• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the protocol on receiving insurance money for a damaged comic?

137 posts in this topic

Why would USPS have been so generous as to offer a full refund, when according to the sellers account, the damage is only about 15%? It seems too generous and blind faith for USPS to be handing out full coverage, especially when they find themselves in a less than favourable financial position.

I have to ask the obvious - was the damage embellished? If the signature helps the book retain it's secondary market value, even in a slightly damaged state, shouldn't USPS be made aware?

Did they pay 100%? I've been scanning the posts but can't find it.

So in trying to learn this procedure, I was informed during the USPS TC that the case was settled based on the investigation by the Canada Post Office. That's why it took so long because Canada has 23 working days to investigate. Per Jason, his post office didn't even care for the book. Did they actually "investigate" the case? Not sure. But I'm wondering if USPS has the pull to enforce proper investigation.

I had asked Jason to keep the book and all the packaging just in case they request it later, but it seems that they never did. Plus, USPS did not state what the amount was for the pending refund, but I did file the claim for the full amount so that's what I am assuming that will be refunded once I receive the docs, complete them and send them back.

USPS seems to be totally relying on the "investigation" of the Canada Post Office because they themselves can't investigate the book. I think that's the reason why the case was settled. The Canada Post Office should have seen all the details about the damage, signature, value, etc. Again, did they? Not sure. This is information only privy between the USPS and Canada Post Office. They may already know about the sig and value.

Why would USPS have been so generous as to offer a full refund, when according to the sellers account, the damage is only about 15%? It seems too generous and blind faith for USPS to be handing out full coverage, especially when they find themselves in a less than favourable financial position.

I have to ask the obvious - was the damage embellished? If the signature helps the book retain it's secondary market value, even in a slightly damaged state, shouldn't USPS be made aware?

That's the impression I got, but the way the details have been diced, I can't say for certain.

I am shocked they paid at all. Maybe the international shipping angle has something to do with it.

Agreed. This is from the USPS site.

"Because international claims require coordination with a foreign postal service, they’re handled differently than domestic claims."

That's the impression I got, but the way the details have been diced, I can't say for certain.

I am shocked they paid at all. Maybe the international shipping angle has something to do with it.

+1

I'm leaning more on the yes because it's standard, but on the question of whether the buyer was made completely whole, I think it's fair to also ask whether USPS refunded the shipping service cost to the seller in addition to the item coverage.

USPS International is very profitable - there's a $21 dollar bump to get it up here. That's when people throw money at problems.

I have to ask the obvious - was the damage embellished? If the signature helps the book partially retain it's secondary market value, even in a slightly damaged state, shouldn't USPS be made aware of it?

As someone who has been screwed this year on 2 separate packages ($550 worth of comics total) shipped via the USPS where they outright hijacked the package from within 20 miles of its destination and then misrouted it across the country and sent it out for delivery on a truck when clearly marked for a different state and the package magically disappears that day forever all I can say is if they gave a full settlement without requiring the book do not jump through any hoops trying to make them "whole" in regards to this. The USPS stated you don't have to return the item already so don't offer to return them anything for how they beat the out of that package.

Back to the OP, which Julio you are not the OP, but the seller the Original Poster is discussing :)

I am not at all shocked at the spin doctoring done in the first post compared to hearing the entire story. The OP does not deserve to keep both the full refund and the book, the book is not yours period unless you are now agreeing to buy it again for X amount. To think otherwise is just crazy now that we have heard the whole story. Julio's offer of a full refund or to get a partial refund and keep it is beyond fair. If you don't give the item back be prepared to be blacklisted on these boards.

I for one would trust Julio with my entire comic collection and always look forward to dealing with him. Unless you are paying something for this item that both the OP and the seller agrees upon then you do not own this book OP. And yes if you get a full refund you are not paying anything towards the item.

Nothing has been refunded or sent yet. He laid out my 2 options stating I can either get a partial refund and keep me book or return the book to him and I will get a refund on my money from the purchase

If it includes shipping and everything and you're made whole I'm not sure what the problem is. You shouldn't want the book---that's why you indicated the damage. The insured value should cover both buyer and seller---you are both made whole as technically he was paid and you are made whole. The book doesn't technically belong to either--the shipping company bought it.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

My comment coming as I am the OP...
:o You are Jay1982?

JK Julio!

:popcorn:

Back to the OP, which Julio you are not the OP, but the seller the Original Poster is discussing :)

Sorry, I meant it as Other Person. ;)

Double dipping, I think so.. he's pulling a fast one on you my friend..

As an example of this type of commenting, I don't think it's accurate or sensible to assume this without knowing who the other person is. The facts have been presented now. As a matter of fact, if you go back on my posts, I never claimed that I wanted the book back for personal gain.

I've been paid for this book. I'm entitled to this book if I were to be an arse and go through Paypal and have the book requested to be sent back to me. Then what? I would have to refund the money from my Paypal account while I wait for the money from USPS on the claim, then turn the book in because it would then be in my possession. I was expecting that the book needed to be turned in somehow...until today. I'm not trying to rip anyone off. That's that.

Nothing has been refunded or sent yet. He laid out my 2 options stating I can either get a partial refund and keep me book or return the book to him and I will get a refund on my money from the purchase

If it includes shipping and everything and you're made whole I'm not sure what the problem is. You shouldn't want the book---that's why you indicated the damage. The insured value should cover both buyer and seller---you are both made whole as technically he was paid and you are made whole. The book doesn't technically belong to either--the shipping company bought it.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Indeed. A thread 7 pages full of hoopla for a book Jason doesn't want? hm Like I stated earlier, I don't know Jason so I am not sure what the intentions are on wanting the book AND the cash. So as the person who took care of the whole headache of a claim should not have anything, but the buyer should have the book and the cash, rhetorically? hm I could care less for that book, but I'm not going to easily sit back and let the "double dipping" occur either.

The obvious answer is to take the refund and burn the book.

I have better idea.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5957684&fpart=1

Ball's in your court, Jason. Still no PM. Not trying to be an arse, man. Since day one I've been trying to make this right and today just pissed me off with this nonsense. Also, it's been mentioned several times in this thread...that book does not belong to either of us.

Julio that is the perfect idea of selling that off and donating to the cause. As always you are a stand up member of these boards.

I hope Jason doesn't just attempt to disappear. This option Jason of sending it back so it can be sold off for charity is the solution.

Julio, I'm happy you chimed in on the thread. And I hope you don't view this as me trying to rally townsfolks with pitch forks and torches. I really wanted to see if I was in the wrong; if you go back to my earlier posts I was still giving you the benefit of the doubt. Nor was I doctoring any information as you made claim to.

With regards to you selling on eBay I went back and re-read one of your last PMs which stated:

Thats the way I list on eBay as well when damages occur during shipping

I misread that and instead read "That way I can list on eBay" my apologies on that.

Jason, I do not believe that I ever mentioned that you would get half the insurance
"are you looming for partial or full refund" This is where I believe you mentioned me getting part of the money for the book. Correct me if I am mistaken; if I was I am sorry.

In terms of paying for insurance I did look at the right side and that is correct I do not see an amount listed. I am a bit surprised at this however and I guess it probably is why we are having this rift because I was sure I had purchased insurance, especially at 32 dollars for a package. Doesn't International Express stipulate that the package must be insured? (thats an actual question as I was told this by another seller).

Looking at it now, yes I see where you are coming from. I still find it odd though how insurance wasn't outright paid for the book. I was sure that it was included.

I dunno man it seems that the problem now lies with my reading skills. And for that I am sorry. I did try to make this thread as neutral as possible giving what I thought were the facts. Clearly I was mistaken on 2 keys points. As I mentioned in my PM to you just now I believe the way I handled the situation and the patience I showed throughout the process speak to my true nature and intentions. As I had mentioned when I thought the book was going to be a write off I was going to donate the book to a 'big brother and big sister' centre for their Christmas day give-away that they do every year. I really don't want the book in this condition but at this point I would rather do something nice and eat up part of the costs by having a partial refund as you suggested.

Either way, I got two big facts wrong and for that I am sorry. I tried my best not to slander or misrepresent you by keeping your name out of the post and removing emotion from it. Hopefully you can see that and that this won't end the possibility of doing any other transactions together in the future.

We can either take this to PMs or do it here. Let me know.

zuckuss2003: Not to sound like an but, because I paid for both the book and the insurance? Same question can be asked why would he be allowed to refund the money I paid but keep the insurance money and resell the book when from his end the transaction was complete.

Why should a book that gets damaged in shipping benefit you financially?

You paid for the book - it arrived damaged - so your options are:

a) return the book for a full refund (including shipping both ways)

b) negotiate a partial refund from the seller and keep the book

That's it.

It blows my mind that you in any way feel that you're entitled to both a full refund and the actual book.

Not applicable in this case anymore as I now see I didn't actually get paid insurance on it with Julio.

But on a hypothetical item I pay insurance for, yes I still think I would be entitled to the money from the insurance (since I paid for it) and the book (since I paid for it) otherwise I am just better off not getting insurance in the first place and having the seller just refund me the money. Otherwise the seller at this point is double dipping as one poster put it. The question comes back to 'well why should the buyer get the money' .....because I paid for insurance to handle a situation in this case; what happens with the seller at that point is irrelevant. He doesn't come out behind in the situation since he received the money for the merchandise he is selling. It has nothing to do with him. I, as the buyer am the one that is left with the problem.

I dunno, thats the way I see it; maybe I'm the one that is out to lunch but I don't see how you can have such a strong stance against this....

Julio, I'm happy you chimed in on the thread. And I hope you don't view this as me trying to rally townsfolks with pitch forks and torches. I really wanted to see if I was in the wrong; if you go back to my earlier posts I was still giving you the benefit of the doubt. Nor was I doctoring any information as you made claim to.

With regards to you selling on eBay I went back and re-read one of your last PMs which stated:

Thats the way I list on eBay as well when damages occur during shipping

I misread that and instead read "That way I can list on eBay" my apologies on that.

Jason, I do not believe that I ever mentioned that you would get half the insurance
"are you looming for partial or full refund" This is where I believe you mentioned me getting part of the money for the book. Correct me if I am mistaken; if I was I am sorry.

In terms of paying for insurance I did look at the right side and that is correct I do not see an amount listed. I am a bit surprised at this however and I guess it probably is why we are having this rift because I was sure I had purchased insurance, especially at 32 dollars for a package. Doesn't International Express stipulate that the package must be insured? (thats an actual question as I was told this by another seller).

Looking at it now, yes I see where you are coming from. I still find it odd though how insurance wasn't outright paid for the book. I was sure that it was included.

I dunno man it seems that the problem now lies with my reading skills. And for that I am sorry. I did try to make this thread as neutral as possible giving what I thought were the facts. Clearly I was mistaken on 2 keys points. As I mentioned in my PM to you just now I believe the way I handled the situation and the patience I showed throughout the process speak to my true nature and intentions. As I had mentioned when I thought the book was going to be a write off I was going to donate the book to a 'big brother and big sister' centre for their Christmas day give-away that they do every year. I really don't want the book in this condition but at this point I would rather do something nice and eat up part of the costs by having a partial refund as you suggested.

Either way, I got two big facts wrong and for that I am sorry. I tried my best not to slander or misrepresent you by keeping your name out of the post and removing emotion from it. Hopefully you can see that and that this won't end the possibility of doing any other transactions together in the future.

We can either take this to PMs or do it here. Let me know.

$32.00 for shipping is actually less than the $32.95 that is charged for International Priority Flat-rate box. Insurance would have added a few dollars more to the price.

We will gladly take the book in the Charity thread for Mike...You can just post it...pictures and all...We are still taking donations today:)

You can even ask that the winner pay shipping if that helps, just specify the amount.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=78&Number=5986851&Searchpage=1&Main=269813&Words=&topic=0&Search=true#Post5986851

We will gladly take the book in the Charity thread for Mike...You can just post it...pictures and all...We are still taking donations today:)

You can even ask that the winner pay shipping if that helps, just specify the amount.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=78&Number=5986851&Searchpage=1&Main=269813&Words=&topic=0&Search=true#Post5986851

That would be the perfect solution :applause: