• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nice run completed

40 posts in this topic

Thanks to fellow board member Nochips (Stuart) I just completed a real nice run in my Superboy collection, 92-258 complete. Thats like a 17 year run of the title. I am still working on earlier issues, but that 117 in nice shape was the last piece of my puzzle.

Next on my hit list is Superman 165 to complete my Superman 129-200 run. Not as long as the Superboy, but nice anyways.

Thanks Stuart!

Nice job Silver! Oddly enough, I received my very first Superboy in today's post. Kirby may have been King, but Swan was surely an archangel.

superboy132lorez.jpg

Great Job Silver! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Because i collect 100 pagers, i have to collect some Superboys.

Superboy 205 CGC 9.2 was my first CGC graded book ever, it was my oldest book when i received it and it is at the moment probably my favourite cover from my collection. smirk.gif

Any chance of seeing a pic of it?

I was telling one of my old collector friends just this morning that because I was such a Marvel Head back in the 1960's, alot of the the old DC covers from that era are brand new images to me.

For instance, I love Jack Kirby, but it's gotten to the point where even though I might admire a cover like FF 48....I've just seen it soooooo many times. Yet, a cool Curt Swan or Nick Cardy or Infantino cover from Redhooks Lost DC Era are spanking new and so much fun to discover.

I've come to appreciate the DC covers for what they were. Lots of fun, always colorful, more than a little goofy sometimes and often suprisingly well designed.

Next on my hit list is Superman 165 to complete my Superman 129-200 run.

Thanks Stuart!

I just bought Superman 164 and 167....makes me want to get more silverage supermans. Those were fantastic. I realised after finishing those comics that modern Superman is nothing compared to the greatness of classic silverage superman. So I have officially removed all modern superman comics from my pull folder at my LCS.

thumbsup2.gif

I just bought Superman 164 and 167....makes me want to get more silverage supermans.

Superman's in the 160's are just so cool ... must r e s i s t urge to start scanning covers ....

I just bought Superman 164 and 167....makes me want to get more silverage supermans.

Superman's in the 160's are just so cool ... must r e s i s t urge to start scanning covers ....

Are Supermans in the 150s and 170s not as cool?

In my opinion, the 160's represent the best Swan covers of any 10 issue run. Without posting each cover, here's why:

161 - Classic cover depicting the blurb "Last days of Ma and Pa Kent!"

162 - Superman Red / Superman Blue imanginery story

164 - Classic (there's that word again) cover depicting Luthor hitting Superman under a red sun, part 1 of "Showdown Between Luthor and Superman"

166 - Great Christmas cover, imaginary story "The Sons of Superman"

167 - Classic Luthor/Brainiac cover

169 - Very cool "Bizarro Invasion of Earth" cover

It's pretty tough to beat these ten issues in the silverage Superman era for classic covers and great stories. The 140's come close cloud9.gif