• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The cover of X-Men #137 recreated by Joe Rubinstein.

7 posts in this topic

Hi all, it's me again, sorry!

I just received this piece by Joe Rubinstein and wanted to share it with you!

This cover is really special for me since the X-Men run by Byrne/Austin's and specially X-Men #137 had a great impact on me in my late teens. Imho, this is one of the key moments in Marvel history.

My latest experience with Joe Rubinstein (the splash of Captain America #255) went quite smooth so I decided to repeat it. I asked him to give his shot at this memorable cover, but I didn't wanted a line-per-line recreation, I wanted him to add his trademark style and make as many changes he felt it was needed. Like a "what if" if he got assigned to the book.

This time it also went smooth and imho he delivered a fantastic job! If you compare it with the original drawing embellished by Austin, there are many small changes that includes anatomy, lighting and some tricks to separate the figures from the black background. Just what I expected from Joe.

If someone wants to comission Joe, I strongly recommend to use a third party or make the payment once the drawing is done. This is what I did, and this way everything went smooth.

Hope you like it!

rubinsteinxmen137cvrlow.jpg

You can enjoy a larger image here:

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/7111/rubinsteinxmen137cvrmed.jpg

And this is the colored version by Gerry Turnbull, who can't resist to color this kind of vintage pieces by Byrne... ;-)

rubinsteinxmen137cvrcol.jpg

My all time favorite cover and Rubinstein did it justice! :applause:

Btw, I had doubts about how to define it. Technically is not a recreation since it's not a line-per-line copy, but it isn't either a all-new drawing inspired on the original cover. What do you think?

Joe worked over a blue print of the original image.

I'd call it a recreation.

Agreed. A recreation doesn't have to be 100% line by line. A reintepretation implies that there has been a meaningful deviation from the original, which doesn't really apply here and just makes it look like a euphemism for what it really is, a recreation. Still a very nice piece, though.