• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Apparently Facebook membership is required to buy high dollar comics

36 posts in this topic

I got yelled at once before for posting Craigslist ads but I am ignoring that scolding for this one. Besides, I buy/sell comics through Craigslist and this is a comics forum, so I don't see the harm.

Anyway, so I see an ad for a TMNT #1 and am interested as I don't own one. The ad is a pitch and I have reservations on whether it is authentic or not and one particular line really had me wondering.

"Due to the anonymity that cyber space generally affords I do request that FaceBook be used to increase my comfort level before additional information about my collection is released and a transaction be made."

Not being sure how the heck the seller would gain comfort from my using facebook I emailed him anyway and said "So, I don’t use facebook but I am interested in possibly buying TMNT 1. How do we proceed then?"

He responded "Sign up for FaceBook. Use it, and get back with me later."

I wondered to myself if is he really trying to sell this book? How would being my facebook friend further our proposed financial relationship?

Annoyed, I sent a lengthy response which I will not write in full here, but basically said he was making it difficult to buy a comic and what is the harm of sharing a few scans via email, talking on the phone, then meeting in a public place?

His response? "Sorry it didn't work out. Don't use Google either if you are afraid of big brother."

I don't get it. I just want to spend a lot of money on a comic he allegedly has for sale.

What am I missing?

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/bks/3261494766.html

Here's another CL ad from Denver, for a TMNT no less, also utilizing FB...

http://denver.craigslist.org/bks/3257889216.html

You actually don't need to send this individual a friend request in this case to see the photos so I'm not sure what's up w/ their intent. Something seems not right in these cases. (shrug)

That's the same person Oakman29 is referring to.

I am marketing a comic book. What is wrong with posting in multiple cities? I use FB to screen out pretend buyers and scammers. Aparently one pretend buyer slipped through but I wonder how many didn't? Since I cant do a face to face with everyone at least FB gives me a little insight as to who I am dealing with and to them me as well. The comics are real and my intentions are genuine. To insinuate otherwise simply because I maximised my exposure through Craigslist is rediculous and impeding my ability to get the word out.

His/her response to me asking questions about his/her stupid selling technique

Has anyone even verified that this is a 1st print? I don't know how to tell the difference, and this person hasn't addressed that little technicality as far as I can tell. (shrug)
The pics showed it as a 1st print,and a very nice grade 9.0+.Though he wants 15K for it,a tad pricey if you ask me.

To each his own. He wants to limit his audience - fine. You don't want to friend him on FB? Fine. No sale. There is no obligation to sell to you just bec you want to buy. And you don't have to buy under terms you don't want.

Has anyone even verified that this is a 1st print? I don't know how to tell the difference, and this person hasn't addressed that little technicality as far as I can tell. (shrug)
The pics showed it as a 1st print,and a very nice grade 9.0+.Though he wants 15K for it,a tad pricey if you ask me.

I would agree that over 9x GPA is a tad pricey.

I also think that 2x GPA (addressing the ebay link posted above) is pricey.

But hey, I think anything that I wouldn't pay is pricey!

Yeah, ya think!!!

I dont remember exactly what the price was but im 99.99% positive it was 15k or less for this 9.6 copy so yeah 15k for MAYBE a 9.0 copy off Facebook seems a tad high :facepalm:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=79&Number=5973172&Searchpage=1&Main=270425&Words=tmnt&topic=0&Search=true#Post5973172

Here's another CL ad from Denver, for a TMNT no less, also utilizing FB...

http://denver.craigslist.org/bks/3257889216.html

You actually don't need to send this individual a friend request in this case to see the photos so I'm not sure what's up w/ their intent. Something seems not right in these cases. (shrug)

That's the same person Oakman29 is referring to.

same clown lol

My only thought after reading that add: how did I not know they are making a new live action Ninja Turtles movie!?!

you're better off not knowing when Bay is involved. he's trying to make them alien ninja explosion turtles :sick:

The intent is to string together as precise a ring of information on anyone inquiring about the book he's allegedly selling.

This kind of information cannot be attained by gmail or hotmail accounts alone, so by luring people into this trap, even if they find someone foolish enough to buy what they are selling, the rest of the names can be harvested and sold to companies who market and sell lists.

Once they have an email, full legal name and phone number, the possibilities are endless as far as how this information could be used to track down the various online footprints left by an individual.

Using the angle of "cred checking" they are also giving a false impression that everything is on the up and up.

The reality is that anything can be spoofed or faked. Online indentities require no legal checkpoint to authenticate, so sky's the limit as far as how fake, and how many ID's can be created to perpetrate wrongdoing.

Added to this is that we are arriving at the point in the evolution of online identity creation where people who want to subvert "big brother" either for kicks or malicious intent, can do so with on-demand tech that fools people into believing you're someone you're not, and/or anywhere in the world you want to be.