• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can you still remember your first comic ?

105 posts in this topic

Strangely enough I never ever saw Marvels on sale at news-stands in England.

Well, I managed to pick up an Avengers #66 back in '69 off the newsstand.

Followed by a Nick Fury #5 and an X-Men #57.

Barry Windsor-Smith, Jim Steranko and Neal Adams in three quick hits. :cloud9:

No wonder I got hooked.

Whilst technically a comic, my very first exposure to Marvel was the Amazing Spider-Man Annual 4 which was reprinted in this UK annual from 1979...

spider-man+annual+1979+marvel+uk.jpg

Not the best story ever but I read this thing over and over when I was a kid. I was born in 81 so I probably read this around 85 or so. Managed to pick up a copy recently and also bought an the original ASM Annual 4. Had a lot of fun re-reading it!

Well, I managed to pick up an Avengers #66 back in '69 off the newsstand.

Followed by a Nick Fury #5 and an X-Men #57.

Barry Windsor-Smith, Jim Steranko and Neal Adams in three quick hits. :cloud9:

No wonder I got hooked.

Probably depended on the distributor and with what news-stands had what contracts with whomever.

GREAT topic for a thread! an_boggienight.gif

I most definitely remember my very 1st comic book!

It was 1970. I was 10 years old, and attending summer camp up in the Adirondacks (upstate New York). On a campers field trip to Fort Ticonderoga , we went to a local convenience store.

I purchased my very first Marvel. I have been hooked ever since!

Z-SilverSurferComicBook.jpg

Not only was I introduced to Marvel coming into the Bronze Age, but to the character Silver Surfer and most importantly Jack "King" Kirby!

I must have reread this book literally dozens of times while at camp until it was worn out.

When I returned home to Miami that fall and to elementary school, I started my collecting. My parents would give me a weekly allowance of $1.00, and I would buy 6 Marvels each week. I would be so excited and enthralled each time I would go to the local 7-11 each week to scope the new arrivals. Seeing what new Marvel arrivals came on the spinning rack was a highlight. My eyes would scan for the best copies and covers.

Those were the days.

I owe it all that Silver Surfer 18 I bought 40+ years ago, and it's a memory I will always cherish!

GREAT topic for a thread! an_boggienight.gif

I most definitely remember my very 1st comic book!

It was 1970. I was 10 years old, and attending summer camp up in the Adirondacks (upstate New York). On a campers field trip to Fort Ticonderoga , we went to a local convenience store.

I purchased my very first Marvel. I have been hooked ever since!

Z-SilverSurferComicBook.jpg

Not only was I introduced to Marvel coming into the Bronze Age, but to the character Silver Surfer and most importantly Jack "King" Kirby!

I must have reread this book literally dozens of times while at camp until it was worn out.

When I returned home to Miami that fall and to elementary school, I started my collecting. My parents would give me a weekly allowance of $1.00, and I would buy 6 Marvels each week. I would be so excited and enthralled each time I would go to the local 7-11 each week to scope the new arrivals. Seeing what new Marvel arrivals came on the spinning rack was a highlight. My eyes would scan for the best copies and covers.

Those were the days.

I owe it all that Silver Surfer 18 I bought 40+ years ago, and it's a memory I will always cherish!

I unfortunately no longer have that 1st comic, sold it along with many others when I really got into back issue collecting during the mid 80's. (My older comics were not of a quality I wanted anymore, as I was intersted in only NM or as close as I could get, so the 330 simply got replaced by a better copy).

I unfortunately no longer have that 1st comic, sold it along with many others when I really got into back issue collecting during the mid 80's. (My older comics were not of a quality I wanted anymore, as I was intersted in only NM or as close as I could get, so the 330 simply got replaced by a better copy).

Hahahahaha! I don't have the "original" Silver Surfer 18 I purchased in 1970. That was literally in tatters from my rereading it. 100x over. Same thing happened to my Amazing Spider-Man 129 and Hulk 181. When I bought them as a preteen, I reread them over and over until they were worn out.

I collected religiously from 1970 to 1975ish. When Marvel started charging 30 cents a book on their cover price, I stopped collecting. I lost my desire.

I rekindled my passion as a collector of high grade books in the early 1980s. Obviously, I wish I would have collected more "keys," but I'm pretty happy with what I collected then and now.

I have about 300 "reading" copies representing almost every title of the Bronze Age of Marvel from 1970 to 1975ish. Represents my childhood very well.

UK reprint of X-Men 1 (Circa 1980)

Followed by a lot of Beano, Action Force (G.I.Joe UK reprints) and Transformers.

Then Uncanny X-Men 238. Inferno kicked off then I was hooked fo life.

I have some very vague recollections of Star Wars UK comics (Circa 1978). I'd have been 3 at the time. Can still remember the pile in my bedroom. Can't remember anything else about them though :(

Just as a matter of interest, aren't you from the Ukraine? ???

Bred and born and lived for 34 yrs in England, moved here to Ukraine 8 yrs ago :)

Well..that's different

Oh boy, my "first" comic? I don't remember, except that my grandmother would bring me all kinds of mixed MARVEL/DC Bronze age books when I was a kid, but the book that got me hooked was years later - UNCANNY X-MEN #202. I still have the VG/FNish copy and I had both ROMITAS sign it, even though Sr. had nothing to do with it..

It was April of 1987. I was 9 years old and went with my dad to get haircuts. We stopped at the pharmacy next door and he bought me Mickey Mouse #225 from Gladstone. I started to get the Disney comics regularly. Then I discovered superheroes and the rest is history.

I still have that first comic, kept it as a keepsake. Anyone else still have theirs?