• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can you still remember your first comic ?

105 posts in this topic

The money part was sort of joking. My husband jokes I married him for his money ...both dollars.

It was really his comic books ;)

Plus personality wise he grades out at a 9.9/10..

back to original topic..my mom was one of those that figured if i got new comic books in the mail I had plenty of time to read the old ones and she would throw them all out. I only had one I held on to for many years just because it had a good story I liked for some reason..

Anyway getting back into comic books was the best thing that ever happened to me!

Someday I will get back parts of my collection I lost in the fire..but just the memories of all the books that have passed through my hands is pretty awesome

ASM 58 was the first one I bought with my own money. I also remember my Dad reading me ASM 52 and (I think) Marvel Tales 3 (the Lizard) from a huge 2 foot tall stack my Aunt gave me in the 60's. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. My actual first comic was an unknown issue of Turok......but all I remember are dinosaurs and waterfalls.

My brother got me reading comics in the early '70's. I remember only reading the war stuff and this one I always remembered...

Weird_War_Tales_Vol_1_6.jpg

It wasn't until a few years later that I started collecting. It seemed every boy in my 5th grade class read comics..this is the first one I remember buying off the stands...

detail.jpg

I've got them both hanging in my office...not my actual copies though...It's cool seeing them pop up when I get in collections at the shop...FF I see all the time..the Weird War not so much.

There's a guy on CAF that has the FF cover . I visit it every once in awhile!

FF%20166.jpg

I had plenty of hand me downs from my brothers, but this copy is 1st comic I ever bought.

I paid a quarter at a convenience store. The store is still there and I pass it every day

on my way home from work. It's run down and dirty, but I can still remember the spinner rack

I picked this up off of in the summer of '75.

Here is the actual book that I have had for 37 years...

127433.jpg

127434.jpg

It's kind of funny, but there is a huge clincher at the end of this book and I

never really knew about back issues. So it took me about 4 years (a lifetime for a kid)

to figure out how old spidey got out of being thrown off the top of George Washington Bridge

in chains.

:cloud9:

Yes!! That exact one. He had a lot of much older copies but I was probably drawn to that one because I was familiar with the image of ET.

I got a hand-me-down issue of Mad Magazine #253 from my mom. I don't think I got any of the jokes for many years but I liked the stories about movies I had seen lol

I bought my first comic in 1984 at the age of 10 and was instantly -- and I mean instantly -- hooked. I went home, got a folder out and wrote a checklist of issue numbers in it, then crossed off the one and only issue I had. Not sure where that collector's mentality came from, but it was literally instantaneous for me.

Here's that great comic that basically changed my life, as I have been a collector ever since I read it:

Blackhawk_Vol_1_269.jpg

Now I understand where your good taste comes from… :)

Mark Evanier, I can’t even begin to thank him for all he’s done for (and with) Jack Kirby, let alone the fact that he mantains alive the blog of Steve Gerber. God bless…

I just finished re-reading this Blackhawk run. Indeed it is very good.

It was either an Atlas or pre-hero Marvel with a Mad Robot story titled "I Created Mekano", or an ever-elusive Fox and Crow issue that I can still picture in my mind's eye

I actually ran across the Atlas book a few years back, but I'm durned if I can remember now what title or issue it was.

I'm sure I'll stumble across it again one day and be just as delighted.

My first purchase was a Batman 150 in 1962. Still got it, well beat-up. won't be parting with it.!

I think most of us keep their very first comics, and/or those with a special meaning connected to them. In my case, it would be hard to part with the only worthy page of original art I have, namely a Fantastic Four page by Jack Kirby (issue 62, I think).

In comic book form my very first meeting with those early Marvel stories has happened with an italian collection of Fantastic Four only reprints (title was called "I Fantastici Quattro Gigante" because it was magazine format). When they had back issues returning, the publisher would issue cheap bound trimmed collections and resell them at newsstands, and here’s what mine, more or less, should have looked (bound issues contained Fantastic Four #1 to #9, imagine my awe). :)

public%5C_mercatino_pic%5C22255%5C22255%5C6.jpg

I can't remember my very first comics, as they were always in the house when I was growing up. I can remember the ones that had a significant impact:

Tales from the Crypt 33--a beater copy. Loved the Cryptkeeper origin story. This is around age 8 or so.

Creepshow--the graphic novel adaptation of the King/Romero film. Book scared the kee-rap out of me. My mother had to take it away. Found it in the house years later--still have it!

Batman: The Killing Joke---this was later down the pike, at age 12. Profoundly disturbed me. I grew to love it later.

I also loved the hero stories but I was actually more into the fisher price book/record sets than comics as a little tyke. Had JLA, Wonder Woman, Batman, Supes, Spidey---the usual suspects. I didn't become a loyal , monthly reader until Kraven's Last Hunt hit the stands.

I was 10 years old when my uncle gave me a Tales of Suspense # 83 right off the rack. I remember reading the Iron Man story, then the Cap story that followed. The uncle's friend suggested that I put the item in a safe place for a keepsake, and I gave it to my Mother, who somehow managed to hide it so well, we deemed it lost...for 20 some years.

Moved, relocated, got jobs, college, buying homes, etc., Mother living 2,500 miles away for 33 years, all covered this incident as dead as the GOP.

One day when I was visiting, she handed it back to me. She had it in her photos box, and it was neatly sandwiched between two Beatles' posters we also forgot about, but she valued that photo box as a heirloom.

This TOS # 83 even had the original "Siamese pages" that I was so glad that I did not try to cut with scissors or fingers, and I sent him in to CGC circa 2001, and got back a NM 9.4 with the notation: "Siamese pages". I was offered a princley sum for him during Iron Man 1 but would not budge.

The last of my original collection just got a 7.0; ASM # 122, "death" of the Green Goblin.

CAL with great recall...