• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help Me Solve This Mystery Regarding My 2 Copies of Amazing Spider-Man 143

58 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

As I was unpacking some of my collection I had migrated from USA to here in Thailand, I came accross something weird that I had almost forgotten until I saw them again after quite some time

It appears I have 2 different versions of Amazing Soiderman 143!

One is has a blue cover and the other has a purple one.

I look inside the publishing legend of both and they are originals 1st printings. I see many of each color on eBay.

There must be a logical explanation for this. Why would Marvel print 2 different colors like this?

Anyone know offhand?

This is the type of mystery that gets me fired up! :applause:

ASM143-blue.jpg

ASM143-purple.jpg

There are at least a handful of examples (discussed in the past on these boards) with some colour variation. It is simply a printing anomaly more than any distinguishing feature or tell of a printing/issue variation.

Thank you for taking the time to explain this to me. It just seemed weird to me that Marvel would do this intentionally.

There are at least a handful of examples (discussed in the past on these boards) with some colour variation. It is simply a printing anomaly more than any distinguishing feature or tell of a printing/issue variation.

But which is the correct color? hm

Exactly! Which color did Marvel make more copies of? EmoticonDoubt.gif

I never knew Marvel was in the practice of doing this every so often with their covers.

I don't mean the kind of anomaly that would get a green label, but rather a variation in the print that has more to do with changes in colour calibration rather than the absence of an ink colour.

CGC seems to treat both as if nothing were amiss about the background colour variation:

470613179_tp.jpg%24(KGrHqMOKiEE3Bm-FTPLBN4Q%2B)F,Wg~~_3.JPG

the real story is, why you left the USA for Bangkok.. :)

Are you asking me why I left the USSA for Bangkok, Thailand? tonguebr6.gif

yea, I think it would be a great place to visit, Bangkok that is, but I'd be too scared to leave the USA without good reason. what was yours?

I don't mean the kind of anomaly that would get a green label, but rather a variation in the print that has more to do with changes in colour calibration rather than the absence of an ink colour.

CGC seems to treat both as if nothing were amiss about the background colour variation:

Again, cool and all, just curious when they went to the printers what the original inker had in mind for the cover...purple or blue? I'm guessing blue since Spidey's color is impacted here as well.

God, someone wasted a ton of money to grade a 6.0 of that issue. :sick: Even more sickening now that CGC treats 1975 as a non Modern. :eyeroll:

the real story is, why you left the USA for Bangkok.. :)

Are you asking me why I left the USSA for Bangkok, Thailand? tonguebr6.gif

yea, I think it would be a great place to visit, Bangkok that is, but I'd be too scared to leave the USA without good reason. what was yours?

He gave you the reason. He didn't write USA. He wrote USSA.

Oh, and Modok? Just an FYI, Mods tend to frown on political stuff here.

Again, cool and all, just curious when they went to the printers what the original inker had in mind for the cover...purple or blue? I'm guessing blue since Spidey's color is impacted here as well.

God, someone wasted a ton of money to grade a 6.0 of that issue. :sick: Even more sickening now that CGC treats 1975 as a non Modern. :eyeroll:

lol

I like the contrast from the purple better as the blue seems to wash out some of the elements and composition of the cover art. Seems strange, but sometimes preference could be the explanation for this kind of change.

I'd agree one has to be an error cover there is a big difference between blue and purple. hm

There is no absence or change of CMYK on any of the cover elements other than the background. If Spidey was green/yellowish, or the Cyclone was redish, maybe there would be a case for an error, but there is no sign of it.

This is starting to become an Ask Dicey thread

I'd agree one has to be an error cover there is a big difference between blue and purple. hm

There is no absence or change of CMYK on any of the cover elements other than the background. If Spidey was green/yellowish, or the Cyclone was redish, maybe there would be a case for an error, but there is no sign of it.

But that defeated your original explanation. The fact that all the other areas a colored identically proves thatthe background was stripped two different color specs. If the red plate was too inked up, we'd get changes in ALL red areas. Same for all Cyan areas if the blue was inked not up to strength.

So, for whatever reason was going on that day, if all the other colors are identical in both versions, I'd say the bkgnd was stripped twice

I'm leaning toward the idea hat the other colors are NOT the same strengths in cyan and magenta, and its either strong magenta or weal cyan that caused this. Blues are stripped with more cyan than magenta. Purples come out of equal C and M plates.

I can't determine which happened here... But under inked plates affect the entire covers. Not just single areas. Unless, the press was such that areas of 100% coverage not get overloaded transfer, cause they are a lady at maximum.

Looking at the two original scans made by the same scanner at the same settings, we see that the machinery down the fit changes color dramatically due to the loss of Cyan (i or a gain in magenta) n the purple copies,

So I vote For a simple explanation that they included Un inked to full strength copies in the printers shipment to Marvel as part of their order for this issue.

Interestingly, since covers were printed four-up, there should be the same varieties out there for three other comics/Marvels that month!!!

Anybody know which they might be?

To add to this conversation, in the late eighties, when i was buying my spideys off the rack, i would sometimes see a purple and blue bacground cover in the same stack and often bought both. Im sure i have 2 or 3 of these, not that they mean anything to anyone. I now see them as variations in ink when being printed.

But that defeated your original explanation.

I'm not sure how you determined this, but for the sake of clarity, my position is that this is not an error or a variant of any sort.