• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hulk Splash (sold recently on ebay)

7 posts in this topic

This seems to be more or less a stat, and was even disclosed to be a stat?

Two days before the close of the auction the seller added this:

On Aug-27-12 at 12:02:46 PDT, seller added the following information:

I have had close to a hundred email messages regarding this lot. I figured I'd answer a few questions I keep getting asked to cover the bases and hopefully save us both time in both writing emails and answering them. First I do not have any other original comic artwork I care to sell at this time. Second I will combine shipping if you buy both lots... Third This page has a print on it and ink both. The print I keep getting told is called a "stat." The middle of the hulks head appears to be that. It is glued down and the hair on the sides are ink. If there is ink underneath the glued down piece of paper I don't know. I hope that helps!

Seems like he disclosed it in reasonable time and the pictures show it pretty well.

It's more than I would have paid, but that's not saying much. :)

There's a possibility there's "real" artwork underneath the stat, like a pasteover?

So, it could be the original production piece and may have value in that regard, 'tho, usually a stat is based upon some sort of original art, and it could be that splash page is a blown up stat of an already used panel that's been published either in a previous issue or that current issue.

It does have the stamped back, with the Marvel credentials I believe. It did go through eBay's marketplace "supply and demand" auction system, and not a "buy it now" so in a "let the buyer beware" scenario, there was enough interest to command that over $1k pricetag.

The seller didn't do a tremendous job in the description or close up's of the piece, so as a "better safe than sorry" doubter, I often subscribe to the "it's better to pass, than to fail" mentality of not needing the exposure to any potential bad drama or situation.

But it was a stat. There are cover stats that dont demand that price tag?

The only "hope" is that the original artwork is underneath. But is it still a good deal?

Can't you get Hulk Title Pages around that range from that area?

All inked and stuff?

I don't know, I felt it was a bit iffy. He described himself as an art dealer but did not know it was called a "stat". I think most of the bids were in before he disclosed that the head was a stat. I looked at the auction in a cursory fashion and did not note the stat until the new info was posted, although it is clear in the pictures.

I predict a RETURN, although we won't know if that is the case.