• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blama Canada! *edit BLAME

102 posts in this topic

If you send a parcel to Canada using USPS with tracking (not delivery confirmation) and signature confirmation, you have the exact same safeguards as if you were shipping domestically.

I'm not trying to be sarcastic or bash, but I'm not sure how a box going from the US to Canada can get USPS signature confirmation. Someone tell me otherwise as I'd like to be able to have the option of getting Signature Confirmation from USPS when shipping from the US to Canada.

Link to USPS site. Look under "Ineligible Items"

http://faq.usps.com/eCustomer/iq/usps/request.do?create=kb:USPSFAQ&view%28%29=c[c_usps0317]&varset%28source%29=sourceType:embedded

Express Mail offers trackimg, insurance and signature reciept

Signature confirmation is not required on Express Mail International.

If you're paying for the add-on service, it is required.

If there is any dispute down the road, forward all correspondence to eBay. Insure everything to the nose and don't allow them to skimp on a shipping service without tracking and signature.

Unfortunately, It doesn't matter what is agreed upon, ebay won't change any negative feedback or low star DSRs received by disgruntled buyers.

eBay is full of flakes, so I'm not buying this problem with inflated sense of entitlement as one endemic to Canadian buyers.

Agree wholeheartedly. Just wouldn't want anyone to expect correspondence to offer any protection.

In all likelihood, the person who is going to find something to complain about even though the seller leveled with them prior to entering into the transaction won't get any sympathy for using "taking it to the boards" approach or using "feedback extortion" shenanigans.

If you send a parcel to Canada using USPS with tracking (not delivery confirmation) and signature confirmation, you have the exact same safeguards as if you were shipping domestically.

I'm not trying to be sarcastic or bash, but I'm not sure how a box going from the US to Canada can get USPS signature confirmation. Someone tell me otherwise as I'd like to be able to have the option of getting Signature Confirmation from USPS when shipping from the US to Canada.

http://faq.usps.com/eCustomer/iq/usps/request.do?create=kb:USPSFAQ&view%28%29=c[c_usps0317]&varset%28source%29=sourceType:embedded

That is the point, there is no option for adding signature confirmation on Express Mail International. They do not offer the service.

As an employee of Canada Post I can tell you that I deliver sig. required items from the US. It's all bar coded, a signature is required and captured along with the name of the signer.

I would assume that since I capture a sig on my personal data device and upload it to our database it's available for viewing on-line. I think I will test that on Tuesday by checking a few items I deliver from the US.

That is the point, there is no option for adding signature confirmation on Express Mail International. They do not offer the service.

I have to say that the idea of listing information about a service and not offering it to me is something foreign.

This is what I see under the Extra Services tab:

You can add the following options at a Post Office™ to …

Get proof of delivery.

Return Receipt with the recipient’s signature sent by postcard. Some countries don’t allow return receipts.

Learn more about extra services ›

If you follow the "Learn more about extra services" link, it shows that EM offers return receipts, and that sig confirmation is offered for the following:

Priority Mail

First-Class Mail

Parcel Post

Media Mail

I can tell you I do NOT ship outside of the United States. It is a simple matter of logistics. I ship via US mail and once the package leaves the US; all accurate delivery confirmation and tracking stops. More than likely if a complaint is filed for an item for non-receipt via PayPal; PayPal will rule in favor of the buyer.

This is 100% incorrect.

Please REREAD your updated USER agreement. You know the ones they email you to state changes to. Do you need me to quote the exact wording?

No. No need. Your comment is still 100% incorrect. USPS tracked items are assigned a Canada Post tracking number at the border. This number can be tracked online at Canada Post.

The fact you were given a $20 gift certificate after your trouble transaction is an acknowledgement by Paypal that they made an error.

As an employee of Canada Post I can tell you that I deliver sig. required items from the US. It's all bar coded, a signature is required and captured along with the name of the signer.

I would assume that since I capture a sig on my personal data device and upload it to our database it's available for viewing on-line. I think I will test that on Tuesday by checking a few items I deliver from the US.

I think that's just the Express Mail Service EMS which is run by the Universal Postal Union - standards are international & policed, it is intended to compete with couriers; that's what someone in the US would use to overseas people. When you talk about general service from US to Canada then those services, features and clearance processes are negotiated between the two countries & you're looking at pretty much four choices.

I think I've had someone send me signature required packages from the US though. hm

I can't believe this has been up here for two hours and no one has commented about BUTM's busted link?

:baiting:

In summary from what I've read here and in other threads:

First Class & Priority are the only cheap options.

First Class has to be under 4lbs & under 36" l x w x h

After that you move up the Priority boxes (>20lbs) large size/slabs or medium size/raw books & those come in at $40 or $33 respectively - I think some people associate numbers with these services & double boxers use both I think. (shrug)

Insurance? Not sure on that one for the above two services, I've seen comments saying it is & isn't insurable.

I offer this summary so that someone can correct it. :grin:

my first triple :acclaim:

In summary from what I've read here and in other threads:

First Class & Priority are the only cheap options.

First Class has to be under 4lbs & under 36" l x w x h

After that you move up the Priority boxes (>20lbs) large size/slabs or medium size/raw books & those come in at $40 or $33 respectively - I think some people associate numbers with these services & double boxers use both I think. (shrug)

Insurance? Not sure on that one for the above two services, I've seen comments saying it is & isn't insurable.

I offer this summary so that someone can correct it. :grin:

my first triple :acclaim:

You be correct. (thumbs u

Just note that First Class is untracked.

If you follow the "Learn more about extra services" link, it shows that EM offers return receipts, and that sig confirmation is offered for the following:

Priority Mail

First-Class Mail

Parcel Post

Media Mail

Those are all domestic delivery services.

You need to click the International tab.

Express Mail DOES offer signature confirmation

Express Mail International does NOT

Additionally, even when you click the international tab, only some countries accept the options listed.

So what happens when the average seller (who doesn't understand all of the ins and outs of this, but wants to make sure they get full "Seller Protection") tells an international customer that they will have to pay for shipping and then shipping is 3 to 5x what they were expecting to pay. Of course the buyer looks at the USPS website and thinks "I am being screwed".

EMS is actually the service I was thinking about. I found EMI and thought they had changed the name. Regardless, the signature receipt card offered by EMI works, and while I understand that shipping costs are a factor, at least the seller gives the buyer an option of refusal instead of closing the door altogether.

As for my experiences using EMS in the past, I have requested this option and the most I've ever paid to have a slab shipped to me was between $35-$45 and that included tracking and signature services.

I think that's just the Express Mail Service EMS which is run by the Universal Postal Union - standards are international & policed, it is intended to compete with couriers; that's what someone in the US would use to overseas people. When you talk about general service from US to Canada then those services, features and clearance processes are negotiated between the two countries & you're looking at pretty much four choices.

I think I've had someone send me signature required packages from the US though. hm

Actually, I believe most of the items are registered mail.

Every single item I've purchased in the past year that was over $100 was sent requiring a signature. Whether it was at my door, or at the PO with a parcel notification slip. I would say the majority were Priority, but a few had to be First Class as the shipping rate I was paying was usually between $8-$20.

EMS is actually the service I was thinking about. I found EMI and thought they had changed the name. Regardless, the signature receipt card offered by EMI works, and while I understand that shipping costs are a factor, at least the seller gives the buyer an option of refusal instead of closing the door altogether.

As for my experiences using EMS in the past, I have requested this option and the most I've ever paid to have a slab shipped to me was between $35-$45 and that included tracking and signature services.

A return receipt card does not meet ebay/Paypal requirements of online verifiable signature.

USPS does not offer EMS. If you requested EMS service from a US seller you likely got Express Mail International or Priority Mail International. Again those services do not guarantee a signature. Does Canada Post get a signature? Of course, most of the time.

The problem is when an ebay seller gets to the counter at USPS and says "I need a signature" the only option is Global Express Guaranteed which starts at $60 for a 1lb box. Buyers used to paying $30 for shipping end up feeling ripped off and leave feedback accordingly.

I guess I've been fortunate to avoid the excuse making US sellers all these years then. I'll especially have to learn to be less generous with my time for those who lament about the complications, the annoyances and hassles, because I'm not buying the PayPal and shipping service limitations.

USPS does not offer EMS. If you requested EMS service from a US seller you likely got Express Mail International or Priority Mail International. Again those services do not guarantee a signature. Does Canada Post get a signature? Of course, most of the time.

With USPS Priority and Express, I get a pick-up slip. I need to go to the post office and sign for the item.