• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blama Canada! *edit BLAME

102 posts in this topic

There seems to be heated debate about sellers shipping or not shipping to Canada.

Do you sellers shut the doors to our friends up north? Why? Risks? Shipping costs?

Do US sellers really lose that much of an audience by closing the ports?

And go!

I just sell here. If I didn't ship to Canada, I'd lose 60% or more of my business. Shipping is still reasonable from USA to Canada in the majority of cases.

When I buy from Canada, shipping is always on my mind, as it doesn't seem like you can box ship a single book for under $10, whereas going the other way, it's about $4. I've noticed that many Canadians will offer shipment for a flat rate on all the books you buy, hoping to make gains on the sales that way - I see guys like War Andy eating $20-25 on some shipments, but hopefully, he's making some up in the volume.

There seems to be heated debate about sellers shipping or not shipping to Canada.

Do you sellers shut the doors to our friends up north? Why? Risks? Shipping costs?

And go!

My biggest complaint is that I have to factor in an extra 20-30 minutes or my personal time to sit in line with all the mouth-breathers at the post office to send a package out of the country. With US shipping, postman picks it up and it's gone. Plus, it's triple or quadruple the cost just to get any sort of tracking or insurance coverage for the package, and then you are at the mercy of someone elses' postal system to deliver it undamaged.

Not to mention that I should get my own surcharge for having to deal with standing behind Hillybilly Jim and his halfwit kids while he orders up money orders and pays in pennies.

Sometimes I sell to out-of-country Boardies - just depends on my mood and what I'm selling. Usually low-dollar stuff is fine.

And go!

My biggest complaint is that I have to factor in an extra 20-30 minutes or my personal time to sit in line with all the mouth-breathers at the post office to send a package out of the country. With US shipping, postman picks it up and it's gone. Plus, it's triple or quadruple the cost just to get any sort of tracking or insurance coverage for the package, and then you are at the mercy of someone elses' postal system to deliver it undamaged.

Not to mention that I should get my own surcharge for having to deal with standing behind Hillybilly Jim and his halfwit kids while he orders up money orders and pays in pennies.

Sometimes I sell to out-of-country Boardies - just depends on my mood and what I'm selling. Usually low-dollar stuff is fine.

You can do it all through USPS.com or Paypal. Not sure if you can do first class through Paypal - seems I always end up taking them in, however, no lines at my P.O. if I go at the right time of the day.

You can do it all through USPS.com or Paypal. Not sure if you can do first class through Paypal - seems I always end up taking them in, however, no lines at my P.O. if I go at the right time of the day.

Yep, that's how I ship. However, attempting to do that online and ship to Canada about 8 months ago caused my package to be returned because of an issue with the online form. Huge pain in the @ss, and I had to harass the postal service about postage, and ultimately never got my money back, and then had to stand in line and cough up more postage to send the package.

So, yeah - depending on where you are at, it's easier and harder to utilize USPS. And no, international is Priority or Express only when you do it online. I still check, but I'm not confident enough in the system to run the risk of another $20 postage sale on a $18 book that I may get stuck with an additional $20 in shipping over.

Dosnt this describe almost all Americans ?

Snip --My biggest complaint is that I have to factor in an extra 20-30 minutes or my personal time to sit in line with all the mouth-breathers at the post office to send a package out of the country. .

:)

Snip --My biggest complaint is that I have to factor in an extra 20-30 minutes or my personal time to sit in line with all the mouth-breathers at the post office to send a package out of the country. .

lol

Which part? Being an impatient judgmental consumer, or being a clueless idlot parent?

And go!

Unfortunately, you can't do first class through usps or paypal...that's what is a pain.

My post office is a place I have to drive to and find parking...and there are always lines, if it's quiet, they take the line workers and hide them...so I usually just offer priority (so I can print it) or for cheap stuff I use stamps.

The other problem is, you can only mail up to 4 lbs first class. It used to be a lot easier/cheaper...you could send M-Bags, Surface mail...Made it much more reasonable

If we're willing to PAY for the shipping (and associated duty), I don't see why it should be an issue at all.

I really dislike when I see a book I want on ebay and it says "Do not ship outside U.S."

yeah its a major turn off for me as well. My money is as good as anybody's.

I don't get much stuff shipped first class so maybe I notice it less (?) as I haven't actually had it be too much of a problem lately.

Still, there's always that one good auction that will pop up where the seller doesn't want to ship here :frustrated: I sometimes end up shipping to one of my southern friends to take delivery for me, which is OK. Another hoop to jump thru, but if you want the book enough..

If we're willing to PAY for the shipping (and associated duty), I don't see why it should be an issue at all.

I really dislike when I see a book I want on ebay and it says "Do not ship outside U.S."

:golfclap:

It's not that I don't see your point...but I wish you would all petition eBay to print first class Canadian postage. They print US first class postage, US Media...

None of that stuff is available on USPS.

Why not Canadian first class postage.?

I will ship to anyone here, but on eBay I wait for someone to ask me because there are some not normal people, who expect it to be the same price as here ...and yes, we have not normal Canadians as well as not normal US people;) If I use first class that is not printed through eBay, there is really no proof with first class postage and or, I have to make a separate trip...we can do pick up with US mail

If they would just add first class International to their printing list, I bet you would have a lot more sellers willing to sell to you. It's good for up to 4lbs and would be much less expensive than priority.

So start a petition! and good luck:) :foryou:

There are certain parts of the world where I would hesitate to ship. The Phillipines being one. I had a package just disappear and then only show up months later with no explanation. However, Canada has never been a problem. I've sent dozens of comic and other packages up north with nary a problem.

Yes. It's just like saying all Canadians are batsh!t crazy.

:acclaim:

The problem with shipping to Canada (or anywhere outside the US) began when eBay and Paypal began taking part of the money paid for shipping in their selling and transaction fees.

This is part of it.

The PITA factor Balls described is another.

A third is the subset of buyers who chafe at the S+H after bidding and winning.

As a Canadian buyer, I can see where the complaints arise, but I do wish the 'only ship to US' crowd was smaller.

:) We are :)

And go!

Canadians are either scam artists who will use paypal loopholes to steal, or whiners who will complain about shipping times/costs. And most Americans can't afford the calorie deficit that would result from the effort of having to stand in line at a post office for 10 minutes, and can't take the time away from their busy message board posting schedules to research shipping costs ahead of time and declare them in their auctions, upfront. Additionally, comics are an American art form and should remain on their home soil.