• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cover Reproduction artwork

62 posts in this topic

Your work is very good. Proof that often times there is little difference in abilities between "pro" and "amateur".

Thank you for the kind words.

Pro pencillers are infinitely better because of the layouts and storytelling they have in their minds.

Pro inkers are better because they can add proper line weight and shadows on loose pencils.

As for amateurs like me, perhaps I just do a good job in copying art that is already there. I totally appreciate what makes pros much much better and that is why I collect original comic art which cost me an arm and a leg.

But it still is nice to know my work is appreciated.

Your work is very good. Proof that often times there is little difference in abilities between "pro" and "amateur".

Thank you for the kind words.

Pro pencillers are infinitely better because of the layouts and storytelling they have in their minds.

Pro inkers are better because they can add proper line weight and shadows on loose pencils.

As for amateurs like me, perhaps I just do a good job in copying art that is already there. I totally appreciate what makes pros much much better and that is why I collect original comic art which cost me an arm and a leg.

But it still is nice to know my work is appreciated.

And modest too.

I have no art talent at all so am only guessing, but perhaps in time by recreating the work of others you will reach a point where the images are in your head and you can draw them from your mind as well.

Nice CAF gallery you have put together in a short period of time. The Action Comics and Batman covers are real gems.

Recreating your own work means you aren't moving forward. You aren't using your imagination. You have nothing better to do in exchange for the money. I'd rather see a creator feverishly creating a NEW work than rehashing a copy of something he did in the past. Call that harsh, but simply tracing ones past work doesn't excite me. Not only that, recreations usually involve doing tasks the artist didn't even do on the original like inking, placing the title and branding around the image etc.

I was so glad to hear that Herb Trimpe was going to quit doing Hulk #181 cover recreations. There must be a dozen of those and he drew some better covers anyway.

DG

One comment:

As an artist you take the job that comes your way. I can create something new, but some of my clients want a recreated cover of their favorite book. I enjoy drawing, and I like doing original pieces and recreated. It definitely isn't that you have nothing better to do or that you are not moving forward, it is what your customer has asked for and paid for.

Recreating your own work means you aren't moving forward. You aren't using your imagination. You have nothing better to do in exchange for the money. I'd rather see a creator feverishly creating a NEW work than rehashing a copy of something he did in the past. Call that harsh, but simply tracing ones past work doesn't excite me. Not only that, recreations usually involve doing tasks the artist didn't even do on the original like inking, placing the title and branding around the image etc.

I was so glad to hear that Herb Trimpe was going to quit doing Hulk #181 cover recreations. There must be a dozen of those and he drew some better covers anyway.

DG

One comment:

As an artist you take the job that comes your way. I can create something new, but some of my clients want a recreated cover of their favorite book. I enjoy drawing, and I like doing original pieces and recreated. It definitely isn't that you have nothing better to do or that you are not moving forward, it is what your customer has asked for and paid for.

+1

Artists have to eat too.

I may not be an "amateur" for long.

I got a a private message asking to recreate something.

I will do that something, but have no idea if I should send it or charge the guy. Maybe I should post it here first once it is done, and let him decide.

I don't mind keeping it anyway.

I will do that something, but have no idea if I should send it or charge the guy. Maybe I should post it here first once it is done, and let him decide.

I'm not sure I follow your post. If you were requested to recreate something, then that person should expect to pay you. It would not be reasonable for you to do all the work - and then for the buyer to decide if they want it or not. If there is some question about what the buyer actually wants, do a rough sketch for approval.

You set the price and the terms before you get paid. You should ask for 1/2 payment upfront so the person has an incentive to follow through with the purchase. And you have an incentive to finish the work. That way you've made something for your efforts if something happens and they can't follow through

I'm not the best to estimate what one should charge. I joined these boards a few years ago specifically to learn more about OA as I wanted to purchase a few nice pieces for myself. I see talented amateurs on ebay doing commissioned pinups for $25. This is for a single, detailed and inked figure. I should expect they charge more for multiple charaters and/or cover recreations

As professionals go, you are familiar with Frank McLaughlin. He's very affordable and you know what he charges for cover recreations. It would be reasonable for your recreations to cost less.

Congrats on your first (if this is your first) paying gig.

Tony

DG

One comment:

You are correct. I would rather see artists doing something so great that a cover recreation didn't seem as lucrative. Something inspired the original cover and made it memorable. I'd rather see artists chasing that next inspiration instead of trying to duplicate something they've done before.

DG

I'm not sure I follow your post. If you were requested to recreate something, then that person should expect to pay you. It would not be reasonable for you to do all the work - and then for the buyer to decide if they want it or not. If there is some question about what the buyer actually wants, do a rough sketch for approval.

You set the price and the terms before you get paid. You should ask for 1/2 payment upfront so the person has an incentive to follow through with the purchase. And you have an incentive to finish the work. That way you've made something for your efforts if something happens and they can't follow through

I'm not the best to estimate what one should charge. I joined these boards a few years ago specifically to learn more about OA as I wanted to purchase a few nice pieces for myself. I see talented amateurs on ebay doing commissioned pinups for $25. This is for a single, detailed and inked figure. I should expect they charge more for multiple charaters and/or cover recreations

As professionals go, you are familiar with Frank McLaughlin. He's very affordable and you know what he charges for cover recreations. It would be reasonable for your recreations to cost less.

Tony

It's pretty standard par for artists to work for nothing or donations until they build a reputation big enough for people to come to them with money in hand.

Watch this video for a professional writer's take on working for free.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/mj5IV23g-fE

Tony

I am no pro. This is just for fun not money. What the person requested was a cover I felt challenging to do. And I found it quite interesting since it was in a similar vein to the Batman 232 recreation which used both pencils and inks.

So I felt like doing it immediately, and I actually plan to keep it for myself if the forum member doesn't like it. I might actually be done with it tomorrow. I was quite pumped up to do it.

Personally, I don't really consider this "art" since I am just copying something that is already there.

As the hobbyist artist in me even over-indulged by daring professional inkers (Joe Rubinstein and Mike DeCarlo) ink over my pencils: http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=129595

Anyway we will see how this goes. Right now it is something I don't mind doing and it is probably just an isolated case of someone who appreciates my amateur work.

Here's the piece I am working on now which is another cover reproduction requested by a fellow member. By tomorrow this should be done and I will post a higher resolution scan.

sCIMG2755.jpg

I found it odd recreating a fairly modern art but the image really piqued my interest as a challenge to draw.

My latest reproductions or in the case of the GL cover, I'd call it a "reconstruction" since I printed the logos and the original board margins from that era to give it that vintage feel.

CIMG2773small.jpg

If you want to view better quality scans or comment in the CAF gallery, check it here.

GL 76

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=949573&GSub=114039

Gotham Knights 34

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=949574&GSub=114039

Personally, I don't have any interest in collecting exact recreations, whether by the original artist or by others. I'd rather have a high quality print of the original. But when recreations are done well, I do admire the technical skills involved.

Reimaginings are a different story. Figuratively and literally. They're new art.

I commissioned Frank Brunner to do a reimagining of the cover to Howard the Duck #9, originally drawn by Gene Colan. My only request was that he flip the perspective so that Howard was in the foreground.

To my mind, the result is a unique piece of art requiring both creative and technical skills.

The original cover:

HTD9_COVER_LO.jpg

And Brunner's reimagining:

HTD9_BRUNNER.jpg