know it's been listed like that in Overstreet for decades, but I don't remember any of the characters in the comic calling themselves the Invaders. And it came out six full years before Giant-Size Invaders #1. I haven't read all the Invaders stuff from their own series, but this has always seemed to me like calling Uncanny X-Men #201 the first appearance of Cable -- it's a retcon more than a real first appearance.

I might be wrong, of course, so please educate me if that's the case. But I think that reason, along with the fact that there's not all the much interest in Invaders that I know of, is probably why this book doesn't command more interest.

But it's a great issue!

Just curious as to what others think of this often missed and forgotten semi-key book?

It's a forgotten semi-key because no one really cares a fig about the Invaders. Let them ink a movie deal and then it cease to be forgotten.

Shhh...don't mention the price till I get my hands on a CGC'd copy. lol I love this cover and its been on my list for a bit. I'd like a nice 9.2/.9.4 OW+ I agree, its definitely under the radar.

The cheaper the books, the better. :sumo:

It's a forgotten semi-key because no one really cares a fig about the Invaders. Let them ink a movie deal and then it cease to be forgotten.

So we now have to have a movie licensing deal for a book to gain momentum? What happened before all the comic book movies started appearing?

This is not the only indicator of the market. If that was Tomb of Dracula #1 would be near worthless; as would most other horror comics.

I don't disagree that movies and speculation play a major role (just look at IM #55 and even other issues gaining momentum). Heck, even Avengers #1 owes a lot of its value now to the fct that the movie generated even more demand for this once undervalued and underappreciated 'silver' age key. It almost makes me wish a Defenders movie was in the works.

So we now have to have a movie licensing deal for a book to gain momentum? What happened before all the comic book movies started appearing?

This is not the only indicator of the market. If that was Tomb of Dracula #1 would be near worthless; as would most other horror comics.

Of course it's not the only indicator. The Invaders however, despite its own 41 issue series in the 70's, has never really gained any traction with collectors thus it is not a major key. Even Marvel has not pushed the concept very hard.

Shhh...don't mention the price till I get my hands on a CGC'd copy. lol I love this cover and its been on my list for a bit. I'd like a nice 9.2/.9.4 OW+ I agree, its definitely under the radar.

This book rocks,the Invaders series is a great under the radar book too.

Invaders-1.jpg

Of course it's not the only indicator. The Invaders however, despite its own 41 issue series in the 70's, has never really gained any traction with collectors thus it is not a major key. Even Marvel has not pushed the concept very hard.

Fair enough. It could be worse, as it could be the first appearance of the 'Champions.' Ironically, I actually liked that book.

Still, I do think Avengers #71 is undervalued. Heck, I sniped that and Tales of Suspense #64 in a recent Comic Link auction.

I paid $160 for the Avengers #71 in CGC 9.4

and...$480 for the Tales of Suspense #64 in CGC 9.4

Word to the wise. Look for C-Link auctions that have books with potential surrounded by 'keys' and ultra 'hot' books. Everyone goes after the incredibly popular books and does not have time to bid on the lesser known keys. They in turn, end up selling for below market value. I have gotten so many great deals off of C-Link it is incredible!

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Avengers 71 is one of the few later Avengers issues that "usually" goes for good prices. 71 and the Kree-Skrull war issues are about the only ones that wont go for gpa all time lows fairly often.

That said, i really dont see it having a ton of potential. it already goes for a decent premium over the surrounding issues and the Invaders have had 40 years to be popular or hot and it hasnt happened. I dont see it happening anytime soon for them either (shrug)

*checks to make sure I have one... yup*

That run of Avengers is solid, and I'm not just talking the quality of the story. I'm too lazy to check the census, but from anectodal experience, lots of copies from that era show up in grade. The thicker paper stock made them nice and stiff. That, combined with "nice, but what I really want is a 57..." keeps the price nice and manageable.

I don't know if it played a factor in their popularity, but I hated the chunky Frank Robbins art on the regular series, kinda like a bad blend of Frank Miller and Fred Hembeck! Needless to say, I never got into it.

I could also sell it for more right now. I like to buy my books under-value.

That kinda caught my eye. I don't know about you guys, but I love my books overpriced... the higher the better! ;)