• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM X-Men 97

14 posts in this topic

I figure since there's been several X-Man recently put up, I might as well add one of mine. :shy:

If I submit this to CGC, you guys think I have a "puncher's chance" for a 9.2?

I want you guys to rip this one apart good and let me know what major imperfections there are which will blast the grade down. The front cover corners are not rounded. Photo doesn't show that, but they are sharp and the same as the back cover's corners.

I promise not to make any more PGM threads for a few days. I apologize if it seems like I'm post 1 or 2 a day. That's not fair to the rest of the membership. Sorry guys. I just get excited to have so many vets look at my books, that I want take advantage.

Good or bad grades, I'm thrilled to get some knowledeable looks. (worship)

X-Men97FrontCover.jpg

X-Men97BackCover.jpg

i say 9.2 is too conservative here, 9.4 for me. It all depends on the spine. Hard to tell any flaws on the spine as is.

No ticks on the spine whatsoever.

Here's a crop of just the spine in 3 sections starting from the top. Not sure it helps, but I thought I'd try to give a closeup.

X-Men97FrontCover1.jpgX-Men97FrontCover2.jpgX-Men97FrontCover3.jpg

Yeah, it's got a shot at a 9.2.

It's a noticeable defect on an otherwise clean book, tough to grade one like that, honestly. Eye appeal v. technical grade.

Yup. That glaring tick in the upper left hand corner of the front cover unfortunately torpedoed this book. :frustrated:

Well, a 9.2 is really nothing to bum out on, so I would be happy if I got CGC to grade it that way. :cloud9:

the contest is over but the answer keys are at the end so if you go thru the first 4 pages and 30 books, you will learn a thing or 2. The best way to learn to grade is to see the result later to compare.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5883864&fpart=1

Thank you so much for providing this information to me. It will be very educational for me to go through the materials you have provided me.

Thank you! c0148.gif

If it is 'bindery' that's cool all the way up to 9.8??? Production defects are not counted until 9.8.

Jake, what does that mean? hm I'm baffled by what you just wrote. :kidaround:

Hey, that bindery defect is the only blemish I can find on this entire X-Men 97 book with my naked eye with a oversized magnifying glass under a bright lamp.

X-Men97FrontCover4a.jpg

Maybe I could hope for a 9.4? That would be awesome! :cloud9:

Yeah, I'd say this has a shot at 9.2 going by pics alone. The photo's seem kinda high in contrast, maybe you can tweak the images on your comp?

I adjusted-decresed the contrast by 50%. Does this help? hm

CGCFront.jpg

CGCBack.jpg

CGCTick.jpg

Well, I don't know if it helps you :sorry: since I can now see a color break to the right of the bindery defect (if that's what that turns out to be). Also a couple minor tics on the back spine. The back scan upper left corner looks like there might be just a little crease or TINY chip :shrug:

But yes, the image looks far better (thumbs u

So with what looks like an edge stress crease on top and spine/corner nicks, plus a SLIGHT roll I'd have to say 9.2 is about as high as it can go IMHO, but if those hits are as visible to the naked eye, maybe 9.0 :eek:. I'm really curious how this book would look scanned hm

Which of course means any comments you get for a photo should be taken with a grain of salt and not be taken as Sacrament.

For that matter, same goes for comments received for a scanned image :preach: