• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fred Guardineer's 1935-1936 Journal in comic form, plus biographical info

8 posts in this topic

Some great stuff here:

http://dylanwilliamsreporter.blogspot.com/2012/09/fred-guardineers-1935-1936-journal.html

Well, I pounded those pavements. I didn't get anywhere at all but I tried. I finally [met] a guy who had graduated four years ahead of me at Syracuse, a fraternity brother, Tom Lovell. I haven't heard from him in years. His pictures are all over: he illustrated for National Geographic, these beautiful paintings, museums all over the world, in Hawaii and out West. He was a knockout artist, but he was a good friend. When I first came to the city he was doing the pulps. He did some black-and-whites inside but basically he did the covers. He used to do the insides for The Shadow. On the outsides, he was basically doing cowboys and Indians. He invited me to his house for dinner and was giving me tips. He got me a job.

129714.jpg.ae11fefffedc88c9315e947cc5d8cfcf.jpg

I meant to comment; this was cool! Really brings back the feeling of NY in the 30s, when young comic artists were trying to break into a comic industry in its infancy, a la Kavalier and Clay.

I really like Guardineer's work in the earliest Actions and Tecs.

I meant to comment; this was cool! Really brings back the feeling of NY in the 30s, when young comic artists were trying to break into a comic industry in its infancy, a la Kavalier and Clay.

I really like Guardineer's work in the earliest Actions and Tecs.

I enjoyed seeing his notebook. I wish there were more and the art was more polished like his Centaur cartoons. He must have been making a good living in the forties while working for Quality and then Lev Gleason. At least he did a lot of work.

Great post, and a great read! Guardineer is one of my favorites, really under appreciated.

Ditto here. Used to think his work was kind of stiff, but now appreciate how clean and powerful it is.

Thanks for posting this. Great look at a time past!