• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What was the official reason Marvel cancelled the 1962 Hulk series?

46 posts in this topic

Martin Goodman had a limited number of distribution slots for his comics in early 1963. By that time, Independent News was allowing him 10 titles one month and twelve the next.

The sales for the Hulk were not positive and the bi-monthly book was cancelled as of January 1963 with issue #6. Goodman had little patience with underperforming books and was constantly seeking to maximize his investment across a shifting range of comic book genres.

It was replaced two months later with Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandoes.

It should also be added that Hulk as a character was never dropped. He appeared in a comic every month between Hulk #6 and TTA#59. If you were a fan of him in his own series, you could have still followed him in the Avengers and whatever book he guested in the subsequent months.

DG

Interesting statement and a fun one to check out.

It may have seemed to a reader at the time that he was in a comic every month between January 1963 and June 1964 but not quite.

So as far as I have been able to ascertain, seven true appearances, one cameo, two pinups and only as a head in the corner box of two issues of the Avengers in the sixteen months.*

Hulk #6 was cancelled in January 1963.

He didn't appear for six months until Avengers #1 which hit the newsstands in July 1963. That same month he appeared in a pin-up in Fantastic Four Annual #1.

In September 1963, he was in Avengers #2.

He appeared as Bruce Banner in a single panel of Tales of Suspense #49, October 1963.

In November, he was in Avengers #3.

In January, he was in Fantastic Four #25. His head appears in the corner box on the cover of Avengers #4 that month.

In February, he was in Fantastic Four #26.

In March 1964, he was in Avengers #5.

In April 1964, he appeared in Amazing Spider-Man #14.

His head appears in the corner box on the cover of Avengers #6 in May.

In June 1964, he began in Tales to Astonish #59. He was also in a pin-up in Amazing Spider-Man Annual #1 that month.

So after a six month gap, he never really went off of the Marvel Universe radar -- he just wasn't there all the time.

*I didn't count Marvel House ads in other titles for the Avengers and the Fantastic Four issues where he was represented on the cover, or special announcement notices in titles that had letter pages. That would have been too large an investigation for the sake of this posting but they would have arguably promoted his character -- though only on the same months he actually appeared in another book or the month when Avengers #6 appeared.

At a comic shop where I hung out, someone had taken the time to make a display board showing Marvel's releases by month. Being a Hulk fan, I noticed that Marvel had used him in some manner on the months inbetween. I can't name all the appearances, but it looks like you made a great effort.

Curious to hear what the reason was for Marvel canceling the original Hulk series from 1962. :popcorn:
I don't claim it to be official, but I would guess poor sales. As we know, that isn't the same as poor quality, although that may have been the case as well. Sales are the true dictator of whether a book is worthy of its display space.

Martin Goodman had a limited number of distribution slots for his comics in early 1963. By that time, Independent News was allowing him 10 titles one month and twelve the next.

The sales for the Hulk were not positive and the bi-monthly book was cancelled as of January 1963 with issue #6. Goodman had little patience with underperforming books and was constantly seeking to maximize his investment across a shifting range of comic book genres.

It was replaced two months later with Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandoes.

It should also be added that Hulk as a character was never dropped. He appeared in a comic every month between Hulk #6 and TTA#59. If you were a fan of him in his own series, you could have still followed him in the Avengers and whatever book he guested in the subsequent months.

DG

Interesting statement and a fun one to check out.

It may have seemed to a reader at the time that he was in a comic every month between January 1963 and June 1964 but not quite.

So as far as I have been able to ascertain, seven true appearances, one cameo, two pinups and only as a head in the corner box of two issues of the Avengers in the sixteen months.*

Hulk #6 was cancelled in January 1963.

He didn't appear for six months until Avengers #1 which hit the newsstands in July 1963. That same month he appeared in a pin-up in Fantastic Four Annual #1.

In September 1963, he was in Avengers #2.

He appeared as Bruce Banner in a single panel of Tales of Suspense #49, October 1963.

In November, he was in Avengers #3.

In January, he was in Fantastic Four #25. His head appears in the corner box on the cover of Avengers #4 that month.

In February, he was in Fantastic Four #26.

In March 1964, he was in Avengers #5.

In April 1964, he appeared in Amazing Spider-Man #14.

His head appears in the corner box on the cover of Avengers #6 in May.

In June 1964, he began in Tales to Astonish #59. He was also in a pin-up in Amazing Spider-Man Annual #1 that month.

So after a six month gap, he never really went off of the Marvel Universe radar -- he just wasn't there all the time.

*I didn't count Marvel House ads in other titles for the Avengers and the Fantastic Four issues where he was represented on the cover, or special announcement notices in titles that had letter pages. That would have been too large an investigation for the sake of this posting but they would have arguably promoted his character -- though only on the same months he actually appeared in another book or the month when Avengers #6 appeared.

Great job! I didn't realize the length of the gap between Hulk 6 and Avengers 1. I suppose the fact that they included him in Avengers 1 indicates that they saw the character as promising despite the failure of the Hulk series. I share the view expressed by a few other people in this thread that Hulk 1 is very good, but the other issues in the series were pretty weak. Pretty clear that they hadn't really thought the character through before launching the series.

Great job! I didn't realize the length of the gap between Hulk 6 and Avengers 1. I suppose the fact that they included him in Avengers 1 indicates that they saw the character as promising despite the failure of the Hulk series. I share the view expressed by a few other people in this thread that Hulk 1 is very good, but the other issues in the series were pretty weak. Pretty clear that they hadn't really thought the character through before launching the series.

I happen to like all the early Hulks. It was a period of great evolution, touching experimentation, fun and classic art.

When the book folded in January 1963, the Fantastic Four was only at issue 13 and Amazing Spider-Man #1 had appeared just the month before.

The second issue of Iron Man, Tales of Suspense #40, appeared that month, as well as the seventh appearance of the Human Torch in Strange Tales and the ninth Ant-Man in Tales to Astonish #42. Journey into Mystery #90 meant just eight months of the Thunder God.

It was a great time to read comics and barely a year and a half from the Fantastic Four hitting the newsstands in August 1961.

If the Hulk was primitive, it was a function of birth and not talent.

I believe that Lee, Kirby and Ditko were all prepared to reset the terms of engagement when it came to superhero comics. For every hokey 1950s communist cliche or Atlas monster or alien in the Hulk, you could find elsewhere the core of the revolution that Marvel was starting .

Even in the Essential's black and white, one can find the emotional centre that Lee was crafting with Banner/Hulk.

H1.jpg

H2.jpg

H3.jpg

H4.jpg

I seem to remember that the HULK magazines that came out years later sort of continued with stories that left off with issue #6.

Its been a while that I read them so I might be wrong on that.

And I remenber HULK showing up in a panel of FF as a wall poster of Thing or Torch. But not sure if that was during the HULK run.

You remember pretty clearly, MC. And with a name such as you've chosen, who'd expect any less?

The early B&W Rampaging Hulk mags, did indeed expand upon and continue the continuity from Hulk #6. And the panel(s) you're referencing could be from either FF #5, or Tales of Suspense #33. I have links to those panels, covers, etc., at my Hulk database. Check 'em out and see which panels you remember.

http://hulkdatabase.com/

I just checked those out and I'm thinking it must be the FF #10 poster panel I'm remembering. But I can't help but think there was another. For some reason I keep thinking its in a panel showing a poster on a wall in the background. Either Thing or Torch. Could it of been in Strange Tales? Maybe I'm way off on this but I swaer there was something else. Too bad I don't have my books with me right now at work. Like I use to sneak in my comics into school when I was a kid.

I happen to like all the early Hulks. It was a period of great evolution, touching experimentation, fun and classic art.

When the book folded in January 1963, the Fantastic Four was only at issue 13 and Amazing Spider-Man #1 had appeared just the month before.

The second issue of Iron Man, Tales of Suspense #40, appeared that month, as well as the seventh appearance of the Human Torch in Strange Tales and the ninth Ant-Man in Tales to Astonish #42. Journey into Mystery #90 meant just eight months of the Thunder God.

It was a great time to read comics and barely a year and a half from the Fantastic Four hitting the newsstands in August 1961.

I believe that Lee, Kirby and Ditko were all prepared to reset the terms of engagement when it came to superhero comics. For every hokey 1950s communist cliche or Atlas monster or alien in the Hulk, you could find elsewhere the core of the revolution that Marvel was starting .

Even in the Essential's black and white, one can find the emotional centre that Lee was crafting with Banner/Hulk.

Thanks for another thoughtful, well written post. I love all the early Marvels (although some of the Human Torch Strange Tales stories can be a bit rough) and find it disheartening to see them slammed so hard.

Thanks for another thoughtful, well written post. I love all the early Marvels (although some of the Human Torch Strange Tales stories can be a bit rough) and find it disheartening to see them slammed so hard.

Agreed. I'm very fond of the original 6 issues, loved the stories, loved the art work and loved how raw they were.

I'm very fond of the original 6 issues, loved the stories, loved the art work and loved how raw they were.

They are fun. They are cool. They are silly. They are a lot of things.

But rare ain't one of them. Tough in condition. But not rare.

I'm very fond of the original 6 issues, loved the stories, loved the art work and loved how raw they were.

Never said they were rare.

I meant that they were artistically raw.

.... I just recently picked up the HC Marvel Masterworks volume of Hulk 1-6 and re-read them all from start to finish for the first time in years. I found them to be fresh and compelling....especially in relation to what else was out at the time. Until the internet, those early issues where fairly scarce around here (Tri-City area of a half million plus)......GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Never said they were rare.

I meant that they were artistically raw.

My bad. I misread your post. Sorry.

.... I just recently picked up the HC Marvel Masterworks volume of Hulk 1-6 and re-read them all from start to finish for the first time in years. I found them to be fresh and compelling....especially in relation to what else was out at the time. Until the internet, those early issues where fairly scarce around here (Tri-City area of a half million plus)......GOD BLESS....

I dunno. I admit to not having reread them in several years, but as I remember, they didn't seem to be sure what they wanted to do with the character. Within the space of the six issues, they changed his color, his powers -- he figures out how to fly by taking reaaallly long jumps -- his personality, and how he can be controlled.

I felt the same way with the early issues of Iron Man -- what self-respecting superhero starts out with no sidekick, for goodness sake!

I dunno. I admit to not having reread them in several years, but as I remember, they didn't seem to be sure what they wanted to do with the character. Within the space of the six issues, they changed his color, his powers -- he figures out how to fly by taking reaaallly long jumps -- his personality, and how he can be controlled.

I felt the same way with the early issues of Iron Man -- what self-respecting superhero starts out with no sidekick, for goodness sake!

....that was actually what I kind of liked about them. It seemed more real that way....it really played off the curse/blessing turmoil that an event like that would cause in one's life......what to do now ?....GOD BLESS...

Would be something if Hulk #7 OA were to exist. Think about it, issue 6 is at the press and new art was quite possibly being worked on. Did they pull the plug long before?

That would be great, but you would think that if it existed, one or another it would have been published by now.

Would be something if Hulk #7 OA were to exist. Think about it, issue 6 is at the press and new art was quite possibly being worked on. Did they pull the plug long before?

That would be great, but you would think that if it existed, one or another it would have been published by now.

Perhaps Mr. Ditko is using it as a cutting board. :sumo: