• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone give this a 9.6 - 9.8?

41 posts in this topic

Boy a few more posts and it'll be VG.

I'm in at borderline VF 7.5/8.0

The two bottom corners are weak, that might prevent full VF.

I'm a noob grader, but I found the following which definitely precludes this comic book even remotely sniffing the 9.0 or above grade:

On the back cover, the bottom corner looks weird to me.

Z-Imperfection1a.jpg

I also agree with the other poster regarding handwriting on the front cover.

Z-Imperfection2a.jpg

There's probably lot more imperfections these other vets will find. They are experienced and have eagle eyes for this. I'm still learning.

I would grade it a 7.5 based on the 2 imperfections above.

I'm a noob grader, but I found the following which definitely precludes this comic book even remotely sniffing the 9.0 or above grade:

Z-Imperfection1a.jpg

Z-Imperfection2a.jpg

There's probably lot more imperfections these other vets will find. They are experienced and have eagle eyes for this. I'm still learning.

The example of the corner looked like a small impact crease to me.

You guys are on drugs being overly harsh here. It's not a modern and wouldn't be graded as such. I've got a lot of Dells slabbed and raw, and the ones in the 6.0 to 7.5 range all have much more obvious flaws than this book does.

For what it is, that book is a VF every day of the week, maybe a tick higher. It's certainly not a 9.6 or 9.8 though. And I don't think the hand writing would have much (if any) impact on the grade. It's very unobtrusive.

You guys are on drugs being overly harsh here. It's not a modern and wouldn't be graded as such. I've got a lot of Dells slabbed and raw, and the ones in the 6.0 to 7.5 range all have much more obvious flaws than this book does.

For what it is, that book is a VF every day of the week, maybe a tick higher. It's certainly not a 9.6 or 9.8 though. And I don't think the hand writing would have much (if any) impact on the grade. It's very unobtrusive.

Well, I've been accused of worse (e.g., being on drugs) when attempting to grade! I can assure you I wasn't when I was posting in this thread! t3012.gif

Isn't the CGC grading criteria the same for all comic books? You're telling me they're more lenient with older books? Please educate me on this. If CGC doesn't have a uniform grading standard for comic books, what's the point of submitting?

Also, you're saying the handwriting on the front cover has minimal or no impact on the overall grade? yikes.gif

I'm hopeful some of the "vets" of this board will read what I've written and give me guidance as to what CGC uses as a grading protocal. Is it applied uniformly or variably?

Well, I've been accused of worse (e.g., being on drugs) when attempting to grade! I can assure you I wasn't when I was posting in this thread! t3012.gif

Isn't the CGC grading criteria the same for all comic books? You're telling me they're more lenient with older books? Please educate me on this. If CGC doesn't have a uniform grading standard for comic books, what's the point of submitting?

Also, you're saying the handwriting on the front cover has minimal or no impact on the overall grade? yikes.gif

I'm hopeful some of the "vets" of this board will read what I've written and give me guidance as to what CGC uses as a grading protocal. Is it applied uniformly or variably?

CGC most definitely apply different standards to older books. That's why I compared this one with other Dells rather than a comic published last week. I'll let others chime in, but I don't think that's in dispute. And, yeah, for books of this vintage and grade, I think an unobtrusive sig has very little impact. There are GA books with sigs in the 9.6+ range.

Love the smokin' graemlin incidentally. lol

Z-Imperfection1a.jpg

Z-Imperfection2a.jpg

The example of the corner looked like a small impact crease to me.

Most of what you see is probably dirt on a raised crease. Probably not as bad as it looks. The writing will not affect the grade that much. 7.5 is a little harsh. 9.6? No.

If I had to guess based on the scans I would say a 8.5 to be safe.

Most of what you see is probably dirt on a raised crease. Probably not as bad as it looks. The writing will not affect the grade that much. 7.5 is a little harsh. 9.6? No.

If I had to guess based on the scans I would say a 8.5 to be safe.

Hey Joey! I defer to your expertise as usual, and thanks for lining me out about how the signature doesn't detract from a CGC grade as bad as I thought it may.

OK, 7.5 is way harsh.

How about a 8.0? :wishluck:

If this particular comic book is submitted, I will be eager to see how CGC grades it.

CGC most definitely apply different standards to older books. That's why I compared this one with other Dells rather than a comic published last week. I'll let others chime in, but I don't think that's in dispute. And, yeah, for books of this vintage and grade, I think an unobtrusive sig has very little impact. There are GA books with sigs in the 9.6+ range.

I learn something new every day here about our great hobby as well as CGC, and that excites me!

Thanks for educating me about CGC's differing grading standards. Much appreciated!

I learn something new every day here about our great hobby as well as CGC, and that excites me!

Thanks for educating me about CGC's differing grading standards. Much appreciated!

Modok for one thing let me tell you this Doughnut is completely wrong about grading standards.CGC grades a 7.5 Modern as it would a 7.5 Silver Age,as it would a 7.5 Golden Age.A 7.5 is a 7.5 no matter what age it is.If there were different standards of grading CGCs grading would be worthless.

I'm pretty sure thats a Winnipeg pedigree copy based on the sig at the top (thumbs u

It might not grade as high as you hoped but im pretty sure you have a pedigree copy there at least :applause:

edit: for comparison

av30winnipeg.jpg