• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HELP! Looking for a specific John Buscema Mephisto image

9 posts in this topic

Can anyone locate the image in my mind? No, really. I know it is from a John Buscema illustration because Frank Brunner knew exactly what I was talking about when I commissioned him to do a version. And Joe Jusko, who is apparently a huge Buscema guy, has done a version as well.Here is Joe's.

Mephisto_by_JoeJusko.jpg

Now maybe I am wrong and Jusko did it first, but I do not think so. So can anyone find the image I am looking for? Does anyone else recall this as a Buscema image? I tried emailing Jusko a while ago but got no return. That image is from his deviant gallery and mentions Buscema in the comments but not specifically about this image.

I ask because I have been trying to get some commissions with the souls being consumed being The Defenders. It can be hard to convey what I want and I cannot find that durn image myself no matter how often I try.

Just noticde this post. I own the actual Jusko painting. I know he mentioned the piece as being in Buscema's style. I owned a few Buscema splashes with Mephisto but I don't recall seeing anything with him devouring poor souls from a chalice.

It is a great painting. Thanks for sharing the info as well. My quest continues. I should see Joe eventually, so I will ask him specifically when the chance arises.

Just noticde this post. I own the actual Jusko painting. I know he mentioned the piece as being in Buscema's style. I owned a few Buscema splashes with Mephisto but I don't recall seeing anything with him devouring poor souls from a chalice.

I think the most logical place to check would be the SS graphic novel that John did 2c

^ the GN is later and outside the normal books, so the theme may have been easier to pull off. Plus, Jusko provided the cover for the GN so it stands to reason he'd be familiar with the work

You could also ask Brian Peck if the image rings a bell as being done by Big John. Brian wrote a published biography of John Buscema. Jusko was to do the cover for the book but I believe Brian said Marvel nixed the idea.

See, I see it in my brain! It is a close up, not a full figure of Mephisto. And where the souls being drunk in Jusko's are lifelike, I remember doll-like victims in the other one. Frank Brunner told me he did not need reference and knew exactly what I was talking about when he did a version for me. It was close-up. Thanks though, I will continue with Brian at some point..