• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the protocol on receiving insurance money for a damaged comic?

137 posts in this topic

Hey,

I recently purchased a book off of a boardie which arrived damaged in transit. After contacting the seller they filed for an insurance claim on the book. The verdict came in today with USPS granting the amount stipulated on the insurance forms.

The seller asked me what to do from here stating that it could take 30 days to receive the money and asked me what I would like to do from here. I stated that I had no problem waiting the 30 days if that is what it took and that when he got the money he could send it to me.

He replied saying that I can either have half the insurance claim and keep the book or that I should return the book so that he can sell it on ebay and he would send me the money from the insurance.

Is this typical? I'm confused because under normal circumstances I am the one who paid for insurance so I should be getting the money coming from insurance. What I do afterwards with the book is my own business. I feel like the seller is trying to make a quick buck by keeping half the money, or he is trying to sell the same book twice.

Some input would be appreciated.

Hey,

I recently purchased a book off of a boardie which arrived damaged in transit. After contacting the seller they filed for an insurance claim on the book. The verdict came in today with USPS granting the amount stipulated on the insurance forms.

The seller asked me what to do from here stating that it could take 30 days to receive the money and asked me what I would like to do from here. I stated that I had no problem waiting the 30 days if that is what it took and that when he got the money he could send it to me.

He replied saying that I can either have half the insurance claim and keep the book or that I should return the book so that he can sell it on ebay and he would send me the money from the insurance.

Is this typical? I'm confused because under normal circumstances I am the one who paid for insurance so I should be getting the money coming from insurance. What I do afterwards with the book is my own business. I feel like the seller is trying to make a quick buck by keeping half the money, or he is trying to sell the same book twice.

IF

You paid for the comic book in full, it is your comic.

IF

You paid full boat for the insurance, it is your settlement.

IF

Your dealer is wanting cash, ask for a full refund on the book,

plus half the settlement. Mail the book back after the full

refund and half the settlement.

zuckuss2003: Not to sound like an but, because I paid for both the book and the insurance? Same question can be asked why would he be allowed to refund the money I paid but keep the insurance money and resell the book when from his end the transaction was complete.

IF

You paid for the comic book in full, it is your comic.

IF

You paid full boat for the insurance, it is your settlement.

IF

Your dealer is wanting cash, ask for a full refund on the book,

plus half the settlement. Mail the book back after the full

refund and half the settlement.

Awesome;

And yes, I paid for insurance but he had to claim it since he sent it.

Your proposal is an excellent one.

Thanks! :D

pretty sure if you paid the insurance fees, you get the insurance money. AND the book. You basically did POS shipping point, especially if you paid for shipping (which I assume you did). But if you're a bit confused, its possible that he's is just a bit confused too. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, explain to him the situation, maybe drop him a few bucks for the trouble of sending you the check after he gets it.

pretty sure if you paid the insurance fees, you get the insurance money. AND the book. You basically did POS shipping point, especially if you paid for shipping (which I assume you did). But if you're a bit confused, its possible that he's is just a bit confused too. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, explain to him the situation, maybe drop him a few bucks for the trouble of sending you the check after he gets it.

Yeah I explained my situation to him, and I have dealt with him before with no issue. I'll wait until he replies to my latest message and go from there. I wanted to confirm that I was at least in the right frame of mind before making my case, lol.

Thanks guys

you get book you payed cash for

the person that paid for insurance gets insurance money

The seller deserves compinsation for time spent getting the money from the shipper

Seems greedy for the seller to want book he got paid for back ?

:)

OOPS forgot proof of damage is important

Generally, insurance covers the buyer who has paid for the book. However, the claim should be for the loss of value not the purchase price or if the purchase price, then they keep the book to sell at auction. It sounds like USPS gave you a windfall by paying more than the actual loss. The seller is whole because he was paid and his stake in the matter is over. The buyer should keep the windfall because he paid the premium.

Generally, insurance covers the buyer who has paid for the book. However, the claim should be for the loss of value not the purchase price or if the purchase price, then they keep the book to sell at auction. It sounds like USPS gave you a windfall by paying more than the actual loss. The seller is whole because he was paid and his stake in the matter is over. The buyer should keep the windfall because he paid the premium.

That's pretty much it. However, it sounds like you may run into some issues with the seller, because if he's not putting 2+2 together in how insurance works - he's definitely not going to like being told that he's needing to give up all the money and get no book.

I'm surprised that if the seller thinks this way, he didn't ask for the book back ahead of time, before he initiated the claim. If there is some sort of damage to an item (of significant value) I'd be asking for the item back and then refund the buyer their money. That way I end up on the good side of the refund (by being paid, and having the damaged item returned for lower resale), not the buyer.

I guess the seller wants you to return the item for a refund. This is how it works for items that are broken (like a microwave oven or TV).

But with collectibles a damaged item retains some of it value at lower grade....

This is interesting.

Now normally I pay for insurance as I just charge $5 to cover priority shipping and if the sale is big enough to warrant insurance I just pay it myself.

Now when the seller pays for the insurance is he entitled to some of the coin?

hm

Never had a package damaged so I never had to think about it.

hm

I sense scams in the making here...

Send $200 item-break it-now worth $100-get $200 insurance from the post office...

$100 profit (minus shipping/ins fees)

hm

Hey,

If he has been paid for the book and has not refunded your money. You are entitled to keep the damaged book and receive the full insurance entitlement.

If he insist on sharing in the payout he is 'double dipping' (getting paid for the same book twice). But as the sender is the one who has to file the claim and recieves the money it looks like you will have a problem with enforcement of your rights. So it might be worth bargaining for a majority of the settlement. Sometimes you are forced to pay for things that are yours by right... :(

The seller deserves compinsation for time spent getting the money from the shipper

Gyro, going by your statement I end up with nothing except a damaged book.

The way I view it (as do some of the others that have posted) anything that happens after the seller shipped the book to me is not related to him.

And yes, the book would belong to usps but they have stated that they will not claim the book.

Hey,

I'm not quite sure I understand? Didn't the USPS want to see the damage? If they are paying partial claims, it's something new. I know the few times I had to claim insurance (on broken china/glass) they kept everything, even the undamaged pieces. ...but maybe there was a change?

Hey,

I'm not quite sure I understand? Didn't the USPS want to see the damage? If they are paying partial claims, it's something new. I know the few times I had to claim insurance (on broken china/glass) they kept everything, even the undamaged pieces. ...but maybe there was a change?

This. I'm shocked USPS doesn't want the book.

Hey,

This is what I thought-

If the USPS pays the claim they own the package and all that was inside.

:preach:

edit: If they don't take the package see my little "scam" listed above in my other post.

Gyro, going by your statement I end up with nothing except a damaged book.

The way I view it (as do some of the others that have posted) anything that happens after the seller shipped the book to me is not related to him.

And yes, the book would belong to usps but they have stated that they will not claim the book.

Ah,this makes more sense.