• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cover Reproduction artwork

62 posts in this topic

I know artist do these from time to time. But I'm curious what these go for generally if anyone knows?

Obviously I'm not a published / known artist, its far from finished, and there are some corrections to be made along the way. That and I'm still deciding if I should leave it in raw pencil or ink it once it's finished.

In case anyone is watching, I've been changing out this picture as the artwork progresses. :)

hulk340-part7.jpg

They go for a wide range, usually determined by the individual artist's skill, resume, following, and his/her execution of the particular piece.

I have seen recreations as low are $30 for an unknown recreating someone else's work, and as high as $5000 for painted recreations done by the original artist of the source material.

One of the niggling problems I see with these things is that the lettering can often look very shaky. The drawing might be okay, but lettering is a real skill best left to the experts. A bad lettering effort can (for me) ruin a decent drawing.

I do whole heartily agree with you. This one was mostly for fun and practice. There are several things on it I'm not thrilled about. But because I knew I wasn't going to sell this one, I wasn't so concerned about fixing the issues I see. When I finish the next version, I'll post it and see what you guys think.

But thank you for the feedback none the less :)

I disagree, some people buy recreations because either the original does not exist or is beyond their price range. Regardless of whether it is from the original artist or someone else, how is it different than buying a lithograph or giclee of a piece of art from the artist or from a long dead artist. I think it is not much different and is a widely accepted form of art. To each their own, as long as it is for personal enjoyment and not with the intent of investment purposes.

Recreations never interested me even if it's done by the original artist.

If it's not the original artist, it's like buying a fake Rolex watch. If it is the original artist it's a little better, but it just seems pathetic.

DG

I'm not exactly the world's biggest fan of recreations, but calling this guy's efforts 'pathetic' is a bit harsh.

A lot of artists (or inkers) recreating earlier works help provide additional income during times when regular work may be behind them.

If someone like Steve Ditko had a change of mind and decided to go the commission route (recreating old ASM covers), watch the stampede!

As a general rule I don't buy lithographs or prints. My interest in comic art ties more to the creation process and it's unique status within that process. When I purchased a Neal Adams sketch, I didn't have him draw Batman or the Joker. I had him sketch my girlfriend based a photo. It had more of a personal connection and she loved it. The only comic art I've put on the wall is an offensive little Ivan Brunetti gag strip.

You are correct that everyone buys art for different reasons. I was just expressing my point of view. By no means does that mean someone else is wrong for wanting a cover recreation. I just don't get excited when I see them.

I was hugely disappointed one year when Don Rosa had a display of art with Disney ducks incorporated into classic superhero covers. That's completely opposite of what I'd want to buy from him. I'd want to buy a classic representation of the ducks as he would draw them for a Disney comic.

DG

You are correct that everyone buys art for different reasons. I was just expressing my point of view. By no means does that mean someone else is wrong for wanting a cover recreation. I just don't get excited when I see them.

DG

Nor me.

Recreating your own work means you aren't moving forward. You aren't using your imagination. You have nothing better to do in exchange for the money. I'd rather see a creator feverishly creating a NEW work than rehashing a copy of something he did in the past. Call that harsh, but simply tracing ones past work doesn't excite me. Not only that, recreations usually involve doing tasks the artist didn't even do on the original like inking, placing the title and branding around the image etc.

I was so glad to hear that Herb Trimpe was going to quit doing Hulk #181 cover recreations. There must be a dozen of those and he drew some better covers anyway.

DG

Recreating your own work means you aren't moving forward. You aren't using your imagination. You have nothing better to do in exchange for the money. I'd rather see a creator feverishly creating a NEW work than rehashing a copy of something he did in the past. Call that harsh, but simply tracing ones past work doesn't excite me. Not only that, recreations usually involve doing tasks the artist didn't even do on the original like inking, placing the title and branding around the image etc.

I was so glad to hear that Herb Trimpe was going to quit doing Hulk #181 cover recreations. There must be a dozen of those and he drew some better covers anyway.

DG

I'm not disagreeing with you, just saying that when the original artist/s recreate something at a fan's request - it's not really that different than the repetitive tasks (most of us) peform at our respective workplaces (we go along with what our respective bosses ask of us).

For what it's worth, I wish some of these original artists (recreating earlier works) would go the route of doing 're-imagined' pieces.

Recreations never interested me even if it's done by the original artist.

If it's not the original artist, it's like buying a fake Rolex watch. If it is the original artist it's a little better, but it just seems pathetic.

DG

I'm not exactly the world's biggest fan of recreations . . .

As I was saying . . .

Just to put to rest if this was a traced recreation or not, which I can assure you was NOT. I found the original artwork online, blew it up and added the logo then printed it off so you can compare. You can see there are many differences and therefore errors in my recreation, but that's going to happen when you eyeball something without measuring it well enough...

hulk340-compare.jpg

However, I don't see why people have a problem with tracing. MANY comic artists do thumbnails or rough sketches, then blow them up, trace the basic shapes and outlines they plotted out and do the refining work. And that will be the route I take on future recreations to get them more spot on like the originals.

You can get an idea of my process here...

hulk340-part1.jpg

hulk340-part3.jpg

hulk340-part4.jpg

hulk340-part5.jpg

hulk340-part6.jpg

hulk340-part7.jpg

hulk340-part8.jpg

hulk340-part9.jpg