• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicLink November 2012 Auction - McFarlane Strikes Again

65 posts in this topic

ComicLink is on a roll. McFarlane's Spider-Man # 4 cover featuring the Lizard is up for auction. This sold in the open market last year and is being offered up again.

The cover was discussed at length before on these CGC boards. It's a nice cover. Will McFarlane fever continue based on the last Heritage auction?

My Spidey sense is tingling. I think someone recently upgraded to a higher profile McFarlane cover as opposed to looking for a quick flip.

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2Fauctions%2Fpreview%2Easp%3Fcode%3D2012nov%26pg%3D2%23Item%5F946750&id=946750

Cheers!

N.

Matt Ellis had this in his collection for years, No ida why he decided to get rid of it, prollly to buy Bisley paintings...Anyway, it'll go high but the ASM cover mcfarlane did always sell for more. Can't imagine the price of what the ASM 316 cover would sell for if it ever went to auction....1 million???

I agree 100% with you, I smell upgrade. I don't know if I am in the majority or the minority when i say I think it's one of his McFarlane's nicest covers. A little busy, but it's such a classic Spidey pose, fantastic action, and a killer Spidey villain (who just happened to be spotlighted in Spidey's recent movie). The stars could align right for the seller and it may hit a home run in the auction. I'm sure many of us will continue to follow this roller coaster ride we call McSpidey OA.

If I remember correctly, Matt had a bit of a difficult time moving this one, and it changed hands for less than $50k...? And...with so much McSpidey on the market lately, I can't help feeling like something's got to give. I wouldn't expect this one to go much higher than when it sold last year.

Vintage McFarlane Spider-Man covers have raised the price bar in our hobby tremendously ...as Dan said, this one sports a classic pose and the Lizard-- I'd think this was a bargain at 100K?

I'd prefer this one at 125K rather than the others at 500-600K...

I also think Terry, that the prices on our loved EC covers are going to skyrocket soon, as quality material begins to reset prices upwards...90s stuff first, then 80s, 70s, 60s, then 50s...

Rob

#316, why not record prices? As you said, probably number 1 or 2 best of all the covers he ever did. Somehow i think the current owner won't be selling anytime soon. And I wanted to add that I agree with the latest post, Collector9, that this newest Spidey cover up for auction (#4) is going to see great numbers. McSpidey OA has taken us to a new stratosphere when it comes to prices. Like it or not, agree with the prices or not, this bodes well for all collectors as a whole. I don't think you can flood the market when you're only dealing with 40 or so covers in existence.

Totally agree. For starters, SM covers generally command lower prices than ASM covers (roughly 2/3 of ASM prices). And...this isn't a particularly strong example. It's also not fresh to market, and sold for less than $50k less than a year ago. Not sure why anyone would be particularly bullish on this one....

When does this auction end? I see a date of November 14 on the listing page, but wasn't sure if that was the start date or end date. If this auction is after HA, it might get a slight bump if it ends up being a "consolation prize" for someone that missed out on ASM 325 or SM 2.

Vintage McFarlane Spider-Man covers have raised the price bar in our hobby tremendously ...as Dan said, this one sports a classic pose and the Lizard-- I'd think this was a bargain at 100K?

I'd prefer this one at 125K rather than the others at 500-600K...

I also think Terry, that the prices on our loved EC covers are going to skyrocket soon, as quality material begins to reset prices upwards...90s stuff first, then 80s, 70s, 60s, then 50s...

Rob

Why would the resetting of prices move backward? I would think it would go the other way around as people who read comics as kids start maximizing their earning potential.

He is saying that, as a result of the record prices being paid for 80's and 90's art, 70's art will look cheap by comparison...and prices will go up. This will then have the same effect on 60's art, etc.

I agree with you, though...I don't necessarily see a correlation. To further extrapolate, you could say that this would eventually affect the prices on Krazy Kat strips and all earlier strip art. However, today's generation for the most part really doesn't care about all of this older material. It may be "classic", but that doesn't mean the current collectors want to own it. The main reason art from the 80's and 90's is seeing such tremendous gains all of a sudden is the fact that the kids that grew up with these books are now hitting their peak earning years.

That's the way it happens though...younger collectors with more disposable income drive up prices on more recent stuff, and older stuff eventually seems cheap and goes up even more.

it happened in baseball card in the 80s and 90s, even Barbie dolls! If I may say so, 'stupid' money came in and bought relatively recent stuff at crazy prices-- eventually the 'smart' money came in and bought older stuff. There was a time when a Mattingly Rookie card wasn't that much cheaper than a Mantle high end card...that market eventually corrected itself.

(BTW--There's nothing weak about the Herriman-Foster-Raymond market. I don't think the other strip stuff has done well, but whereas I used to buy Herriman KK SUndays for 4-6-7K, now they are 20+ for nicer ones.)

There is always a smaller discerning group who buy classic art -- I didn't grow up with KK, or ECs, or even early Marvel or DC, yet I can appreciate and spend my money on finer examples of those genres.

In 50 years, a great KK will (still) be in demand. Smaller demand perhaps, but the supply isn't large either.

Now, McFarlane does 500K. I assure you that the market will correct and we'll see (smarter money enter and) Ditko, Frazetta, etc sell for much more.

Rob

Boy I could be very wrong but I don't see this one getting big numbers at ALL. Lizards dislocated unhinged jaw is all I can look at. I'm bearish on this one.

Looks cool and who cares? Can someone actually find a Lizard man running around to compare a real one and the one Mcfarlane drew to see if Todd's drawing is anatomy is correct? No. Can a man run 700 mph like the flash? No

So how do you know his jaw can really stetch that far? An anaconda's mouth can dislocate like that. So it could be possible

In talking with several other Mcfarlane collectors, I am asked what I think of all these crazy prices. To be honest, I'm not sure what think--- except that if I can afford to buy more Mcfarlane originals, I will continue to do so.

I've always liked the Spiderman 4 cover. The previous owner had offered it to me. Unfortunately, I didn't get back to him quickly enough and he pulled it off the table. I am a bit surprised to see Spidey 4 cover for sale but I'd imagine there are other things at play that I'm not aware of.

Thanks Dan for the props on my ASM 316. You are correct in that it will not be for sale anytime soon.

Boy I could be very wrong but I don't see this one getting big numbers at ALL. Lizards dislocated unhinged jaw is all I can look at. I'm bearish on this one.

Looks cool and who cares? Can someone actually find a Lizard man running around to compare a real one and the one Mcfarlane drew to see if Todd's drawing is anatomy is correct? No. Can a man run 700 mph like the flash? No

So how do you know his jaw can really stetch that far? An anaconda's mouth can dislocate like that. So it could be possible

I actually think it looks odd as well. (shrug)

That's the way it happens though...younger collectors with more disposable income drive up prices on more recent stuff, and older stuff eventually seems cheap and goes up even more.

it happened in baseball card in the 80s and 90s, even Barbie dolls! If I may say so, 'stupid' money came in and bought relatively recent stuff at crazy prices-- eventually the 'smart' money came in and bought older stuff. There was a time when a Mattingly Rookie card wasn't that much cheaper than a Mantle high end card...that market eventually corrected itself.

(BTW--There's nothing weak about the Herriman-Foster-Raymond market. I don't think the other strip stuff has done well, but whereas I used to buy Herriman KK SUndays for 4-6-7K, now they are 20+ for nicer ones.)

There is always a smaller discerning group who buy classic art -- I didn't grow up with KK, or ECs, or even early Marvel or DC, yet I can appreciate and spend my money on finer examples of those genres.

In 50 years, a great KK will (still) be in demand. Smaller demand perhaps, but the supply isn't large either.

Now, McFarlane does 500K. I assure you that the market will correct and we'll see (smarter money enter and) Ditko, Frazetta, etc sell for much more.

Rob

You can't compare baseball cards from the 80's and 90's to a Mcfarlane Spidey...one is manufactured, the other is not. I've never liked Ditko art, it looks too quirky and never cared for his style. He's no jack kirby or frazetta. A 52 Mantle worth less than an 84 Donruss Mattingly? Since when? Show me the link to the sale.

Mcfarlane art has done nothing but rise in price, it was never cheap, even 10 years ago.

You don't read well Kevin, that's not what I said...I said at that time, a Mattingly rookie card cost the same as a Mantle high end card. Not a '52 Mantle.

Also round that time a NM TNMT #1 was $300, the same price as a Spider-Man #1 in FN.

For the purpose of documenting changing relative value, the example is a good one.

But by your tone, you sound like you are here for an argument.

I am here for light, not heat.

R