• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four 52 light blue amulet or light blue ring

54 posts in this topic

I am not sure if this has been discussed before regarding Fantastic Four 52. I noticed that on Fantastic Four 52 featuring Black Panther that there is a light blue amulet or light blue ring around neck or the belt going over his shoulder with a light blue clasp. On some covers that cgc has graded they are noticeable and some they are not. On eBay, I saw a book graded at 9.4 and did not see it but lower CGC books I saw it clearly. Just wondering.

The OP has stumbled onto something here. I would be excited if these were indeed two distinct printings and "original" renditions of FF 52.

Alas, I'm afraid to bear the bad news. :(

I believe the FF 52 where the Black Panther is wear that blue amulet may likely be a REPRINT! It was allegedly published/distributed in 2006 by JC Penny!

I saw a copy of this particular "reprint" currently up on eBay. It shows the Black Panther wearing the amulet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fantastic-Four-52-RARE-JC-Penny-Variant-Black-Panther-/271046244682?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3f1b9d794a

I've contacted the eBay Seller directly asking him for definitive evidence that this is indeed a JC Penney issued "variant" or "reprint." I will report back to the thread should he respond back to me.

Looks like JC-Penny/Sears did a whole bunch of reprints! :frustrated:

Here's a nice discussion of it about the early '90s Marvel reprints JC Penney issued.

http://www.stlcomics.com/gallery/jcpenney_stridex/

http://stlcomics.com/cover_gallery/categories.php?cat_id=131&page=1

I've scoured the web for the 2006 JC Penney reprints, but no luck.

It's weird, but that eBay item looks "aged." Damn, they make those reprints believable!

Anyone find any other evidence that would contradict this hypothesis? hm

At least this is food for thought. :blahblah:

If that's the case then there should be mentioned of the book being a re-print inside (shrug)

I'm baffled as you are on this.

I have written the eBay Seller directly asking for irrefutable evidence that what he is selling is indeed a "reprint" and not an "original." I'm hopeful he will reply in a timely manner so I can report my findings.

It seems crazy that CGC would not report the blue amulet wearing BP copy as a "reprint."

This is indeed a mystery! :shy:

It's defintely going to be fun tracking down the "truth" about this!

Ugggghhhh! :frustrated:

Now I'm really stumped.

I see a CGC 8.5 graded FF 52 with the BP wearing the blue amulet on eBay!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fantastic-Four-52-1966-CGC-Graded-8-5-Stan-Lee-Jack-Kirby-Black-Panther-/350594547067?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item51a1103d7b

No mention by CGC that it is a reprint, so presumptively it must be an original printing? hm

I am getting really antsy now to get that reply from eBay Seller crimsontidecollectibles about the FF 52 he is selling! :ohnoez:

Differences between the 2 BPs is a real MYSTERY!

Z-BlackPanther-b.jpgZ-BlackPanther-a.jpg

The first pic looks as if the Panther's belt has a buckle on its chest strap. Second pic is definitely a printing fault, I think.

Perhaps you're right, and we're just making alot about nothing.

Regardless, you saw the eBay auction listing above featuring the JC Penney "variant" or "reprint" that was allegedly issued in 2006. That particular book looks exactly like the one we're discussing (BP wearing blue amulet.)

The printing defect, if that what it was, must have been widespread in the distribution of FF 52 back in the day.

Anyway, when I hear back from the eBay seller, I will post the results.

Holy :censored: CGC is not perfect. But how many other errors like this have slipped by. An FF 52 9.0 and up that is a JCP reprint that CGC coded as a first print is a difference of lots of $$$ and potentialy could be considered a fraud on any unsuspecting buyers. (tsk)

Imagine this if you bought a 9.8 presented as a first print and later discovered that CGC the be all and end all in gradilng screwed up.

What recourse would you have?

hm

Holy :censored: CGC is not perfect. But how many other errors like this have slipped by. An FF 52 9.0 and up that is a JCP reprint that CGC coded as a first print is a difference of lots of $$$ and potentialy could be considered a fraud on any unsuspecting buyers. (tsk)

Imagine this if you bought a 9.8 presented as a first print and later discovered that CGC the be all and end all in gradilng screwed up.

What recourse would you have?

hm

Precisely why I've written the eBay Seller directly on this. I have asked him to give me conclusive proof why he believes the FF 52 he is selling is a JC Penney Variant or reprint.

For the sake of those collectors who have purchased CGC graded FF 52s with the BP wearing the blue amulet (or printing defect,) I hope it was a printing defect and NOT a reprint.

If CGC bungled this and have been grading JC Penney reprints as real McCoys, they'll be in deep do do IMO. How will they be able to explain that screw up?

If they indeed messed up, they would be on the hook for mucho $ on a negigence action based on detrimental reliance.

Perhaps we've just opened a Pandora's Box on this? :o

We'll see soon enough, but you must admit that FF 52 that eBay seller has up for bid on eBay #271046244682 looks God darn real. hm

I think those reprints the covers are basically color copies. So if the Book they used had the defect that would explain it.

There's an FF 52 club thread in silver. Lots of examples there to look at. I scanned mine yesterday but haven't posted yet.

I think those reprints the covers are basically color copies. So if the Book they used had the defect that would explain it.

There's an FF 52 club thread in silver. Lots of examples there to look at. I scanned mine yesterday but haven't posted yet.

So what you're saying is the "blue amulet" we see on the BP on some copies of FF 52 is a printing defect? hm

JC Penney used a FF 52 with the printing defect as their "master" to go by when they did their print run for the reprints? hm

Sounds plausible, and I hope you're right.

BTW, I visited the FF 52 Club thread in Silver Age, and no mention was made of this. I guess no one is concerned because it's a non-issue?

I wish I could see the so called "printing defect" up close with a jewelers loupe just to make sure.

reading this thread it sounds like you stumbled onto something. and I hope this is not the case. that means people have been over paying for reprints. cgc should have caught this. I understand that they are not perfect, but aside from being a third party grader, they should have better knowledge of all issues before grading them I think. if it is a reprint, then they really dropped the ball by not adding that to the label.

Regarding the 2006 reprint...

Written by STAN LEE Penciled by JACK KIRBY Cover by JACK KIRBY. Introducing the sensational Black Panther! In time for the wedding of the century comes this cover-to-cover facsimile of T'Challa's first appearance from FANTASTIC FOUR #52 (July 1966)! Scanned straight from a printed copy of the original, this keepsake edition includes all story pages, ads and text pieces - reproduced exactly as they appeared 40 years ago this month! Cover price $2.99.

Written by STAN LEE Penciled by JACK KIRBY Cover by JACK KIRBY. Introducing the sensational Black Panther! In time for the wedding of the century comes this cover-to-cover facsimile of T'Challa's first appearance from FANTASTIC FOUR #52 (July 1966)! Scanned straight from a printed copy of the original, this keepsake edition includes all story pages, ads and text pieces - reproduced exactly as they appeared 40 years ago this month! Cover price $2.99.

Awesome news! (worship)

Where are you getting this verbiage? Do you have a link to share?

I'm thrilled to hear about this, and although I don't own a FF 52, I'm sure all owners of the FF 52 (with printing defect) can now breath a collective SIGH!

Awesome news! (worship)

Where are you getting this verbiage? Do you have a link to share?

I'm thrilled to hear about this, and although I don't own a FF 52, I'm sure all owners of the FF 52 (with printing defect) can now breath a collective SIGH!

The link.

FF 52