• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four 52 light blue amulet or light blue ring

54 posts in this topic

This blue dot happens to be the Christmas variant. T'Challa was emulating (or is that amulating) Rudolph's red nose in his own respectful way.

It's highly rare to see T'Challa imitate another religion's symbolism, showing that he was deeply moved in some way in this issue.

We might be seeing a Santa Claus cameo in the movie.

Roy, with this one you’re the… ^^

And no one will take the title off your hands… :insane:

What I don’t understand is what source materials they used for those reprints.

The Black Panther FF #52 looks like they carefully restored the original colors (including the "amulet" inkblot), but FF #67 looks like they recolored the cover with computer "airbrushing", losing a touch of the original handmade magic (look at Johnny’s flame, Crystal's legs, etc.)…

fantastic_four_67.jpg

$(KGrHqF,!gsE5so!GmgyBOqwY0TpI!~~60_57.JPG

BTW, in this case, besides the paper and the questions concerning its aging, it would just take the average guy to recognize a reprint, so I’m sure CGC could never mistake the one for the other. Different with those recent reprints, anyway. I did not even know they reprinted issues of The New Warriors.

The OP has stumbled onto something here. I would be excited if these were indeed two distinct printings and "original" renditions of FF 52.

Alas, I'm afraid to bear the bad news. :(

I believe the FF 52 where the Black Panther is wear that blue amulet may likely be a REPRINT! It was allegedly published/distributed in 2006 by JC Penny!

I saw a copy of this particular "reprint" currently up on eBay. It shows the Black Panther wearing the amulet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fantastic-Four-52-RARE-JC-Penny-Variant-Black-Panther-/271046244682?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3f1b9d794a

I've contacted the eBay Seller directly asking him for definitive evidence that this is indeed a JC Penney issued "variant" or "reprint." I will report back to the thread should he respond back to me.

Looks like JC-Penny/Sears did a whole bunch of reprints! :frustrated:

Here's a nice discussion of it about the early '90s Marvel reprints JC Penney issued.

http://www.stlcomics.com/gallery/jcpenney_stridex/

http://stlcomics.com/cover_gallery/categories.php?cat_id=131&page=1

I've scoured the web for the 2006 JC Penney reprints, but no luck.

It's weird, but that eBay item looks "aged." Damn, they make those reprints believable!

Anyone find any other evidence that would contradict this hypothesis? hm

At least this is food for thought. :blahblah:

The FF #52 JC Penny reprints do not have any price on them. That is the easy way to tell.

I have been getting feedback that this is a manufacturer's defect from an ebay seller. CGC only certifies it as they see it but it might be in the grader notes which you pay extra. I think this is something that Overstreet or higher ups should clarify since this book is hard to find in near mint condition. If it is a printer defect, it is an interesting place to show up in its blue glow. Also, this book is touched up a lot due to the black color. Once the black color breaks on the cover, it really stand out. Thanks for everyone for posting.

I have been getting feedback that this is a manufacturer's defect from an ebay seller. CGC only certifies it as they see it but it might be in the grader notes which you pay extra. I think this is something that Overstreet or higher ups should clarify since this book is hard to find in near mint condition. If it is a printer defect, it is an interesting place to show up in its blue glow. Also, this book is touched up a lot due to the black color. Once the black color breaks on the cover, it really stand out. Thanks for everyone for posting.

Folks, its a damn fisheye! Its common in the printing process and the two versions are nothing special. Sports cards have this happen all the time.

It isnt like the FF 110 (iirc) color variation.

Folks, its a damn fisheye! Its common in the printing process and the two versions are nothing special. Sports cards have this happen all the time.

It isnt like the FF 110 (iirc) color variation.

Yes, you’re absolutely right. The FF 110 has two plates swapped, the result is nice, very fitting with the period psychedelia. :)

I just checked my copies. I have both the original and the reprint. The original does not have the blue amulet. The reprint does.

Yours is a single observation. It demonstrates that not all original copies have the blue dot. It says nothing about all the other copies.

Here's an example that shows original copies also can have the blue dot:

FF52.jpg